Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Defining Slack key
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  06:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Defining Slack Key? I find this thread has a lot of comments, some bad, some good but overall this thread shows a lot of love for this art of Slack Key. Some of us are fans, and some of us are students and then some of us are born with the gift. I was fortunate to have descendants that were part of the Kalakaua dynasty that evolved the hula and music. My great grandpa and uncles served with Queen Liliuokalani...Great Uncle James Kauli'a served in the Queen's Cabinet, Great Grandpa Puni Kauli'a was a close associate to Joseph Kekuku and Grandpa John Kauli'a co-wrote E Lili'u E. This art form of music has deep roots in my family and certain family members of this present day continue this art form. Since the Grammy exposure, Slack Key has become a number one request replacing 'Tiny Bubbles'. I know this because I perform on a regular basis here in Kona and it is the same request everyday...'can you play some slack key?'.

So, this thread of Defining Slack Key...well, from what I read...Slack Key is surely 'alive and well'. If only Gabby, Fred Punahoa, Sonny Chillingsworth, Atta Isaacs, Leonard Kwan and the legends before them could only see what Slack Key music has become.

I love you all...keep the Art of Slack Key alive!

Bradduh Donald Kaulia

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  06:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donkaulia
I know this because I perform on a regular basis here in Kona and it is the same request everyday...'can you play some slack key?'.

Bradduh Donald Kaulia

E aloha Bradduh Donald,

Aunty Lele keia - Your comment reminds me of the time I was playing at a local coffee shop in Hilo. I did Ho`i Mai Ku`u Sweetie, Saddle Road, Tutu Man's Guitar, and a few standards in open G with a little bit of thumb work on the bass strings.

During my coffee break, a fellow came up to me and said, "That was really nice. But in your next set, could you play some slack key? I LOVE HAWAIIAN music."

Lessons in humility, no? LOL!

A hui hou!
Leilehua (Aunty Lele)
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  06:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thumbstruck: That's a really good empirical test--sort of like having an Italian tell you that your accent is good or that your pasta tastes right. (On the other hand, years ago in Denmark we shared a train compartment with a Danish couple, conversing in English, and when we told them we were Americans, the woman, clearly surprised, said, "But your English is so good!" Go figure.)

Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell Letson

Thumbstruck: That's a really good empirical test--sort of like having an Italian tell you that your accent is good or that your pasta tastes right. (On the other hand, years ago in Denmark we shared a train compartment with a Danish couple, conversing in English, and when we told them we were Americans, the woman, clearly surprised, said, "But your English is so good!" Go figure.)

Having worked in national parks where I spoke with many people from around the world and across the USA, I know exactly where she was coming from!

These are from adults:

When offered poi: "I ain e'in none a the' li-berry pace!"

Asking about hula: "So, win they does them dances, does they have to learn em, or does they jus dance?"

A guide who came with a group from the Mainland was explaining to his tour how the ancient Hawaiians had to "prostate" themselves before the high chief "irregardless" of what they were doing, how the lava flows caused "mass exodus" of Hawaiians, and the coming of White people brought great "discourse and ek-setra" to the Hawaiian people.

Shades of Archie Bunker! Sometimes I wonder just what people DO in school!

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Edited by - Hula Rider on 09/05/2007 08:26:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  09:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Shades of Archie Bunker! Sometimes I wonder just what people DO in school!

My wife is a seventh grade English Teacher. She says they all talk so much they don't listen and learn. . . a good lesson for me -- I need to listen more carefully and learn.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  9:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most of us could do that, myself epecially! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  10:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this old Hawaiian proverb that I recently learned via Kalae Miles (who set it to beautiful music for school children):

Nânâ nâ maka (Look with your eyes)
Ho`olohe ka pepiao (Listen with your ears)
Pa`a ka waha (Quiet with your mouth)

The proverb/song is featured on this video (also posted separately within this topic):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v3BqCzaWgs

Now I can't get it out of my head . . . and I'm trying hard to take it to heart!

Don/Cookie
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  11:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess its slack key when this haole gets off the stage and old ukulele playing uncle kanaka says, "You play good bra'. Can you play Maui Chimes so I can jam with you?"

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  08:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dr. cookie

I love this old Hawaiian proverb that I recently learned via Kalae Miles (who set it to beautiful music for school children):

Nânâ nâ maka (Look with your eyes)
Ho`olohe ka pepiao (Listen with your ears)
Pa`a ka waha (Quiet with your mouth)

The proverb/song is featured on this video (also posted separately within this topic):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v3BqCzaWgs

Now I can't get it out of my head . . . and I'm trying hard to take it to heart!

Don/Cookie

That reminds me of my grandfather's saying -
"Elua na maka, elua na pepeiau, ekahi ka waha"
Two are the eyes, two are the ears, one is the mouth - Listen and learn four times as much as you talk!
I need to listen more to my grandfather! :-)
Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  01:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do. To those of us who have devoted much of our lives to the transmission of the culture, the ability to define aspects of that culture, and its expressions, both tangible and intangible, matters a great deal.

I couldn't agree more Hula Rider. I don't think it matters where you learn, but it damn sure matters who you learn from. I'd rather learn one song from Ozzie Kotani or Peter Medeiros etc. than a dozen from Charlie who lives down the road "never had a lesson but he's quite good at that Hawaiian stuff"

quote:
I have a friend who plays Hawaiian songs and uses an open-G tuning. He considers himself to be playing "slack key." But it does not sound like slack key. It sounds like a rock and roll musician playing a Hawaiian song in open-G.

You see, therein lies my problem. I don't know any Hawaiians, I've never met a Hawaiian, I don't even Know anyone who's been to Hawaii, and, given my financial circumstances, the chances of my ever going to Hawaii hover somewhere between remote and none so I can listen to all the CD's watch all the DVD's and work through all the books but without one-to-one or masterclasses, no matter how much I love them, I'm always going to sound like a Scottish folkie trying to play Hawaiian songs.

bigeedjit

Edited by - pifarrell on 06/01/2008 05:29:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  06:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pifarrell

I'm always going to sound like a Scottish folkie trying to play Hawaiian songs.
But do ya sound good - do people like what you play? Don't make any false claims about it being Hawaiian (you could say it's "inspired by" what you've heard in Hawaiian/slack key music), and keep playing. It's all music, it's all good, it's your own soul. Just as with anything else in life - don't pretend it's something other than what it is.
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  07:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIGHT ON, RETRO! After SUPA, I learnt my lesson: shut up, play, and sing for there may nevah be "Bumbye! Lay'dahs, Brah!" Let the breath that comes from your heart, aka deepest 'bottom' of your lungs (which happens to be in the area of your 'heart'), speak. BREATHE IT! In other words, have "breath", or "Ha" to what you say; don't say/do "without breath" or " ha a'ole". Or, as often mis pronounced, "haole" for "ha a'ole".

Though I am 50% Hawaiian, I am the "haole" in Washington BUT I don't have to be "ha a'ole".

Imua,
Herb
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  08:03:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baritone

shut up ... and sing
You gotta teach me that art, my braddah.
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  09:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only people who've heard me play so far have been family and they say it sounds good but then they have to if they want to continue living here....

Anyway, I'll find out for sure on Saturday. Every three or four months a friend and I organize a folk night in our local town hall with the takings going to our church's youth group. Because we get local musicians to play, we get at least a couple of hundred people there.

I do a half-hour spot and this Saturday I'm going to play three slack key songs so I'll see what happens

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  1:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pifarrell

I do a half-hour spot and this Saturday I'm going to play three slack key songs so I'll see what happens
You haven't even performed 'em yet - and I'm already applauding you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000