Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Two New Blogs on Hawaiian music !!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  09:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha friends: there are two new endeavors to bring to your attention, and to invite you all to check out. Within one week, not one but TWO blogs on Hawaiian music have been launched!!

Hoʻolohe Hou . . . where classic Hawaiian music lives . . .
http://www.hoolohehou.org
Topical approaches to Hawaiian music that began life in an internet radio show before licensing issues halted the broadcast. But the knowledge and ʻike is priceless, so our friend Bill Wynne is graciously sharing his knowledge and passion with playlists we can all groove to.

Hawaiian Music for Listening Pleasure--Recordings, Recommendations & Remarks
http://amykstillman.wordpress.com
Thoughts from the desk of Amy K. Stillman, educator, author, lecturer, producer. This will have to suffice until she finishes her long-overdue book projects . . .

amy k

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  09:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh argh!! apologies to Bill. The correct address to the Hoʻolohe Hou blog is:

http://www.hoolohehou.org

and apologies to anyone else who clicked on above and ended up on a dead-end page.

I updated the link in the original post. -Admin

amy k
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  3:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up, Amy, and to you and Billfor sharing your mana`o with us.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  06:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are two wonderful sources of information and learning. Bill knows so much and is not afraid to share it and has such a collection of music. He should be considered a national treasure. (And don't forget that sweet voice of his).

And I will never forget talking to Kihei de Silva on the topic of "Kaulana Na Pua" and he pointed to the back of the room to Amy and said, "she is the foremost expert on "Kaulana Na Pua". And thus began an adoration and appreciation for the brain of Amy Ku`ulei Stillman. Moreover when I see her in our hula workshops, knowing her background and her expertise with mele and with hula and see her sweating out Auntie Mapu's instruction as hard as any other of the haumana, how could one not be humbled.

Thank you Bill and Amy. Mahalo nui loa for taking care of the music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 08/30/2009 08:38:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  08:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Thank you Bill and Amy. Mahalo nui loa for taking care of the music.

Thank you for the beautiful sentiments, Wanda.

Amy is definitely a treasure. I had been reading her works for years before the advent of the Internet. So to actually get to "talk story" now with her through these technological wonders is nothing short of a miracle and one of the great joys of my having become involved in Hawaiian music and culture.

Mahalo, Amy, for your friendship, your support, and your aloha.

P.S. Today at the blog I celebrated the birthday of Sonny Kamahele, and tomorrow, the birthday of Joe Marshall.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  08:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
I spend so much time in front of a computer at work, with a proxy that screens out streaming audio so I can't listen to 50th state except at home -- I almost never turn on the computer at home, though. Sure is nice to be able to put the MP3s on my iPod and listen. One of the kapuna in our local ukulele group was cleaning out his garage and gave away all his old LPs. I have been busy converting old Hawai'i Calls music to my iPod and having a grand old time.

Mahalo Nui for your passion and dedication. We are a small but appreciative group that listen and enjoy along with you.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  09:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know Bill was still putting out updates. I look forward to reading both blogs. Thanks Amy K!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  2:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

Bill,
I spend so much time in front of a computer at work, with a proxy that screens out streaming audio so I can't listen to 50th state except at home -- I almost never turn on the computer at home, though.

I hear you. My employer screens out streaming audio too. I was quite addicted to AM 940's "Na 'Oiwi 'Olino" - which I have been devouring this week on vacation since it is now archived.

Just to be clear, "Ho'olohe Hou" is no longer broadcast on 50th State Radio. (In fact, that station as we know it ceases to exist.) These are now web updates with an occasional sound file. I hesitate to call it a "podcast" since I rarely do any announcing anymore - simply play a few sample tunes as an example of the topic or to further illustrate a point. So these files take only a few minutes to listen to now instead of two hours.

It's a pity that many will not tune in as I will be featuring music that does not exist anywhere else to my knowledge. Some of this material was never commercially available. Kupuna handed down some precious and rare things to me because they knew I would preserve them and share them. This is my way of sharing them - for now.

What kinds of things might one hear on my blog? How about a tape from a house party at Pauline Kekahuna's house? Or Genoa Keawe and Peter Ahia live at Primo Gardens? Or Sterling Mossman at the Barefoot Bar? I am still trying to get permission to use excerpts of some of this material from the relatives of these artists. But there is much, much more like this.

So to all who do not turn on their computers after work, pity.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  10:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Bill. So good to hear your voice on the computer again. You do us all, and the preservation of Hawaiian Music, a great service. I'm excited and looking forward to hearing more of what you will be sharing with us all.

A hui hou,

Norman

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 09/02/2009 10:41:04 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000