Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Moloka`i Ho`olaule`a - June 29, 2008
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  08:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha All -

I have heard from both the Mohala Hou Foundation and from the County of Maui that we are on track to host our first post-Aloha Camp Moloka`i Ho`olaule`a (Festival). This is a free one day event in Kaunakakai, with workshops by Aloha Camp instructors, and a Ho`ike with our staff, students, and local performers.

The goal is to show to the community and visitors that Hawaiian culture is something that people will visit Hawaii to experience, and to "give back" to the people of Moloka`i for letting us host the camp on their beautiful island.

Details will follow, but I wanted to let you know in case you are either coming to camp already, or thinking about it, so you can make travel plans to participate.

We will need volunteers to perform, help with the workshops, stage manage, etc etc.

Tentative Schedule:

Aloha Camp Moloka`i Ho`olaule`a
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Mitchell Pauole Field, Kaunakakai

1:00 – 4:00 PM

Free Workshops & keiki activities
A series of one-hour workshops to offer residents and visitors a chance to learn more about Hawaiian music and culture.
Beginning Slack Key Guitar
Intermediate/Advanced Slack Key Guitar
Hawaiian Language
‘Ukulele
Keiki Story Telling & Ki’i Puppetry

4:30 – 6:30 PM

Concert
A two-hour, free concert featuring kumu and students from the Aloha Music Camp, as well as short concert sets by the Beamer Family and Friends, Moloka`i performers and selected master class students from the Aloha Music Camp. The Concert will show how the Aloha Camp teaches Hawaiian culture and values and demonstrate the level of commitment on the part of the students.

As with most public activities, local groups will be invited to set up concessions as a means of fundraising.

This is something we have wanted to do for years, and the Beamer `ohana, Annie & I are all very happy that it will finally be a reality.

Mahalo for your support.

Mark Kailana Nelson
Aloha Music Camp

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  09:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Sounds like a fantastic idea and fun! Congrats on putting all the pieces together.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  6:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm always ropeinable (new word, you may rent it for a very reasonable fee <EG>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  11:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great, but are you going to plan for any sort of transportation for folks between Kaupoa and Kaunakakai or will we need to work that out on our own?
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  11:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Boo-

RE-transportation: we are working on that.

But don't forget there is always the car-pool option.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000