Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Classical to steel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  6:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always played nylon string guitars ... but now I'm thinking about getting a steel string.

Any recommendations on, say, Martin, Taylor, or Larivee steel string guitars that are conducive to Hawaiian slack key? I'm especially looking for a guitar that is nice and easy to play.

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  6:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hands don't like the necks on x brand guitars. My ears don't care for the sound of nylon string guitars. This makes me an expert in what? Play as many guitars as you can get your hands on, in your price range,and listen from the heart. Sooner or later the choice will be made from within you. If the choice evades you, sit on your wallet until it can accomodate a larger range. You hafta please your ears and hands, not someone elses.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  10:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Taylor 612C that is, to my ear, a great slack key guitar. The important thing is to test play the guitars in all the tunings that you are using. Some will sound better than others in certain tunings. So far my Taylor is pretty good in every one I have tried; it especially likes Taro and Leonard's F (CFCGCE). Also nice in DADGAD and the Irish fiddle Orkany tuning that I picked up at the Healdsburg Festival from Steve Baughman. (I can't remember the notes off the top of my head).
Of course the other considerations are the action (usually adjustable) and the spacing. For instance, unless you have particularly small fingers, you won't like the Taylor Dan Crary for fingerpicking, since he is a flat picker. Same goes for most dreadnoughts.
Best advice though is play and listen. If all else fails, talk to a luthier about a custom ax.
Go to Top of Page

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  5:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used a Taylor 615ce, and have been very pleased with the sound and playability (is that a word?). Also, I've been very satisfied with the Elixir strings. Lots of aloha coming out of that big ol' baby. Now, if I could just reduce the wrong (colorful) notes....
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  08:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Won oddah ting--Cutaways are useful for getting to the higher frets in slack, but with steel strings you are usually 14-frets to the body so it's not quite as important as with a 12-fret classical instrument.
Aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  09:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kinda lucky here near the Taylor factory. Was able to score a factory second nylon string (CHEEP) a few years back NS-74ce (rosewood cutaway with electronics) to add to my K-22ce steel string. These two guitars are so similar feeling -- fret spacing and neck width/depth that the only adjustement I need to keep in mind when moving from one to the other is the tonal differences, string tension, and the differences in note sustain. Its the moving back and forth from 6-string tenor (slack key) ukulele to guitar to low-G tenor ukulele that is keeping the brain activity high and my mind young.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000