Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 E Ku'u Sweet Lei Poina Ole
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  2:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know where I can get the tabulator for the above song.
I just love this song and would love to learn to play this. Can be any tuning . I will try and learn it. Get out of my comfort zone.

Mahalo,

Judy

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  07:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Judy, this is a perfect song to learn "by ear." Sing or hum the song a few times to get the melody in your ear, and use the chords here: http://www.hoomaumele.com/song.aspx?sid=7390&sn=[E+KUU+SWEET+LEI+POIN...]&vid=31498 I don't know what they mean by "open D7" just think D.

The melody falls right out in taropatch. Start with the first string open D - "E ku`u" jump up to the 9th fret for the B "sweet" up to the 10th fret C "le" and back to 9 "i" and so on. The C chord notes are in the barre at the 5th fret, then the tricky one, the A chord. Use the D7 shape with a barre at the 7th fret (7 7 7 9 8 7) then hold that barre at 7 for the notes of the D chord.

The second half of the verse is almost a repeat of the first half.

Learning a song by transferring the melody to the guitar by ear is tremendously empowering and this song is an excellent place to start the process.

Of course, learning this melody is the first step. Then you get the fun of making up your variations, maybe just simple chords to back up a vocal, then a harmony line all in chords near the nut.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  2:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Judy, this is a perfect song to learn "by ear." Sing or hum the song a few times to get the melody in your ear, and use the chords here: http://www.hoomaumele.com/song.aspx?sid=7390&sn=[E+KUU+SWEET+LEI+POIN...]&vid=31498 I don't know what they mean by "open D7" just think D.

The melody falls right out in taropatch. Start with the first string open D - "E ku`u" jump up to the 9th fret for the B "sweet" up to the 10th fret C "le" and back to 9 "i" and so on. The C chord notes are in the barre at the 5th fret, then the tricky one, the A chord. Use the D7 shape with a barre at the 7th fret (7 7 7 9 8 7) then hold that barre at 7 for the notes of the D chord.

The second half of the verse is almost a repeat of the first half.

Learning a song by transferring the melody to the guitar by ear is tremendously empowering and this song is an excellent place to start the process.

Of course, learning this melody is the first step. Then you get the fun of making up your variations, maybe just simple chords to back up a vocal, then a harmony line all in chords near the nut.

Fran

Judy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000