Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 He Makana Aloha - Moloka`i
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha

I have just learned that the He Makana Aloha Festival scheduled for Saturday, June 25th in Maunaloa has been cancelled.

To make up for the loss of the festival, we are working on setting up some special activities for those of you who will be staying for the extended camp option.

Friday afternoon from 4:00 - 6:00 the kupuna of Moloka`i all get together for a kanikapila at Hotel Moloka`i. It is a great chance to get to meet some of the wonderful local men and women, play`ukulele and guitar, talk story and share some aloha. I've been there and it is a complete joy. And I can't wait to see the smiles when a bunch of us mainland folks all start playing and singing along!

I'm working on setting up a charter bus, and we can always car-pool; I'll post details when I have them.

Friday night at the Beach Village is always Hawaiian night, and we can come back for one ono dinnner ... and we can put on our own show if we want. Personally, I'm looking forward to just watching the sunset and taking it EZ.

We are also working on something very special for Saturday -- I can't say what just yet, but if it comes togther it will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Keep your fingers crossed.

I have heard from a couple of our campers who were concerned that they'd "be stuck on Moloka`i with nothing to do" if the rumors that the festival had been cancelled proved true. Well, here's a short list of other activities you can participate in:

• Ride a mule to Kalaupapa
  • Take a hike in an upland forest preserve
  • Enjoy the beach
  • Ride mountain bikes along miles of trails on the Moloka`i Ranch
  • Go horseback riding
  • Go fishing
  • Rent a sea kayak and explore the coast
  • Practice all the new stuff you learned
  • Snooze in a shady hammock (my personal fav)

Check with the activities desk at the Lodge when you check-in. We'll have information available at the Beach House during the camp.

Please do not call the Lahaina office with your questions; they are totally out of the loop on this one.

I'll post info here as it becomes available.

Looking forward to seeing lots of old friends and making some new ones in just a few days.

Me ke aloha,

Mark Kailana Nelson

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Mark,

Yeah, but can I fish from a boat?

See ya soon bruddah - can't wait (but I hafta)

Dog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  12:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a Scuba trip planned for that Sat AM - through Tim and Molokai Fish and Dive.
I think I've already hounded all the divers I've been able to find...
Are we gonna miss something spectacular??
Happy bubbles.....

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  08:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for the info Mark. I have been to Hotel Moloka`i during the Friday Kanikapila. It's terrific! Looking forward to that. I can also think of worse things than being on Moloka`i with nothing to do. In fact my family and I are staying an extra week because there is so much "nothing" that we love to do. Can hardly wait!

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  1:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha kaua e Mark,

Once again...wonderful... Sarah and I wish we could be with you and na kupuna. We would rather do that than almost anything I can think of. Maybe make it a regular part of Camp? Remember ke kupuna that Kevin came across. We can all learn from them. See you (and lots of friends in Feb.)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  06:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FYI, If anybody is considering a mule ride to Kalaupapa (I highly recommend it), you should probably contact the outfitter. I think we needed to make reservations. Might be especially true on a weekend.

The Nature Conservancy gives guided tours (including transportation) to their Kamakou (upland forest) Preserve, but that did for sure require reservations. Also, their is an age restriction for keikis--I don't remember what it is, but our kids (at 2 and 4) are too young.

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  1:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha -

No word yet on our top-secret-special plans for Saturday the 24th. I hope to have an answer before camp, but it may be that we'll just have to wait and see what develops once we all get to Moloka`i.

So don't change your mule snorkling adventures...

Yes, Dave, you can fish from a boat. You've got a boat, right?

cheers,

mark
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  2:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff

Are you going to be on molokai in the month of july? (july 9th.)
Thats when there having the molokai slack key festival.

Maui's concert will be on the 26 of june, just wondering if you were going to be on molokai by the 9 of july. ( wanted to pass this on to you.)

See everyone next week......Aloha, Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  3:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WooHoo!!! Kevin - instead of 7 months, it's down to 7 days. Can you believe that??!!!!! Still crazy, still bouncing off walls, still can't wait!!!!!
Aloha Mark!! What are you up to?? Did you bring back a couple whales so we could have a whale-watching trip? Maybe go see blue lobsters? This is Just Too exciting!!!!! Ride How FAR on a mule?? ever been to the Phantom Ranch and back up on mules at the Grand Canyon?
I heard the air temp is nice. How's the water temp today? Here in SoCal, it was cold..... brrrhh... no swim... thinking no bother, can do next week!! nice warm water....
And I've been listening to your CDs and even without a dulcimer, I hope you'll play us to sleeep at night... after the bread run, cocoa kanikapila.... you know.....
Lotsa hugs!!!
Get ready for auntie nancy - lots more hugs!!

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  6:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Kevin

unfortunately, we are heading back to California before July 9th. We will be leaving on July 3rd. Thanks for the info, none-the-less.

Where is the festival going to be held? Wish we were still gonna be there.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Aloha,

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  10:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slack key festival will be held right in kaunakakai.( mitchell pauole center.) same place as last year. Have a great time on the friendly island.

Aloha, Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  11:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there last year and it was marvelous. The crowd was not too large, so the music was really accessible. All in all, my favorite of all the Island Slack Key Festivals I've gone to over the years. Just wish it were coinciding with camp beginning or end.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  02:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this same festival or similar to the one on Lana'i July 3rd and 4th?
mahalo!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  09:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
July 3-4 event on Lana`i is two "Celtic Aloha" concerts -- George Kahumoku, Daniel Ho, and 2 visiting musicians from Ireland.

Slack Key Festival on Moloka`i is the large event which tours the islands annually...five hours of slack key. The full lineup is yet TBA, but here's what's posted on the festival site thus far -- Paul Togioka, Led Kaapana, Mike Kaawa, Jeff Peterson, and David Kahiapo. Watch the site for updates:
http://www.hawaiianslackkeyguitarfestivals.com/Molokai%20concert.htm

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000