Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Lei No Kaʻiulani on Gabby Pahinui's Brown Album
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  04:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys - I've been listening to Gabby's Brown Album lately and I am loving that long acoustic intro to Lei No Ka'iulani. Before I twist myself into knots trying to figure out that intro - does anyone know what tuning that is? He is singing in Bb, so I guess Gabby tuned the guitar down from one of his C tunings, but which one? Just thought I would ask.

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  8:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Claudia,
It's been a while. The Martin 12 string on Lei no Ka‘iulani would be Gabby’s Maunaloa. On Brown Gabby it was tuned to Bb - BbFDFGD. In the key of C this would come out as CGEGAE. The concluding musical statement is Blah playing a classical in standard tuning down a whole step.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  3:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess I better fess up, which one is the "brown album"?
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  5:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Gabby" was the official name of the "Brown Album", so nicknamed because of the color of the album cover. "Gabby" was released in 1972 and was the first of the classic Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band albums. They feature Gabby, Cyril, Martin and Bla Pahinui, as well as Atta Isaacs, Joe Gang Kupahu and on the later ones, Sonny Chillingworth and Ry Cooder. All these albums are worth getting and are all real treasures.

Edited by - guitar yogi on 12/22/2012 12:13:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  10:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The brown album was titled Pure Gabby produced by Dave Guard of the Kingston Trio. It was just Gaby and one uke and one bass played by musicians who were not too well known to the general public. Dave just wanted to record gabby since most of his recordings were with gruops. So thi one just one singer, the man himself.He played all the guitar parts too.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  10:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

The brown album was titled Pure Gabby produced by Dave Guard of the Kingston Trio. It was just Gabby and one uke and one bass played by musicians who were not too well known to the general public. Dave just wanted to record gabby since most of his recordings were with groups. So this one had just one singer, the man himself.He played all the guitar parts too.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  07:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Peter for the heads-up about which tuning for this particular version of Lei No Ka'iulani! Thank you so much for your swift reply! So now I have started tackling it - its a challenge. I don't have a 12 string guitar - I hope that doesn't trip me up. (if I need those extra 6 strings for the intro for this song, then I might be dead in the water!)

@ Kapila Kane, The Brown Album I was referring to is entitled "Gabby," produced by Steve Siegfried, Witt Shingle and Lawrence Brown in 1972. Its one of my favorite albums of Gabby - its fantastic!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  8:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  03:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bla with no "h". He is anything but Blah.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  09:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Claudia, it is interesting that you bring up this song and this version of it... This is the song which led me to all discoveries about slack key guitar more than 30 years ago.

Up until I heard this record (I was about 10 years old), I had only played standard tuning. I tried to play along to the intro to this song, and I just couldn't. The sometimes half-tone intervals required a 7-fret stretch. It didn't make sense.

That was when I started reading up on slack key and bought the Beamer book. In no time I was able to conquer that intro in taropatch tuning capoed up three frets to Bb. I still play a solo version of that song - using that intro - to this day.

And, according to a conversation with Cyril many years ago, I believe he arranged the song - both the intro and the beautiful ending. I mean, after all... When you think diminished chords in slack key, don't you think of Cyril?

~ Bill

Check out the new home of the Ho'olohe Hou blog...on Facebook!

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 01/07/2013 09:55:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  10:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not to be contrary to Bruddah Al, but the other musicians on "Pure Gabby" (which is not the brown album referred to) were legends in the same right as Gabby - Sonny Nicholas and Danny Stewart.

Sonny Nicholas was an old school Hawaiian musician who had been with the Hawaii Calls radio broadcasts since the 1950s as well as on stage around Waikiki and on recordings with Pua Almeida, Hilo Hattie, and Alfred Apaka.

Danny Stewart appeared in more than five dozen movies or TV shows set in Hawai'i - usually as a musician - and was the arranger/orchestrator for numerous albums by Alfred Apaka and George Kainapau as well as the film "Donovan's Reef." Danny was also a fabulous steel player who recorded with Pua Almeida, Barney Isaacs, Jules Ah See, Lani Kai, and the classic Mahi Beamer albums. He was one of the last steel guitar players for the Hawaii Calls radio shows before his untimely passing in 1962.

~ Bill

Check out the new home of the Ho'olohe Hou blog... on Facebook!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000