Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Advice on slack-key for class assignment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  6:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manawainui

So I wanted to ask the members here for feedback, things like what helped you out when first learning slack key, or what you learned later that you wished you had known earlier. Basically any advice that you think describes the techniques, mindset, or anything else that would be good for a beginner to the style.
Ozzie Kotani's book was inspirational for me. That said, you might want to recognize the fact that traditionally, the cultural transmission of folk music is through learning by ear. Beyond just playing the notes or specific techniques, there is culture and tradition behind slack key guitar music. A song, a feeling, or a unique style passed from one individual (kumu) to another (student.) I think it is important to understand the history and honor the tradition.

Playing-wise, good timing is important. Listen to lots of recordings and lots of live performances. I am forever the student... and most of the time, one who does not practice enough!

Good luck with your assignment. I hope that you will decide to hang around here for a while and include slack key guitar as part of your class project.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  06:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the 3 lessons I got: 1) Da t'umb (20 minutes a day for 3 weeks), 2) Da vamp: "Can play any kine long as it fit. Nodda one, nodda one....", 3) chords. Learn to play the instrument, then figuring out tunes will come easier. Look for commonalities between tunes and phrases.
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  09:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a little slow on Da t'umb thing. Kept avoiding it because I hate structured practice. Finally settled down and really worked on it. Once you got, you got it.

The best thing I did for myself is learn chords up and down the neck. I use chord charts, on-line chord generators, or just figure them out with pencil, paper, and a fretboard chart. Eventually you'll learn the fretboard notes that way too. Every song melody is in the chords, or very nearby.

I spend half my time just noodeling around. Again, I hate even the word "practice". Noodeling is the best way to discover the stuff you can use in songs to make them your own. I have a great friend who can blast thru a whole bunch of songs. They are all memorized from tab. After a few, they all sound the same to me. No cool intros, solo fills, or endings. Sounds like MIDI files.

I get a lot of ideas from youtube videos. I don't try to copy people note for note. I look for juicy little passages that I like. That Darn Fran has me running for the guitar every time he puts up a new video.

My mindset eases into nahenahe mode when I play, and I try to make every note fit the mood of the song. One pluck on one string can be played several ways.

Well placed embellishments can really add to a song. Done to an extreme, it can take away from the song. Trying to add harmonics anywhere you have a chance is overkill, unless your playing "Moana Chimes". I recently went to a concert to see a well known player. One one song he drug his fingernails up and down the wound strings so many times that I wanted to yell "Stop that"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000