Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Jeff Peterson tabs...like a trip to camp!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  10:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's like going to camp (almost) if you can't get there...
and allows time to work on it at home, till you go!
Beware, there's two levels of stuff on his site...
He offers meticulous music with tabs of many of his challenging pieces from the cd, and THESE ARE GENERALLY TOUGHER...with some exceptions, and those exceptions are great for we of wannabe set with moderate, intermediate skills...

But, and THIS is what I recommend for most of us, modest, shade tree, couch potato pickers:
*** HIS Hand-Written Tabs, which were created for his workshops at camps like George's, Keola's and other locations, for people like us!

On a given day, he would do an hour workshop on a specific artist and often offer a couple tabs that are virtually the same as some of the Dancing Cat versions...so many are now available through his contact info on his web page,

Tabs on Sonny Chillingworth, Leonard Kwan, Led, and others...based on recordings you may, or should have in your stacks!
The Hand-Written Tabs very much geared towards camp level learners, not entry level, but perfect for intermediate players...

some of my Favorites from camp:
Leornard Kwan's "New Ophi Moe Moe #3
Sonny's "Wai Ulu", PapaKolea" (in taropatch not the Mauna Loa g tuning--but outline is still essentially the same.
Charamita/Malasadas (double slack, like the original)
and some others...
Maui Waltz etc.

So generally very close to recorded version.
Koke'e is a good basic version in C Wahine, not the one recorded in C mauna loa, but a good place to start on a beautiful tune.

As to the more challenging, meticulous notated music and tab from his recorded and other high level Jeff... again, It's tougher...
But there are a few that are accessible/playable (again not entry level...and have the heart of the arrangements, although he does leave out some of his lenghty improvisations later in longer songs...I would!

But be warned, the printed music with tab selections are mostly from his recordings, and can be intimidating and hand/mind stretching! I still like to work sections or plough through slowly...when I need a humbling experience...but until I take some classical or other skill training, so it's mostly for later study, or playing in small chunks, or just intellectual awareness of how he does some of his pyro-technical stuff!
Not sure if he packages the tabs other than separately, and there's also the entire collection available, so it'd be nice if he had a mid-size package for just the tabs...and a couple of the taropatch studies or easier tunes in music.
Anyway, I'm glad it's available.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/28/2012 11:09:22 AM

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  3:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got "Maui on my Mind" and "Hawaiian Skies" from Jeff on his website, and have after months of work gotten "Maui" down to a performable competence. It was as you suggest a bit intimidating, but beautiful enough to perservere. I have not tackled Hawaiian Skies yet. He has a vast selection on his website of both printed and hand written stuff for very reasonable prices. He takes PayPal.
Aloha
Allen
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  1:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help! I went to his website and didn't see any place to get tabs. What am I missing? I know I can contact him via email and get stuff (I've done it), but a web download would be really convenient. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  1:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also been working on some of Jeff's tabs recently. "Kaua'i Beauty" is a handwritten one in drop C in 3/4 time. I've added a bridge and an extra verse. "Aloha Ia No 'O Maui" is handwritten in G- sounds like Led and Fran's jam on youtube. "Wai Ulu" sounds like Sonny's version from the Dancing Cat album and I play it with "Kaula 'ili"- both in taro patch in 3/4 time. I've even been trying the "needle-and-thread" technique like Sonny does in the video with these songs. I like the sound, but I don't recommend it if you have a pickup in your soundhole, because the needle will stick to the magnets on the pickup!!

For advanced players, try "Kahealani" and "Maui On My Mind". I've worked out my own arrangement for "Kahealani" in Keola's C (CGDGBE), because it too difficult to play Jeff's version on a 12-string.People really seem to like this song. I'm going to work on "Maui" pretty soon- you're right, it DOES look a bit intimidating!
And for the really advanced players, try "Punahoa Special". This is in the Bb (or C) Maunaloa tuning (FBbDFGD). This is one of the most unusual tunings and I can't really play this one yet. Duke's version, Jeff's version and of course Led's version are all incredible.

My bandmate Maggie has been taking lessons from Jeff via Skype. She says he is a really good teacher and this might be an option for people with a high speed internet connection who can't travel to Hawaii.

Below is a link to a list of his tabs.

Edited by - guitar yogi on 11/29/2012 2:01:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  1:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://jeffpetersonguitar.com/?p=203
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  09:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Chunk,
I think you have to contact him through the website or email to get the tabs--as I recall he sends them after sending you an invoice.
Aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  11:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"And for the really advanced players, try "Punahoa Special". This is in the Bb (or C) Maunaloa tuning (FBbDFGD). This is one of the most unusual tunings" scored in C,"

but definitely lower to the Bb lower version if you like your guitar. at first I thought it was just Whee Ha Swing in disguise, but then checked key and looked it over...tricky, syncopated, and different,
also want his Whee Ha Swing, which I missed when I purchased the charts back in 2010 or 2011.
I like "Na Kupuna O Haleakala" for playability...and he adds a variation in the mid range which is not written, but can be figured out.

He also has a challenging Canon in D, played in Taropatch...very true to form...don't remember if he has that listed...but I find it fun to work through.

Violinists have played this to ad nauseum, from 5th grade versions to the Kalmus versions played at weddings...but it's fun to tackle on guitar. and don't throw this on out, if you like playing weddings....but wait till you can play it well, we want the sacrement to take.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  11:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Guitar Yogi

"And for the really advanced players, try "Punahoa Special". This is in the Bb (or C) Maunaloa tuning (FBbDFGD). This is one of the most unusual tunings" scored in C,"
-----------------------------------------------------
BUT definitely lower to the Bb lower tuning/version (if you like your guitar). at first I thought it was just Whee Ha Swing in disguise, but then checked key and looked it over...tricky, syncopated, and different,
also want his Whee Ha Swing, which I missed when I purchased the charts back in 2010 or 2011.
I like "Na Kupuna O Haleakala" for playability...and he adds a variation in the mid range which is not written, but can be figured out.

He also has a challenging Canon in D, played in Taropatch...very true to form...don't remember if he has that listed...but I find it fun to work through.

Violinists have played this to ad nauseum, from 5th grade versions to the Kalmus versions played at weddings...but it's fun to tackle on guitar. and don't throw this on out, if you like playing weddings....but wait till you can play it well, we want the sacrement to take.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/30/2012 11:59:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  11:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Guitar Yogi

------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUT definitely lower to the Bb lower tuning/version (if you like your guitar). at first I thought it was just Whee Ha Swing in disguise, but then checked key and looked it over...tricky, syncopated, and different,

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 12/01/2012 12:00:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  12:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And like I said, I really enjoy the hand-tab stuff from camp...
"Charmarita/Malasadas" in double slack and just like the Sonny version is a favorite.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000