Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Kiho'alu lessons on Maui
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilioiki
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  5:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha all,

I've been thinking about taking lessons to help me learn Kiho'alu. I'm not musically trained and what I do know is mostly through listening and trying dis 'n dat. I do have some DVD's which is helping alot, but would like to have some time with a real person.

I've been going through the various posts here and noticed a post by Don Kaulia back in '02. Does anyone know if he's still offering lessons? Are there others here on Maui that I should consider contacting?

Any kine info would be really appreciated.

Mahalo!

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  02:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, talk to Kevin Brown in Waiehu. If he hasn't the time, he will know who does. Also, hang out at the kanikapila at Waihe`e Church on Saturdays. You will learn bunches there from everyone. Ask Kevin about it.

Oh yeah, you can reach via email him right here: Ohanabrown

BTW, Don has been on the Big Island for a few years now, so it would be a long commute for you :-) Also, I don't think Don ever had students, anyway.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 08/16/2006 06:34:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

ilioiki
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  07:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shootz! Mahalo for the info.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  08:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call up Uncle George Kahumoku too!!! 249-2125 He lives out on Kaukini Loop, but he's almost always at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua on Wednesday nights hosting a slack key show. Both he and Kevin are excellent teachers, with quite a different style so that you could learn from each one. You can send an e-mail to Kevin at Ohanabrown @ AOL.com. You will also find him on this website.
Enjoy!!!
Go to Top of Page

ilioiki
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  12:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tanks Pua Kai - I emailed Uncle Kevin and will probably talk story with Uncle George tonight when I go check out Uncle Cyril at the Ritz. Mahalo for the suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  09:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howzit,
For Maui, best you see Kevin Brown for lesson.
I finally decided to give lessons public. I've been hired to do lessons privately and now I decided to go public with Collier at the Music Exchange in Kona, brand new music store at the Kamehameha Shopping Center in front of the King Kamehameha Hotel in Kona (on Kuakini Highway across of Kona Brewing Co.). My lessons is purely simple. Bring the guitar and watch and copy what I do then memorize. Doing it is better then writing it out. That way you'll create your own style.
Don Kaulia

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

ilioiki
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  1:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Uncle,

I did email Uncle Brown, but I guess he's been really busy - haven't heard back from him.

Das ok doe, been watching and playing along with Uncle George and braddah Kahumoku DVD's....old school....watch, try dis, try dat. Pop in a CD...listen...try dis...try dat. Plus, Wed nights at the Ritz for inspiration.

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  10:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can see from other posts that Kevin and 'Ikaika will be mainland side for tour starting holiday weekend. But Kevin has cute grandkid who calls him "Sweetie" so he'll be back home soon after would be my guess.
Go to Top of Page

ilioiki
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  08:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I got an email from Uncle the other day. He tried emailing earlier, but maybe had the wrong email address. I have his number....just gotta call and hopefully we can get together after he returns from his mainland trip.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000