Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Looping pedals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2024 :  08:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is mainly directed at Fran, but I welcome any input.
I'm looking at looping pedals for something else to do. I know folks who use them a lot, but I have no experience with them since I seldom play in public. I do have some infrequently recurring gigs and I might like to experiment. I know Fran has a ton of knowledge regarding electronics and recording. I've watched some youtube videos, but before I spend some $ I'd like some advice. I'm somewhat suspicious about using looping with most of the songs that I play since it seems that basic three or four-chord melodies are most suitable. I play a lot of John Keawe and Jeff Peterson arrangements that don't seem to lend themselves to looping melodies. Any thoughts from the community? Thanks.

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2024 :  08:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry, I fooled with loopers many years ago, back in my rock'n'roll days, but things have progressed substantially and I haven't kept track. I do know that loopers are included in many multi-function pedals, that loopers have lots more storage these days, and that using one for performance requires a lot of practice.

I'm pretty sure that you can get loopers that allow you to pre-record parts and select them for playback and/or build songs out of multiple parts. I can't name any specific devices, though.

As far as "looping melodies" I think of loopers as looping chords, that is, the looper provides the backing for your performance of the melody.

Perhaps you can describe in more detail how you think a looper might be useful in your gigs.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2024 :  4:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fran. I'm not sure I can answer fully. I guess I'm looking for something else to do. For example: I spent some time with John Keawe and learned a couple of the tunes from his D-tour album (Slazz and Ready..Beguin). I really like the songs, but John recorded them with at least one overdub, playing a separate rhythm guitar (at least I think he played it). Anyway, since I don't have any sophisticated recording stuff, I was thinking maybe a looping pedal would allow me to get the rhythm track down before playing the more interesting and challenging licks. I also dabble in the blues (acoustic slide) and can see lots of ways to use loops. There's a local guy here (Desi Relator) who plays around town and knows about 100 Hawaiian songs. He has a pretty cool looping setup and has become a real showman. He's not a slacker, playing in standard tuning, but is a very good singer. I'm not looking to replicate him; I just find his performances intriguing Anyway, that's my story.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2024 :  12:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know what sources you've been reading but these two topics popped up at Acoustic Guitar Forum, perhaps of interest:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584595

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689683

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2024 :  10:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fran. As I mentioned, I'm not sure what I want to do.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000