Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Moses Kahumoku
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  11:50:12 PM  Show Profile

Okay, first off, I'm a white boy living in Kalifornia. I've this burning question......what happened to Moses?
When I first started playing the style some years ago, I had heard him play. Soon after his 'dancing cat' version came out....all cleaned up, but Damn....theres some serious playing on a nylon string.....He vanished, I've asked folks in the know and they laugh and say things like, " oh, he has some problems"....and the labels own quotes like .......'he's had a difficult life'......
Whassup ? Everyone has to have a guitar idol, and He is mine.
A friend just back from the Islands said he had passed away. Another friend said he was serving life in prison.....
Seriously, what happened to this man? Does he record, is he still on this plane? Does anyone know?

just wanna play Ua like he does.....

Commander

piffle

Bron
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  12:12:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michael, Moses is incarcerated on Maui. Such an unfortunate thing!

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  12:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I asked his brother George Jr. the same question, because Moses is one of my heroes too. He told me last spring that Moses was in a federal penitentiary in the southwest mainland, doing 10 years or so for offenses related to methamphetamines. I was heartbroken to hear it, the guy just explodes with music.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  2:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Someone posted a link to an interview with George Kahumoku on an NPR type station. That's what George said, that Moses was in a federal pen.

That's so very sad.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All,
It is true that Moses is in a federal pen in Arizona. technically the charge was based upon using stolen Visa numbers for advances. Unfortunately, the money was not going to the widows and orphans fund. The good side of things is that Moses was really shaken by the whole thing and seems to have done some serious soul searching and "reform."

HOWEVER, you can still get in contact with Moses. (He's not playing much, but occasionally writes a piece of slack key.) You have to have your name on a registry at the prison which requires them listing your social security number in their files. You also have to include that number with your return address on the envelope you send. To get your name on the registry, you should send George an email, including your name, address, phone and SSN.

I agree with previous postings as to the quality of Moses playing. George feels that if Moses would have kept up, he would probably be the best slack key player, if not all around guitarist, to date. Based on the recordings, I fully agree. And fully self-taught. I think one of the things that makes Moses stand out is how he incorportated ideas and techniques from claqssical and Spanish-styles, including flamenco.

If you aren't aware of it, George is reissuing some of the old tapes on CD's and including a few new cuts (from old archives) on the CD's. His web site should have them up (but I haven't checked it out in a LONG time.)

Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  11:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Moses is indeed one helluva guitar player. Moses is not dead! Bad news is that Moses is in an Arizona jail. Good news is that he will be out in about 4-5 years.

I know many people will be looking forward to hearing him play again. He's a very talented guy. Not only a "ripping" guitar player but a good artist too.

Aloha,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  04:50:12 AM  Show Profile
George has re-released the CD he and Moses did in 1988:
SWEET & SASSY
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2167.htm

-- auntie maria

Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  9:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Such a special cd this .. two remarkable brothers together.

Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakahiaka
I am new to this system and have mistakenly sent Raymonds reply as a quote from me. My apologies to everyone. I wrote Moses a letter nearly 3 years ago to the prison in Aeia, O'ahu. He replied but three other letters have gone unanswered. Although I want to write again, I caution everyone about releasing their SSN. There must be a better way to reach him and let him know that the world dearly loves his music. I certainly do; I play his CDs every day and struggle trying to learn Pohakuloa.
Mahalo nui loa
A hui hou
Jeff Watkins

quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Aloha All,
It is true that Moses is in a federal pen in Arizona. technically the charge was based upon using stolen Visa numbers for advances. Unfortunately, the money was not going to the widows and orphans fund. The good side of things is that Moses was really shaken by the whole thing and seems to have done some serious soul searching and "reform."

HOWEVER, you can still get in contact with Moses. (He's not playing much, but occasionally writes a piece of slack key.) You have to have your name on a registry at the prison which requires them listing your social security number in their files. You also have to include that number with your return address on the envelope you send. To get your name on the registry, you should send George an email, including your name, address, phone and SSN.

I agree with previous postings as to the quality of Moses playing. George feels that if Moses would have kept up, he would probably be the best slack key player, if not all around guitarist, to date. Based on the recordings, I fully agree. And fully self-taught. I think one of the things that makes Moses stand out is how he incorportated ideas and techniques from claqssical and Spanish-styles, including flamenco.

If you aren't aware of it, George is reissuing some of the old tapes on CD's and including a few new cuts (from old archives) on the CD's. His web site should have them up (but I haven't checked it out in a LONG time.)

Raymond
San Jose

Jeff Watkins

Edited by - Jeff Watkins on 11/20/2002 09:07:33 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000