Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Thumbs & Slip in HI
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  08:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thumbstruck and I are headed for Oahu tomorrow for a 10 day stay. Look out! Here we come! btw, we're glad that it's tomorrow - SeaTac airport is closed this morning due to snow, and our flight leaves at 9:20. No'eau got out just in time! Looking forward to hangin' wid da local boyz & jammin'.

keaka

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  09:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For anyone in the Islands following their progress, the boys' flight has been delayed (likely due to the loverly weather in Seattle) - as I type this, it's due to depart at Noon PT.

UPDATE: Now listed as 1 pm.

Edited by - Retro on 01/19/2012 10:34:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  11:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Safe travels. Hope you are feeling better, Retro.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  11:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like they left the gate right at 1:01 Pacific; they will truly appreciate the O`ahu weather now!
(And yes, I am doing MUCH better now, thanks.)
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  10:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Da Weatha! Yeah! We were scehduled to leave on time, but SeaTac ran out of de-icing fluid, so we sat around until 1pm, got on the plane (passengers have to be boarded before the fluid is pumped on), and the plane took off at 2 (11 am Pacific Time). We got to Honolulu at 6:15 Pacific Time and into Kailua by 7:30. It was wonderful going from 33 degree Seattle to 79 degree Kailua! Now I'm sitting here at the table listening to thumbs play. We're up for playing with the Oahu ohana now.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  10:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we were kept OUT of SeatTac by the weather, so we missed not only a court hearing, but will miss the kanikapila at Jean's. You folks enjoy that tropical heat. I wish I were with you...

Julie

PS, In the 70's I had a sweetheart living in Lanikai, so I got to know Kailua fairly well. Buzz's still there?

Edited by - Julie H on 01/20/2012 10:37:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  11:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

Yes, we were kept OUT of SeatTac by the weather, so we missed not only a court hearing, but will miss the kanikapila at Jean's. You folks enjoy that tropical heat. I wish I were with you...

Julie

PS, In the 70's I had a sweetheart living in Lanikai, so I got to know Kailua fairly well. Buzz's still there?

thumbs and me are having dinner there tomorrow with Alan Akaka, Addison and Sharon Ching (another steeler) and perhaps No'eau and his wife Mary Ann. We stay Awakea Street 3 blocks from Kalapawai Market, 5 block from Buzz'. We had lunch there today - calamari appetizer and mai tais. Life is tough!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  11:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a great evening with No'eau. Supper at Zippy's Kailua and 4 hours of music -slack key and resonator steel. WOW!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  11:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG, Tell Alan Akaka I was so tempted to sign up for February Aloha Music Camp, as he's teaching there. But my situation is such that there was no way I could pull it off. Ask him what tuning he will be teaching.

Strange thing is that I live within a few miles of Patti Maxine, the Queen of Steel, but we just never seem to have the same time available for lessons. My long-scale Fry Pan is rusting in the closet!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  4:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

OMG, Tell Alan Akaka I was so tempted to sign up for February Aloha Music Camp, as he's teaching there. But my situation is such that there was no way I could pull it off. Ask him what tuning he will be teaching.

Strange thing is that I live within a few miles of Patti Maxine, the Queen of Steel, but we just never seem to have the same time available for lessons. My long-scale Fry Pan is rusting in the closet!

Julie

Alan isn't sure yet what he'll teach. Last February he taught "Hene Hene Koaka" for the beginners in C6 tuning and "Paradise Found" (aka "Hana") in B11 for the advanced students. Those of us who were advanced played both tunes. Alan is a fabulous teacher, and a dear friend of mine. His school is "Ke Kula Mele" in Kailua. There is a website. Alan gives lessons to mainlanders, Japanese and other malahini folk via Skype. So, if you cannot get to Aloha Camp, contact him about Skyoe lessons.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  4:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a steel lesson from Alan yesterday. :). Last night No'eau came over. We went to Zippy's Kailua for supper, then came back to thumbd & my place and played music until midnight. It's so good to be in HI same time as him and Maryanne. Tonight dinner at Buzz's in Lanakai with friends, tomorrow a jazz session with an LA friend then to The Kona Brewery in Hawaii Kai to play with Led.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000