Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Transferring vinyl to mp3 (pic)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billy j
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  10:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before we sold my grandma's old house I inherited her collection of Hawaiian music. I donated all of it to a close friend that is a professional musician and kept only these three albums.

I haven't owned a record player since 1989!! Anyone have any luck transferring their LP's to mp3?? How is the sound quality? I see some turntables for pretty cheap. Any recommendations or tips?

I've been waiting to listen to these records for years:

aloha

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  1:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might not need to go to any trouble...

Check the playlists on the vinyls which include Leonard Kwan & Ray Kane -- I'm pretty sure all tracks were included on these two CDs from Cord International released in 2003:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/leonard+kwan/the+legendary+leonard+kwan/
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/ray+kane/the+legendary+ray+kane%3A+old+style+slack+key/

The vinyl entitled "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Instrumentals Vol 2" was re-released on CD as a Gabby Pahinui recording in 1995:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/gabby+pahinui/hawaiian+slack+key+vol+2/

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

billy j
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  3:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for the links Aunty!! I had no idea the re-released those albums. I was able to download the Leonard Kwan and Raymond Kane mp3's but I couldn't find the Gabby album in mp3. Might just buy the CD. Thanks again!!

Almost bought a turntable!!

aloha
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  4:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have converted hundreds of LPs, (including the three you have)45s and 78s with this program.

http://www.acoustica.com/spinitagain/

And a Dual 506 turntable, and a Kenwood amp. All to mp3. I think it's a fantastic way to keep the old music alive.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with you totally, Mark. I'm not tech-savvy, but thankfully my husband is -- and he digitized all my vinyls a few years ago. After he'd put about 100 on CDs, we realized it would be better (and easier) to just load the mp3s onto my "broadcast" laptop (my Mac is dedicated solely to my music library).

The transfer of the remaining hundreds of vinyls (and cassettes) went fast and smooth. We bought a beautiful turntable online to get the project started, and then he used Audacity for the capture, and WaveCorrector for the audio adjustments (glad he corrected the skips, but had him leave in the hisses and pops...trying to keep the tracks sounding like vinyl, not overly re-mastered). I think that now there are far easier ways to digitize...but we're holding on to our turntable.

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  4:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a turntable that plugs directly into my PC via USB port/cable. The import into MP3 is a piec of cake and the quality depends on how much effort you want to expend.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  8:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh, what's a "turntable"?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  06:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry funny, Julie!

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  07:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's an integral component of my grammophonic unit. As are the horn, the flywheel, and the hamsters.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  08:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

Uh, what's a "turntable"?

Julie

I still remember walking into a "record" store after a few years in the jungle- an no moa records!

Just these funny looking little discs with a rainbow reflecting from them.

The salesman dropped one on the floor and stomped on it, to demonstrate that they never break, scratch, or skip. Ha, ha!

Edited by - ypochris on 01/11/2012 08:01:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  9:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't done these transfers, but Costco has a turntable that does this for about $70,
it's currently in the Denver/Lakewood Costco right now, but availablity of these things come and go, and obviously vary from Costco to Costco.

One of my favorite radio dj's, Wendy, at KUNC in Greeley, Colorado ( our superb local PR and "diverse" music station that actually plays slack and Hawaiian from time-to-time)...
did do a transfer of an Auntie Edith album for me recently, and even had a computer program to clean it up--a little-- there's limits!

and she couldn't save the other album that I bought on Big Island at an antique store ( see below). It cracked in two halves in my suitcase, but maybe I'll melt those together in my car window when it warms up in May.
But I know it will always have a Rift!
so chances are pretty much 100% it "just won't play, just won't play, just won't play". (Remember the John Hartford song?)

So in reality, that one's a goner, but Wendy did salvage Auntie Edith Kanakaka'ole's
"Hi'ipoi I Ka Aina Aloha", (Cherish the Beloved Land)
and it had some young pickers named George and Moses Kahumoku in the band!

AND, If you're ever on the Big Island... for old records:
going south on Hwy 11, out of Kona, check out the antique store on the right, with the Red Front (not the name, just my description) -- somewhere towards Capt. Cook... some nice stacks of wax, and they also have the best ice cream!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/13/2012 10:02:28 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000