Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 World Play Music on the Lanai Day!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2023 :  1:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well you know that's not the right name for it. It's really

#playmusicontheporchday

I just stumbled over the info while visiting a guitar forum so I ran around hooking up gear, setting up on the lanai, and shooting a version of Uncle Leonard Kwan's classic "My Yellow Ginger Lei."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQz8AdULig

There's a ton of fun stuff on YouTube with that hash tag but I didn't see any slack key other than mine, so remember the date for next year and slack the flag!

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2023 :  04:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job, Fran! I figgered it out in G and in C in Gtaropatch. Great mele!!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2023 :  09:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderful as always, Fran. I learned this mele from Keola Beamer's Homespun video, in F wahine tuning, and later polished it up with him at Aloha Music Camp. I have since learned several tunes in both taro patch and F wahine. There have been trips where I was stranded due to weather, and relearning a familiar tune in another tuning was a challenging way to spend the down time. I might do the same here, as that exercise is always a good learning opportunity.

It was too hot for me to play on the lanai that day, but I did play in the comfy living room with the AC running.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  07:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Great job, Fran! I figgered it out in G and in C in Gtaropatch. Great mele!!

That's fun to do, I did a tutorial on it in drop C, but staying in taropatch you can go back and forth between G and C a lot easier.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  07:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

Wonderful as always, Fran. I learned this mele from Keola Beamer's Homespun video, in F wahine tuning, and later polished it up with him at Aloha Music Camp. I have since learned several tunes in both taro patch and F wahine. There have been trips where I was stranded due to weather, and relearning a familiar tune in another tuning was a challenging way to spend the down time. I might do the same here, as that exercise is always a good learning opportunity.

It was too hot for me to play on the lanai that day, but I did play in the comfy living room with the AC running.

Having the melody in one's head is a big help when learning a tune, so going from knowing it one tuning can make it easier and more fun to learn in a different tuning.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jumping between Taro Patch and F wahine is interesting. The parallel thirds and sixths that are characteristic of ki ho'alu are backward (the slope of the fingers). Every once in a while I grab the wrong position. When porting a song over into a different tuning, I pick it out by ear and don't try to tab anything. That has been very useful in my journey. In the beginning with Ozzie's book, it was all from tab and by rote. But part of "growing up" is playing by ear and jumping into alternate positions for chords. And stealing licks from any other players you can.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  12:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl! Like Duke said, "Step # 1, da book. Step#2, no moa book."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: