Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Searching for Keola's....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mahimahi
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  10:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK this ain't too hard I hope, but I just can't seem to able to perform Keola Beamer's Po Mahina from Wooden Boat exactly the way I desire...are the tabs or notes listed anywhere?...mahalo...James

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  12:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's our comprehensive list of available tabs and learning videos/audio:

http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tarosongs.htm

If it's not on this list (Po Mahina isn't) then it's not available in an official version (as tab, that is).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/23/2007 6:35:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  03:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of King's (many) books has it in standard notation and chord charts: King's Book of Hawaiian Melodies (with piano CD, now). I wrote the melody out as letter notes and made a kind of arrangement, which was straightforward, since it is in G. But, I didn't like the melody as written; I really wanted to get close to Kevin's version (Four Generations CD). I sort of succeeded, but got distracted and put it aside somewhere.

So, if you get the King book, you can do the same, and, at least, understand which notes and chords you have to jigger to get close to the sounds you hear in your mind.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  06:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you probably already figured this out - keola does his version of po mahina (a great song!) in keola's C tuning: CGDGBE. and, i think that he has two guitars in that recording. i love his version because it's so joyful, which fits the lyrics commonly sung. i like to watch keola play it too - he does this kind of silly whiplash move when he starts the song, and has a smirk on his face.

kevin's version is, well, a kevin version - gorgeous. i could spend a lifetime trying to figure out how keven gets so much feeling and music out of a simple arrangement (kevin can do complex as well, of course). kevin is so old school. and, of course, sending it out to his grandmother (the one who used to make him sit in her front yard wearing one of her dresses when he had been bad) makes it even sweeter. he does it in drop C: CGDGBD.

cyril pahinui does a real jangly version of the song that i love listening to, but i have a hard time seeing how it fits the lyrics. i think it's in C mauna loa, which i don't know.

keoki kahumoku does it really well on his first CD (hawaiian from the heart). it's a duet with a woman, which is a nice touch.

i've been working on a version in F wahine, but it's not going anywhere. i'm still in the noodling phase. i spend a lot of time in the noodling phase.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000