Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Instruction In San Jose
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lat21north
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  10:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Kakou,

Last weekend, I spent a couple of hours with Raymond Stovich, Taropatch 'olu 'olu and professional member of the Hawaiian Academy of Recording Artists. I'd previously not thought much about taking lessons, but Jim Cramer had spoken highly of Raymond, and after stepping out of my musical vacuum, here are a few thoughts that might help other people who are contemplating some SF Bay Area instruction.

In addition to teaching notes and techniques Raymond talks a lot about little elements of playing guitar that do not appear in the books or on the DVDs. He teaches nahe nahe and is nahe nahe; so relaxed, no criticism, very tolerant.

He teaches in taro patch tuning and emphasizes becoming very fluent with open G parallel sixths--I guess I had heard this before, but it hadn't sounded so important. Now, I practice them daily.

Raymond also has a video tape. More details are in the Video section. I am still working on the tape, and will leave a note on that in another week or so.

I would recommend giving him some advance notification if you are considering a lesson. I came home with enough material to work on for next few weeks or months. Overall, good feeling, good instruction. I will do it again.

Bill
Healdsburg

E holo mua
Bill

Edited by - lat21north on 06/29/2004 9:19:43 PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000