Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 4th Annual North Coast Hula Workshop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  09:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following free lessons are available on Monday evenings at the Twinsburg Public Library, Rt. 14 just west of Rt. 91 in Twinsburg, OH.

6 - 6:30 Keiki
6:30-7:15 'Olelo
7:15 -8:30 Hula

Lessons are led by Dr. Michelle Malie Taylor, student of Mapuana de Silva. Annual hula workshops are held Valentine's Weekend every February. 2009 will bring the 4th Annual North Coast Hula Workshop , Ho`ike and Fundraising Lu`au. It will be taught once again by Merrie Monarch winning kumu hula Mapuana de Silva.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 01/08/2009 12:11:18 AM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  12:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
News flash -- Valentine's weekend 2009 -- the Fourth Annual Northcoast Hula Workshop
Workshop starts Friday evening with lessons from Auntie Mapuana de Silva and study of a mele presented by Kihei de Silva. Then plenty more lessons on Saturday. Ho`ike and fund-raising lu`au Saturday evening. This time, there will be some old, hairy, bearded Italian guy playing guitar and singing for the local Hula Hui o ka `Aina Punahele during the ho`ike!!!!

Mapuana de Silva is the kumu for Merrie Monarch-winning Halau Hula Mohala `Ilima and her husband, Kihei, is a reknown Hawaiian language and history scholar.

Can buy tickets for the whole shebang or just lessons or just lu`au, whatever you like. And if anyone comes flying in from out of town, Paul and I will be your taxi service from the airport, if you need.

Eh - come Cleveland in February. It is bound to be an experience you will never forget. E komo mai.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  04:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ale'a will be enjoying February in Cleveland. Two years ago they were here and made snow angels out in the lawn of the hotel. Music for the Merrie Monarch dancers of Halau Mohala `Ilima will be provided by Ale`a. Good music!!!!

Please join us.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  12:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition, one of the students from past years has been Hawaiian musicologist and kumu hula, Dr. Amy Stillman, one of our Taro Patch sisters. You do not need to pay extra money to reap the benefit of her mana`o. What a wealth of knowledge she is. Kihei says she is far and away "the" expert on Kaulana Na Pua. She knows so much and is so williing to share her knowledge.

Friday, February 13
4-7 p.m. - Registration; vendors' room opens; Hawaiian food available (uusually Spam musubi and pupus) to purchase
7-9 p.m. Class with Kumu Hula Mapuana de Silva and Kihei de Silva

Saturday, February 14 -
7:30 a.m. - Doors open; continental breakfast, vendors available throughout the day
9 a.m. - Noon - Class with Kumu Hula Mapuana de Silva
12:00 - 1:00 p.m. - Lunch
1 - 3 p.m. - Class continues
6-7 p.m. Coctails and silent auction begins
7-11 p.m. - Lu`au, silent auction continues; Ho`ike featuring Ale`a and the Merrie Monarch Dancers of Halau Mohala `Ilima

Sunday, February 15
7:30 a.m. - Doors open; continental breakfast; vendors available throughout the day
9-Noon - Class with Mapuana
12 - 1:00 p.m. - Lunch
1-3:00 p.m. - class continues

Prices:
$160 seminar registration by January 10. Includes 2 continental breakfasts, two lunches; notes, handouts & learning materials

$180 - Registration - full package as above after January 10.

$25 - Friday night class with Mapuana & Kihei de Silva

$55 - Lu`au - includes pupus, full buffet and two mixed drinks per person

It will once again be held at the Twinsburg Hilton Garden Inn, 8971 Wilcox Dr., Twinsburg, OH 44087, Phone 330-405-4488. When making hotel reservations, tell them you are with the hula workshop.

For further information, please contact Michelle Taylor at: michellemalie @ gmail.com

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  10:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her's some pics from years past. E komo mai. And wouldn't it be fun if we can kanikapila after workkshop is pau hana.

2008 Third Annual North Coast Hula Workshop

Paul Certo and Kihei de Silva. Only kine shave these guys like is shave ice, not shave face.

The whole group (cept me, I was taking pic), so as you can see, we do get plenty folks who are not scared to come Cleveland. Even had one lady from Japan and one time from Italy.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Kaiulani
Akahai

77 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  07:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaiulani's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Wanda,
I have decided to participate in the North Coast Hula...Ohio...event featuring Mapuana & Kihei de Silva. I am looking forward to meeting you and all.

A Hui Hou...
Me Ke Aloha,
Ka'iulani

www.GalleryKauai.com

Me Ke Aloha,
Ka'iulani

www.GalleryKauai.com
Go to Top of Page

pittdg
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  10:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Send pittdg a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha,
My wife and I are already looking forward to this event. It is so much fun to hear some beautiful hawaiian music and watch the wonderful beauty and grace of the dancers. I've went to one of the free language classes , but due to my wonderful job , its become very hard to be there. We've bought the hawaiian language dvd from instant immersion to start learning at home. I also have to find more time to learn to play my amazing ukulele. Hawaiian music and hula will always bring everyone together. We discuss Hawaii every day and are moving toward moving there some day in the future.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  11:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wanda said:Paul Certo and Kihei de Silva. Only kine shave these guys like is shave ice, not shave face.

I never like azuki beans in my beard, az why hahd.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  12:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget -- cost for workshop goes up $20 after January 10.

We are very excited that Kimo & Ka`iulani will be joining us. Bring your guitar, Kimo. Maybe we can get a kanikapila going. Maybe jamz with Ale`a dem. Or if you are flying and want to play music but don't want to travel with an instrument, let us know because Paul has an older 12 string and a 6 string and some electric plus I have my nice `ukulele.

Also, don't forget if anyone needs us to pick them up from the airport, plese let me know - send me an e-mail to: wcerto @ adelphia.net .

E komo mai.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Kaiulani
Akahai

77 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  11:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaiulani's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Wanda!

I have already exchanged emails with Maile. She would like Kimo to start a kanikapila on Sunday at lunch. But knowing my husband, he will be available anytime that weekend to play. (morning, noon or late night)...

Mahalo nui loa for the offer but Kimo doesn't go anywhere without his guitars.

Haven't decided how we are getting there yet...probably driving with Kimo and our 5 keiki.

Looking forward to February!

Me Ke Aloha,
Ka'iulani

Me Ke Aloha,
Ka'iulani

www.GalleryKauai.com
Go to Top of Page

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  7:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Aunty Wanda,
sad to say I am unable to be at Twinsburg this year. A real pity, because Mapu and Kihei are among the people I just love to listen to. Please pass my aloha on to everyone there, and enjoy the show tomorrow evening!

aloha,
amy k. stillman

amy k
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  4:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After-action report from Twinsburg, Ohio: We missed several of our friends who didn't make it this year, not the least of which was Amy Stillman, above. Hope all are available next year. We had a wonderful time, and learned much. Several first timers to Twinsburg were met and all are good folks. TP ohana included Kimo & Ka`iulani, who treated us to an unexpected Sunday lunch time concert. Good singing and playing from the heart. We also finally got to meet Dan & Shelly face to face, after crossing paths for 2 or 3 years at the luau, and never actually meeting. We have the beginnings of a Northeast Ohio Kani in the making. I may have to learn to play so I can keep up. The music for the hoike was provided by Ale`a, and was it ever great!
It was sad to dismantle our temporary Hawaiian Island for another year, but az why haad. For a weekend, it was a taste of Hawaii.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Kaiulani
Akahai

77 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  03:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaiulani's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Kakou,
Kimo & I would like to send a big MAHALO to Auntie Wanda & Uncle Paul for the Aloha they shared with us. It was also wonderful being with Auntie Mapuana again. I am looking forward to continuing my education with her to help carry on her hula lineage (as well as my own). It will be a wonderful and rewarding journey for me.
Our 5 children also had a fun time in Ohio...our youngest (Hanalei Mahina) called our adventure "Hawahio"...too cute!
Again...Mahalo nui loa for making us feel soooo welcome in Ohio!
Me Ke Aloha,
Ka'iulani (& Kimo)

www.GalleryKauai.com

Me Ke Aloha,
Ka'iulani

www.GalleryKauai.com
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  05:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were taught two mele, one was a hula noho (seated hula) using `ili`ili called E Kuini e Kapi`olani and one was auana called Ia `Oe e ka La e `Alohi Nei. Once again, the tag teeam approach by Mapuana and Kihei de Silva is amazing. Auntie would teach a verse at a time for the hula, first the feet, then the hands; then Kihei would teach us the meaning of the words and the stories and mysteries behind the words -- that is the part that delights both Paul and me so much. One thing I can tell you, I shoulda started learning hula in small kid times. The desire is there, but the physical capabilities -- az y hahd!

Saturday evening's ho`ike was spectacular. Our halau's keiki did two numbers and Auntie Mapuana's Merrie Monarch winning dancers (including their two daughters) entertained us so beautifully. It was a great showcase of various types of hula both kahiko and auana, using a variety of implements to actually teach the audience about different types of hula. We were also treated to a sneak peek at their auana submission for Merrie Monarch this year. They will be dancing "Makee Ailana" in Hilo this year. It was GREAT! Ale'a -- now these guys have talent. Wow, is about all I can say. Chad can sing, oh boy, oh boy, can he sing.

And yes, we did meet up with Dan & Shelly and Ka`iulani and Kimo, as well as friends we have made from past workshops. My problem is that I had such a bad cold, that I had to miss Sunday's sessions and did not get to hear the great music of Kimo & Ka`iulani. But we now do have the workings of a local kanikapila, for one of the vendors at the workshop who lives maybe 40 miles south of us, also wants to kanikapila and was so excited to jam with Paul while he was up here.

Of course, Auntie has pictures to share:

This is Dan and his wife Shelly (pittdg)

and here are Ka`iulani and Kimo (the kids were all sitting down so nicely behaved at the table)

And here are Auntie Wanda & Unko Paul, so happy for a bit of aloha in the middle of a Cleveland winter. Yes - the folks from Hawai`i got to make snowballs and have a snowball fight.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  08:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SO wonderful! Mahalo for sharing, with your reports and photos!
Go to Top of Page

pittdg
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Send pittdg a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As in years past, it was a great time at the luau here in lovely Ohio. The aloha feeling was definitely alive and well on Saturday, and its very hard to leave every year. I finally had the pleasure of talking to Paul & Wanda for a long period of time and look forward to some hawaiian music making in the process. I'm still trying to learn the ukulele and hope to be part of many jam sessions in the future. ALOHA to all! I hope to see some fellow Ohio taropatchers at the Jake show coming up in March.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000