Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 One from the backyard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  10:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ledward and Sharon left on Monday morning, you folks in the Northwest have some real fun coming your way. We got a little sunshine on Sunday afternoon and set out to capture some tunes with the Tacoma Papoose.

Now there seems to be a force of nature that calls Murphy's Law into action whenever I set up a video camera. So I'm never surprised when something goes wrong, and I always shoot for hours hoping to catch a few minutes worth keeping. And I often find myself compromising in one direction or another. I guess it's just like life <grin>.

When I looked through the clips from our Papoose shoot Murphy was looking over my shoulder with a big grin! Mic problems, light problems, exposure problems, passing planes, passing jets, passing helicopters! At one special moment I could hear all three - and of course they were in the wrong key!!

With all that, though, this tune jumped out at me. It's overexposed on the video side but too good to pass up for the music. It's the classic "Ku`u Ipo Onaona" arrangement passed down from Uncle Fred Punahoa to Ledward, and a feature of Led's repertoire since Hui Ohana days. He teaches this arrangement in his instructional DVD, by the way, and the Homespun disc includes tab.

So here's our Papoose and OX duet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTLS7unWnBM

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  6:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote