Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Idaho Island Festival Saturday AUG 03
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2024 :  09:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I will be performing at the inaugural first Idaho Island Festival in a local park (Meridian, ID). There will be plenty of other local groups and hula dancers too throughout the day. After my set with native Hawaiian and kupuna Uncle Archie, I will teach a beginning ukulele workshop and then an intro to slack-key guitar workshop. www.idahoislandfestival.com

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2024 :  08:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You go Earl!

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2024 :  10:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Job Earl.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2024 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. This is a way to reconnect with the local Hawaiian community again. Some passing of kupuna and other disruptions had severed the connections lately, so I'm glad to be plugging back in.

Gonna be HOT that day (triple digits here for the foreseeable future) so I will be using a carbon fiber guitar and my composite Blackbird ukulele. No worries about temp or humidity that way.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2024 :  1:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl! Wear a hat (a cool and kewl one), play in the shade. Hydrate. Build the network!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2024 :  02:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shade won't be an option. The stage is a concrete amphitheater in the park facing due west. But we play at 12:30 so it won't be the full heat of the day yet and the sun will be overhead. There will be tents for the workshops so they will be shaded. I pity the stage acts for the late afternoon and evening -- it will be brutal for them, looking straight into the sun after the stage has been baking for hours.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2024 :  06:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our performance went well, but it was very hot. They has shade over the stage (new) and maybe 2000 people showed up. There was not a single parking spot left in the park. Good thing I got there an hour early for our 12:15 performance.

My workshops -- not so much. The tent for workshops was set up about 120 feet from the side of the stage, and as usual the sound was WAY overblown. People in the audience were wearing ear plugs. There was a Tongan drumming booth near the workshop tent too. No one attending could hear me play and had a tough time even hearing me talk. I did the best I could given the circumstances, but it was unsatisfying. The organizers are now aware that next year -- workshops must be anywhere else far from and preferably behind the stage, and also not near a vendor booth or food truck with their own music blasting.

Despite the frustrations, I will do it again next year. At ~5:30 and 101° in the shade, I had to leave.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2024 :  2:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the workshop but good to hear that the performance went well.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000