Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Waimea (HI) Slack & Uke Institute
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  04:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
News article from yesterday about the upcoming slack & uke institute at Kahilu Theatre in Waimea, starting Nov 7:
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/articles/2008/10/31/features/features04.txt

"Beginning on Wednesday and continuing through Nov. 9, the Kahilu Theatre is hosting its seventh annual Ukulele and Slack Key Guitar Institute. The institute is a week of activities culminating in two public performances. At 8 p.m. Nov. 7, there will be a performance by the Pahinui Hawaiian Band featuring Cyril Pahinui, Peter Moon Jr. and friends. At 8 p.m. Nov. 8 is a performance by Richard Hoopii and HAPA, along with friends. As is tradition, these performances promise to bring all the institute artists onstage at some point in the night, complete with the requisite jam sessions.

"This year's Institute is also featuring Benny Chong, Bobby Ingano, Dennis and David Kamakahi, Ozzie Kotani, Aaron Mahi and Jeff Peterson. These musicians are all dedicated to the preservation and perpetuation of ukulele and ki hoalu music, while pushing the creative limits of the instruments, thereby infusing the instrument's history with a modern edge.

"The institute provides a unique opportunity for the community, young and old, to learn from and perform with top local ukulele and ki hoalu artists. The institute kicks off at 6 p.m. Wednesday with the opening reception. This event is free to the public and will include live music in the lobby from 6 to 7 p.m. and then a showing of "Holo Holo Paniolo" at 7 p.m.

"On Thursday, there will be a kanikapila on-stage beginning at 7 p.m. This event is free to the public and is an opportunity to jam with the musicians so bring guitars, ukulele, bass or a favorite music-maker.

"The workshops and private lessons will begin at 2 p.m. Nov. 7, followed by the performance at 8 p.m. by the Pahinui Hawaiian Band. The workshops are limited to 30 students and are filled on a first-come, first-served basis and are $40 per workshop. Private lessons are available as well on Nov. 7 and 8 by advance registration only.

"The workshops will continue all day on Nov. 8. At 2 p.m., there will be a free talk story session featuring Mahi and his work documenting mele paniolo. The day will end with the 8 p.m. performance by HAPA and Hoopii.

"At 2 p.m. Nov. 9, there will be a free performance of "Na Mele O Paniolo," a concert featuring the music of the Hawaiian cowboy (paniolo) played by Dennis Kamakahi and Mahi and friends. This hour-long concert will feature music that has been played by generations of Waimea paniolo.

"The Kahilu Theatre accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Tickets may be ordered by calling the box office at 885-6868 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tickets are $35 and $40. Classes can also be reserved by calling the box office. Visit http://www.kahilutheatre.org to download the brochure and institute schedule."

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha:
Any Taropatchers going to attend.
I will be there.
I hope I can still sign up for the workshops.
Les
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000