Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Zoom Q3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  4:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom is coming out with a new gadget that incorporates a Zoom H2 recorder and a video camera in a small package. The video is only 640x480, but it could be just the machine for producing Youtube videos.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/637380-REG/Zoom_Q3_Q3_Handy_Video_Recorder.html

Jesse

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  07:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to recommend against this thing, even though I'm a big fan of the little Zoom recorders. I'm afraid they missed the boat on this one since YouTube switched to 720P video as their preferred upload format.

Basically, if you give YouTube a video produced by the Q3 you'll be a second class citizen, and get lower resolution playback with sidebars.

Also, the Q3 misses the key requirement for better audio with our video - the mic has to be closer to the subject than the camera. Regardless of microphone quality it can't overcome the laws of physics, the distant mic placement required by a unit like this means the reflected sound will dominate over the direct sound and the recording will be weak, distant, and less than great sounding.

So clearly what we need is a very inexpensive unit that does some HD style video format and offers an audio input.

Meet the Kodak Zi8!!!! I feel a little foolish hyping this unit since I don't have one in my hands and I'm thinking the release has met a snag and is in delay. But if you Google up some reviews of the pre-release units you'll see a lot of praise for the features. I plan to grab one as soon as they're available and I would recommend that anyone in the market for a YouTube camcorder try to wait until they can evaluate this little shooter.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 09/12/2009 07:31:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  08:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Meet the Kodak Zi8!!!! I feel a little foolish hyping this unit since I don't have one in my hands and I'm thinking the release has met a snag and is in delay. But if you Google up some reviews of the pre-release units you'll see a lot of praise for the features. I plan to grab one as soon as they're available and I would recommend that anyone in the market for a YouTube camcorder try to wait until they can evaluate this little shooter.

Fran

I have one. It is very good for the price and I don't use mine nearly as much as I should.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  2:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would bet the next generation of Q3 will have upgraded video. Too bad they didn't do it in the first verson. Since it's a new market, it will take a while to settle down.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  09:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sm80808

quote:

Fran

I have one. It is very good for the price and I don't use mine nearly as much as I should.

Zi8 or Zi6??

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 09/13/2009 09:37:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  09:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

I would bet the next generation of Q3 will have upgraded video. Too bad they didn't do it in the first verson. Since it's a new market, it will take a while to settle down.
Jesse

Development cycles don't happen overnight, that's for sure. It appears that both Zoom and Apple were caught by the YouTube change. I would think they're both scrambling to get the new formats in place.

Or they may not be - for some folks the video quality isn't such a big deal. A recent article in "Wired" magazine opined that "good enough" is the new "best" and that consumers are happy with inexpensive, simple, portable devices even if they sacrifice the last increment of high performance.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not completely sure that Wired Magazine is totally reliable. The paper airplane instructions in the latest issue don't work very well. I even got my brother to try it. His didn't fly well either.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  03:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Jesse

Development cycles don't happen overnight, that's for sure. It appears that both Zoom and Apple were caught by the YouTube change. I would think they're both scrambling to get the new formats in place.

Or they may not be - for some folks the video quality isn't such a big deal. A recent article in "Wired" magazine opined that "good enough" is the new "best" and that consumers are happy with inexpensive, simple, portable devices even if they sacrifice the last increment of high performance.

Fran

Man, I read that article, and I think the writer is dead on.

I am merely part of the minority on this point though. I like my quality to get better and better. I don't need the device to get smaller and smaller. I am still waiting for someone to perfect the car LP turntable. Mine skips am awful lot.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  04:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, not for LPs, but at least you can spin those old 49th State, 45s on your "autoplatenspeler".

No Studebaker should be without one.

http://tinyurl.com/pw286e

http://tinyurl.com/otoy36

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  09:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, here is my take on youtube video:
640x480 video can be quite good on youtube.
For my kanikapila videos, I use a FLIP standard def camera 640x480.

1-Use any modern PC with the free MOVIEMAKER on it to edit the AVI files. It will work with no file conversion needed.
2-Save the end result in "high quality-NTSC" format which is 720x480 in WMV format.
3-upload to youtube

Here is an example of this process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFywWoCr730&feature=channel_page
as you can see, the sidebars are not very large and the video is fairly decent for a $100 camera. Audio is not too shabby either. If the ZOOM can improve on the audio, then that would be the cats meow.
You would have to check to see what kind of video file format the ZOOM outputs though. Generally speaking, AVI files works better on PC and MOV files work better on macs. Newer cameras are trending to MP4 files. They provide ok video, but are a bitch to edit. Format conversion is usually needed.

The biggest obstacle to making a nice video is holding the camera steady. If you can hold the darn thing steady and keep your focus on the subject at hand, you will look like a pro, regardless of sd or hd.

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000