Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Kahumoku 'Ohana Dec. Camp (Updated!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  4:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Update Oct. 30th, Read Auntie Maria's post below for EXCITING NEWS! If you have not signed up, do so soon!

November 30th through December 8th are when things will be happening in Pahala!

Instructors:
Keoki Kahumoku will teach slack key guitar
Herb Ohta, Jr. will teach 'ukulele and music theory
Sonny Lim will teach slack key and Hawaiian steel guitar
George Kahumoku, Jr. will teach slack key guitar, do storytelling and lead song sessions
Dennis Kamakahi will teach slack key guitar, do storytelling and lead song sessions
David Kamakahi will teach 'ukulele and lead song sessions
Jeff Peterson will teach slack key guitar, songwriting and music theory
John Keawe will teach songwriting and slack key guitar
Brittni Paiva will teach 'ukulele and lead song sessions.
Diana Aki will lead song sessions on songs of the Big Island
Leilehua Yuen will teach hula and lei making
Konabob Stoffer will teach Hawaiian steel guitar and slack key bass
Darcy Baker will teach Hawaiian language and singing
Liko Puha will teach chanting and Hawaiian language
We have just added the registration form to the website... It is going to be an amazing week!

http://www.konaweb.com/keoki

If you know of a music store or some place where other lovers of Hawaiian music lovers gather, print out one of these posters, and help Keoki get the word out!
http://www.konaweb.com/keoki/flyer.pdf[

Those of you on the mainland might enjoy a look at this Google Map: http://tinyurl.com/yt5wfw which shows the proximity of Pahala to Volcanos National Park, and the remoteness of the town of Pahala itself.

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 10/30/2007 3:36:19 PM

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  12:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Two additional teachers to Keoki's Camp will be Dennis Kamakahi 12/2 - 12/8 and David Kamakahi from 12/6/ - 12/8.

Dennis will be teaching songwriting and traditional Hawaiian songs and their history and their meanings.

David will be teaching beginning, intermediate, and advanced ukulele.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  2:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Konabob: That's not really so far from either Hilo or Kona. It's the mainland that's far away. By the time I fly 10 hours from Cleveland to Honolulu, and transfer to Big Island, the drive around the coast doesn't look so bad anymore. By the time I get to Pahala, I'd be ready to stay put for 2 weeks, and never look at a car/airplane/bus the whole time.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  6:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waaaahhhhh!

I'm not that far away except in dollars. This is one workshop I wish I did not have to miss.

Keoki, I'm so glad you are doing this, but I'm jealous!

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  4:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Julie!!! It won't be the same without you... but I guess we'll get over it. Wish you were going to be there, Girlfriend!!!
See you soon, hopefully
Aloha!!!
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
Akahai

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  9:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elaine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm all signed up for camp, but I'm wondering if there will be time during camp to go visit the volcano....or should I add a few days to my trip? Also, once I'm there, will I need a vehicle?
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  03:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno anything about the camp, but you have got to experience the volcano. There is such mana. I cannot put into words the feelings I had, lookiing at what first glance would seem to be desolation. But it is not desolation and destruction. You are witnessing creation! As far as your eye can see, there is lava, pahoehoe and a`a. You see the colors of sulfur laying upon the cooled lava. And then you see a crack in the lava and a tiny fern starting to grow, starting the life cycle. When you gaze upon Halema`uma`u you KNOW Pele still resides there.

Please do whatever you can to get to the volcano.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  05:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Elaine -
been hearing rumors - may run some shuttle from Hilo and Kona to Pahala - let them know when you're coming in and out - therefor save money on car. Will have some excursions from camp - - I want to see the lava flow too. Maybe get ahold of Keoki or KonaBob and see what current thinking is. This is way far ahead for Hawaii-style planning, of course.
n
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  1:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be aware that right now there is no flow to the ocean, and there is no flowing lava that is accessible for viewing. The only flows are completely off limits.

Of course, even without actively flowing lava, there is a great deal to see in Volcanos Nat'l Park.

And, who knows...by the time camp starts, Pele may be visiting the ocean again.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  1:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my life long dreams is to see live lava, so I track this site, especially when planning a trip to the BI.

http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/hvostatus.php

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  05:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha!
This is a request for all kumus: Please have CDs, both new releases and others, so we may do our Christmas shopping in Pahala!
Mahalo nui,
nancy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  10:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's emailed update from Susie Kagami has added two more instructors -- Led Kaapana and <wow!> Moses Kahumoku! Here's the full update:

This December, enjoy eight wonderful days immersed in the culture of Hawaii. Join Keoki Kahumoku, his friends and his family as they share the love, music, language, food and cultural practices of the islands.

The perfect setting for both beginners and more advanced players, enjoy private lessons, seminars, song sessions and kani ka pilla every night, hear the stories and learn the tunings and techniques from some of the biggest names in traditional Hawaiian music.

Keoki Kahumoku - Slack Key Guitar, your host and chef for the week
George Kahumoku Jr. - Slack Key Guitar
Moses Kahumoku - Slack Key Guitar
Ledward Kaapaana - Slack Key Guitar
Dennis Kamakahi - Slack Key Guitar & Songwriting
Herb Ohta Jr - Ukulele
Jeff Peterson - Slack Key, Songwriting & music theory
John Keawe - Songwriting & Slack Key Guitar
Sonny Lim - Slack Key Guitar and Hawaiian Steel
David Kamakahi - Ukulele
Brittni Paiva - Ukulele
Kona Bob Stoffer- Hawaiian Steel & Walking Stick Bass
Diane Aki - Song Sessions on Big Island Songs
Leilehua Yuen - Hula & Lei Making
Darcy Baker - Hawaiian Language & Chorus
Liko Puha - Chant & Hawaiian Language

Your contribution of $950 includes all meals prepared by Keoki, participation in all lifestyle and music classes, day trips, food demos, and nightly kani ka pilla sessions. A companion rate of $450 is available and includes everything but the instrumental, music theory, songwriting and song session portion of the weeks events. Proceeds from this annual workshop go towards keeping these traditions alive for the children of this area. More info about this is on our website.

We only have 9 spaces left, so reserve your spot today! Call us at 415-452-8720. We hope to you can join us!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000