Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Kahilu Theatre Uke & Slack Key Institute
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still no official word on this year's workshops. Their site states:
Classes/Workshops and a full 2007 `Ukulele and Slack Key Guitar Institute schedule will be available September 1, 2007.

Ummm...my calendar sez today is Sept 11...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  08:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now it's 9/15 and still no schedule. Anyone know what's happening? Last year I ended up at Moku O Keawe at the Waikoloa because couldn't figure out what was happening at the Institute.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Peterson
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  07:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jeff Peterson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha everyone,

The Kahilu 'Ukulele and Slack Key Guitar Institute will run from November 8th through the 10th. Teachers and performers will include Cyril Pahinui, Dennis and David Kamakahi, Jeff Peterson, Amy Hanaiali'i, Benny Chong, Steve Jones on Bass and doing a recording workshop, Sonny Lim, Bobby Ingano, and Chino Montero.

Here is the info:

Thursday November 8th:

Kanikapila 7 p.m. – 8:15 p.m. or so
A fun, informal kanikapila in which members of the community are welcome to come on stage and join the featured artists in a community play & sing. The featured artists are miked & the community musicians sit behind them, but the emphasis is on having fun and playing songs the community players do know or should know!
Featured artists for this are TBA but everyone is welcome!

FRIDAY Nov. 9

10 am

Introduction to ‘Ukulele (David Kamakahi)
For the student with little or no experience, this introductory class explains tuning, basic chords, strumming and some easy picking techniques.

Introduction to Slack Key (Dennis Kamakahi)
For the student with little or no experience, this introductory class explains slack key tuning, basic style features and some easy ways to play songs.

Slack Key II (Jeff Peterson)
For the player who already has some knowledge of slack key, this session will cover tunings, performing techniques and expanding repertoire. Jeff will also share tips on performing solo and as an accompanist. Handouts will be provided.

The Art of Recording (Steve Jones)
A useful session for players and non-players alike, this workshop covers some of the most important ins and outs of recording, from amateur to professional. With years of experience working as recording engineer and producer, Steve has loads of practical information to share. He’ll also take your questions about any recording issues you may have.

Private Lessons: TBA

FRIDAY Noon

‘Ukulele Hawaiian Style (David Kamakhi)
In this popular workshop David illustrates some of the main ways the ‘ukulele is used in local music. Emphasis is on popular strumming and picking patterns, tips for good ensemble playing and some easy soloing.

The Art of Improvisation (Jeff Peterson & Benny Chong)
Open to everyone, this workshop shows you some of the most important things that it takes to play more creatively. Topics include such things as soloing, adding variety to your chords and making your rhythm more exciting. There’s also sure to be a great jam session with these two great players!

Slack Key Master Class (Cyril Pahinui)
In a master class, students play for a master artist and get direct input on their technique as well as a chance to ask any questions they may have. This rare chance to work with the legendary slack key master Cyril Pahinui is priceless.

The Art of Playing & Singing (Sonny Lim)
Whether accompanying his own beautiful voice, backing up other singers or playing with hula dancers, Sonny has done it all. In this wide-ranging workshop for musicians of all kinds, he will share practical tips on how to make your instrument support the voice better.

FRIDAY CONCERT: 8 p.m.
(approx. 2 - 2 1/2 hours total time, counting intermission)

Cyril Pahinui
INTERMISSION
Dennis & David Kamakahi
Waimea All Star Band Jam
(Dennis, David, Jeff, Sonny, Steve & Bobby) (Chino if he wants)

SATURDAY Nov. 10
10 am

Beginning ‘Ukulele (David Kamakahi)
For the student with little or no experience. Topics include tuning, strums, finger positions and easy chord progressions.

Intermediate ‘Ukulele (Benny Chong)
In this session for the student who can already play a little, Benny will explain how to expand your knowledge of chords. With this information you can start playing the whole neck, improve your soloing and more.

Beginning Slack Key (Sonny Lim)
For the student with little or no experience, this introductory class explains slack key tuning, basic picking techniques and some easy songs.

Slack Key Pahinui Style (Cyril Pahinui)
This session open to everyone explains and illustrates the slack key style of Cyril’s father, the legendary Gabby Pahinui. It also explores ways that Cyril has preserved and expanded upon it in his own music.

The Art of Recording (Steve Jones)
A useful session for players and non-players alike, this workshop covers some of the most important ins and outs of recording, from amateur to professional. With years of experience as an audio engineer and producer, Steve has loads of practical information to share. He’ll also take your questions about any recording issues you may have.

SATURDAY Noon

Intermediate ‘Ukulele (David Kamakahi)
For players with some experience playing, this session covers ways to vary your strumming, expand on your knowledge of chords and begin to improvise.

‘Ukulele Master Class (Benny Chong)
In a master class, students play for a master artist and get direct input on their technique as well as a chance to ask any questions they may have. This rare chance to work with one of Hawaii’s finest ‘ukulele virtuosos and arrangers is priceless.

Slack Key II (Jeff Peterson)
For players with some knowledge of the style, Jeff shares practical tips for getting up to the next level of playing. Topics covered include tunings, repertoire, harmony, simple improvisation and arranging. Hand outs will be provided.

Slack Key Master Class (Dennis Kamakahi)
In a master class, students play for a master artist and get direct input on their technique as well as a chance to ask any questions they may have. This rare chance to work with one of Hawaii’s finest slack key guitarists and songwriters is priceless.

The Hawaiian Voice (Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom & Chino Montero)
This class with Amy and Chino covers important issues involved in singing Hawaiian style and in the business of local music. It also includes some kanikapila at the end, so bring your instrument!

SATURDAY 2 P.M. – 3 P.M.

Slack Key Symposium
Dennis Kamakahi, Sonny Lim, Cyril Pahinui & Jeff Peterson
(moderator: J.W. Junker)

Featuring four leading players on the contemporary scene, this free public symposium covers the main features of slack key and provides insights into this traditional art form as shared by the artists themselves. This program is supported in part by the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts through appropriations from the Legislature of the State of Hawai`i and by the National Endowment for the Arts.

SATURDAY CONCERT: 8 p.m.
(approx. 2 - 2 1/2 hours total time, counting intermission)

Jeff Peterson
Benny Chong with Jeff Peterson & Steve Jones
INTERMISSION
Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom & Band

It should be a lot of fun.

Mahalo nui loa,

Jeff Peterson
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  07:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, the .pdf for registration is now visible at http://www.kahilutheatre.org/ukulele.htm

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  11:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if anyone will read this post, but I wanted to report that the concerts and workshops were great. Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom and Chino Montero gave a wonderful ha'i singing workshop (falsetto). They were both so generous to all of us students, making sure everyone had a chance to find that click / voice change between chest and head voice. Also did Benny Chong's workshop, which I loved. Great weekend.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  04:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Lynn for your report. I wondered how it went I would have loved to have been able to be there but have to work sometime. (boo Hiss) I have a friend that was able to attend so when she gets home state side in a week I will get full report and get to share in her knowledge.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  4:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had the good fortune to already be on the big island for a short vacation and had tickets for the Friday night concert. It was great! Cyril was followed by Dennis and David before intermission, then all but Cyril assembled on-stage for Kanakapila.

I learned of the workshops at the concert and was able to attend the Saturday Slack Key II session led by Jeff. It was excellent, with only one other participant. Almost like a private lesson.

I believe other sessions were similarly lightly attended. Consider putting this on your calendar for next year. It is really a great event.

Thanks to Jeff for an excellent workshop.

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  08:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's encourage J. Junker and the crew who put on this wonderful institute to get the word out SOONER next year. Kudo's also go to whoever made sure "Hawaii Aloha" was sung at the end of the Friday night concert. That was a first at the Kahilu Theater for me. It was sad to see how few people in the audience knew the words or were willing to grab the hand of a stranger. The fellow next to me looked at me like I was crazy when I reached for his hand and I felt like I was singing a solo. Admin, perhaps something taropatch.net could do is post the words and tune and encourage everyone to learn them .. I'll post this suggestion on another thread as well.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  11:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy must have already done just that quite some time back, Lynn.

Please see: http://www.taropatch.net/download/kgs/Hawaii_Aloha_KGS.pdf

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  11:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Andy must have already done just that quite some time back, Lynn.

Please see: http://www.taropatch.net/download/kgs/Hawaii_Aloha_KGS.pdf

Hmmm...

This looks like the work of Mika`ele.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  06:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hope these workshops are available this year during the same dates.
I am booking our lodging and flights for the Big Island 11/5/08 - 11/12/08
We are going to Oahu first for our twin niece's birthdays and to listen to some
Ki Ho'alu Oahu style.
We may try to stop by Napili on Maui to check out who's playing at Napili Kai
Mahalo,
Les
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  12:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup -- guilty as charged. Assembled as a guide to encourage kanikapila instead of rote tablature.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000