Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Ho, Kahumoku, Ohta uke & slack workshops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  08:05:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See "Performance" forum, for news of January 2006 California uke & slack key workshops by Daniel Ho, Keoki Kahumoku & Herb Ohta, Jr

--auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  09:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended both the ukulele and ki ho'alu workshops last night. It was amazing to hear a room full of ukulele players playing and NOT STRUMMING!. Herb taught several picking patterns from his handouts and Daniel Ho added some insights on improvisation by knowing the key of the song and the key scales up and down the fretboard. They both went over various factors that affect tone production, and talked about their instruments, both KoAloha ukeleles; Herb had his signature Tenor and Daniel his signature six-string ki ho'alu D-VI. The talked story and played a few duets. All-in-all an excellent workshop.

Then Keoki took over for his entry level slack key workshop. He went over alternating bass patterns, and then quickly summarized how to use some very detailed handouts prepared by his Dad, his Uncle Moses, and him on Taro Patch chord forms, partial chords with parallel 1s, sixths, and thirds on almost all pairs of strings. Then he taught how to play one of his Dad's songs, "Ho'okupu" and we all played and sang along. I thought I heard a really sweet guitar playing behind me only to find Daniel Ho taking the class and playing an off-of-the-wall of Buffalo Brothers, Collings guitar. There were other several very sweet sounds coming from the other students -- some of our SCSKS slackers.

Bottom line: If you get a chance when they are in your area - TAKE THE WORKSHOPS. Getting to meet these fine musicians on a personal level is worth the price of admission.
Mahalo Nui Loa

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000