Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key and Tiple!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  08:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stumbled over a bargain on a vintage Martin Tiple on Ebay a few weeks ago, one reason I bought it was knowing that Ledward would be visiting, he has mentioned in the past that one of his Aunties had a tiple that she featured at family parties. If Ledward didn't play guitar, he would be known as one of the world's premier uke players, so I figured he would be able to bring out the best in this little instrument.

The Martin Tiple is a 10 string, 4 course instrument with steel strings. It's tuned like a uke, although many seem happier in the D6 version of uke tuning (A D F# B) rather than the C6 (G C E A) that is more common today. The strings are arranged as an octave pair, octave triple, octave triple, and unison pair (low to high).

Ledward has been tweaking and tuning the tiple since he arrived, and he's found a number of different ways to address the instrument. It makes a supremely jangly Tahitian uke sound, it can be strummed with swing chords for rhythm, or fingerpicked Kalapana style. I set up some cameras and mics and we came up with a couple of video clips:

"Nanea Ko Maka I Ka Le`ale`a" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oXh9KgFeV8

"Lili`u E" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en-7Zu1Yaqw

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  10:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Led never ceases to amaze!

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice duet Fran and Led. Sounds great!

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  06:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The tiple was also featured in black and country string/vocal music in the '30s--especially in the hotter-than-the-Mills-Brothers Cats & The Fiddle. There's a nifty blog dedicated to the instrument and the music--

http://martintiple.blogspot.com/

Here's the post on the Cats--

http://martintiple.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post_06.html
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  08:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ledward tells me that Peter Moon played some hot tiple during Sunday Manoa days. And Sheldon Brown played one as part of Wai`ehu Sons. The Hawaiian side of things is notably missing from the Martin Tiple site.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  09:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ry Cooder is/was a great fan of the tipple. He can be heard playing it on the Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band album. He played it much like a mandolin, with a flat pick.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Ledward tells me that Peter Moon played some hot tiple during Sunday Manoa days. And Sheldon Brown played one as part of Wai`ehu Sons. The Hawaiian side of things is notably missing from the Martin Tiple site.

Fran

Hi Fran,
Peter Moon played a couple of custom made Koa tiples. The fretboards were wider and had a longer scale length than the Martin. In the early seventies, there were less than a handful of luthiers in Hawaii -- fewer who knew how to make a tiple.

I do not recall if Peter's tiples were from Eric Kingsbery over at Kamaka or if another luthier at another shop made them. Kamaka Ukulele was the leading shop at that point in time, and Eric was the shop's primary luthier. I know it wasn't Douglas Ching another excellent luthier from Hawaii.

I was fortunate at that time to buy a custom tiple from Eric. He made my tiple out of a beautiful cut of curly koa with a redwood top. Instead of ten strings, mine was made with eight using mandolin tuners. He explained to me that there were a number of tiples being repaired with warped necks and pulled bridges because the ten strings were putting too much stress on the small instrument. It was a good decision. My instrument is in excellent condition forty years later, I still use it to record, and play -- it still sounds sweet and cherry.

Say howzit to Led folks for me.
Laters PM

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 02/08/2013 6:15:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  6:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 1928 Martin T-28 over 20 years ago. It needed a bunch of work, new frets and fingerboard and refinishing (someone had tried to "fix" it). I sold it to a Jazzoid who just loved it. It was gratifying to know that it went to a good home. Still, it had a great sound. Great for back-up. I remember hearing Peter Moon with The Sunday Manoa. Cool stuff.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh Kory

Ramon Camarillo was playing a tiple when we sat in with him at Nico's a little while ago. He plays it at all his performances now days. Aaron Oya who plays bass for Ramon & Ke Kani Nahe built the tiple & also Ramon's other uke too.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  09:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

Hi Fran,
Peter Moon played a couple of custom made Koa tiples. The fretboards were wider and had a longer scale length than the Martin. In the early seventies, there were less than a handful of luthiers in Hawaii -- fewer who knew how to make a tiple.

I do not recall if Peter's tiples were from Eric Kingsbery over at Kamaka or if another luthier at another shop made them. Kamaka Ukulele was the leading shop at that point in time, and Eric was the shop's primary luthier. I know it wasn't Douglas Ching another excellent luthier from Hawaii.

I was fortunate at that time to buy a custom tiple from Eric. He made my tiple out of a beautiful cut of curly koa with a redwood top. Instead of ten strings, mine was made with eight using mandolin tuners. He explained to me that there were a number of tiples being repaired with warped necks and pulled bridges because the ten strings were putting too much stress on the small instrument. It was a good decision. My instrument is in excellent condition forty years later, I still use it to record, and play -- it still sounds sweet and cherry.

Say howzit to Led folks for me.
Laters PM

Aloha from Led and Sharon, Peter, and thanks for the detailed info.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  09:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I had a 1928 Martin T-28 over 20 years ago. It needed a bunch of work, new frets and fingerboard and refinishing (someone had tried to "fix" it). I sold it to a Jazzoid who just loved it. It was gratifying to know that it went to a good home. Still, it had a great sound. Great for back-up. I remember hearing Peter Moon with The Sunday Manoa. Cool stuff.

My little T-18 has gone through quite a bit, with a side crack, one on the back, a couple of case bites, the strum wear, and lots of overspray that could be hiding stuff. And it could definitely benefit from a neck reset and maybe a new bridge/saddle with real compensation.

But who's complaining, as long as I have the right driver she go!

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  09:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Eh Kory

Ramon Camarillo was playing a tiple when we sat in with him at Nico's a little while ago. He plays it at all his performances now days. Aaron Oya who plays bass for Ramon & Ke Kani Nahe built the tiple & also Ramon's other uke too.

And one really beautiful one for Ledward, and the bass he plays too, eh? Plus speaker cabinets and who knows what else? That Aaron knows his way around wood.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  4:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Fran, mahalo for that tidbit. I didn't know Aaron built a uke for Ledward. I love Ramon's main uke that Aaron built out of what he called "scraps" That uke has a nice warm sound & plays like butter. The tiple he built I'm less than impressed with it. To me it sounds a little "tight" It doesn't have very good projection in my opinion. Terry Brown an ukulele kumu in Honolulu that I play out a lot with owns a Kanilea Steel 8 string that I like much better.

Here's a sample;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMn_p_rpOko

When Ry Cooder recorded with the Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band on the "Moonlight Lady" album instead of Peter Moon I was pissed because I didn't know who Cooder was. Didn't know he was such a bad ass musician on practically anything with strings. This is not but Hawaiian but...........YIKES!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qFIKcSPfk

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000