Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 2012 Grammy Awards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  03:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I saw Retro posted already, but I thought this deserved its own thread. Congrats to all the nominees. Interesting that Daniel Ho has been nominated in the World Music category.

Field 13 - American Roots

Category 49 - Best Regional Roots Music Album

(For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new vocal or instrumental regional roots music recordings.)

• Malama Ko Aloha (Keep Your Love)
Keola Beamer
['Ohe Records]

• Shi Kéyah – Songs For The People
Radmilla Cody
[Canyon Records]

• Pilialoha
Weldon Kekauoha
['Ohelo Records]

• Nothin' But The Best
Corey Ledet With Anthony Dopsie, Dwayne Dopsie And André Thierry
[Corey Ledet]

• The Band Courtbouillon
Wayne Toups, Steve Riley & Wilson Savoy
[Valcour Records]

Field 15 - World Music

Category 51 - Best World Music Album

(For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new vocal or instrumental world music recordings.)

• Folila
Amadou & Mariam
[Because Music / Nonesuch]

• On A Gentle Island Breeze
Daniel Ho
[Wind Music Int'l Corp. & Daniel Ho Creations]

• Jabulani
Hugh Masekela
[Razor & Tie]

• Traveller
Anoushka Shankar
[Deutsche Grammophon/Universal]

• The Living Room Sessions Part 1
Ravi Shankar
[East Meets West Music]

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/full-2013-grammy-nominations-list-article-1.1214356#ixzz2EHOmcn00

Andy

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  04:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahem! And the all slack-key soundtrack to "The Descendants" was nominated too for Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media (the album was released 6 weeks too late to make last year's Grammys) Congratulations to all the musicians on the album!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  07:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To show what "The Descendants" soundtrack is up against:

Category 56 - Best Compilation Soundtrack For Visual Media

The Descendants
(Various Artists)
[Sony Classical/Fox Music]

Marley
(Bob Marley & The Wailers)
[UMe/Island/Tuff Gong]

Midnight In Paris
(Various Artists)
[Madison Gate Records, Inc.]

The Muppets
(Various Artists)
[Walt Disney Records]

Rock Of Ages
(Various Artists)
[WaterTower Music]

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  07:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Interesting that Daniel Ho has been nominated in the World Music category.
His album is a collection of Taiwanese melodies he learned while working with musicians there as well as original songs inspired by that trip, and it features a number of the local artists performing on the songs - hence the "World Music" designation, rather than being a Hawaiian (thus "Regional Roots") release.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  6:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am glad to see that Keola got a nomination. He certainly deserves one.

Speaking of "The Descendants", I am a little disappointed that Dennis Kamakahi (along with Stephen Inglis) did not get nominated. His and David's version of "Ulili E" shows up quite prominently in the soundtrack and even at the Oscars was used as the "movie theme music" as the award was presented.

Of course, I would have liked the production I worked so hard on (Norton Buffalo and George Kahumoku - From Paradise) to garner a nomination, but such was not the case.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  08:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First -- to clarify -- although announced now (in 2012), these lists are the 2013 Grammy nominees.

@ Lawrence -- re: Dennis Kamakahi not being nominated...he did not release a CD in 2012 (a requirement for 2013 nomination).

With this "Regional Roots Music" now representing Hawaiian, Cajun, Zydeco, Native American and Polka (http://www.grammy.org/node/124715), it's impressive that the five finalists include TWO Hawaiian recordings. Woooooot!!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  11:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But what about Waimaka Helelei? Stephen Inglis and Dennis Kamakahi released that album in November 2011, which would have made it eligible for this round of the Grammys. Too bad we don't see it in the Regional Roots category. It is an incredible album - don't get me and Wanda started on it, we can go on and on about how NUTS we are about Waimaka Helelei......
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  2:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
@ Lawrence -- re: Dennis Kamakahi not being nominated...he did not release a CD in 2012 (a requirement for 2013 nomination).

Sorry to correct you Auntie, but Dennis and Stephen's "Waimaka Helelei" WAS on this years preliminary ballot which I just sent in a few weeks ago. One thing to note: The Grammy submission year goes from September to September and "Waimaka Helelei" was too late in the year for submission to last years Grammies.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/08/2012 4:30:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  4:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  8:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, Lawrence, for getting the correct info out on (a) "Waimaka Helelei" having been eligible, just not making the preliminary cut to become a nominee; and (b) the eligibility time period (which is actually October 1 to September 30).

Also - the Grammy Awards do not use a year in their designation; hence these are neither the "2012" nor "2013" awards - they are "the 55th Annual Grammy Awards."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000