Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The mele "Halema`uma`u"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  09:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This beautiful song was written by Maddy Lam & Bill Ali`iloa Lincoln.
We have it as recorded by Hulu Lindsey, and it is indeed a work of art.

I have a question about the lyrics in the second verse.

It says: He ali`i nui `oe ka malihini
O neia `aina pahoehoe"

From huapala.org, the translation by Mary Kawena Pukui is "To the visitor of the land of lava rocks, Evident it is that you are a great chiefess".

I guess I am getting confused that it is saying that you, the ali`i nui are the visitor. Would this be correct? Is it implying that Pele is the ali`i nui and is also the visitor to the land of the pahoehoe? I understand that in the first verse when it is talking about "ka wahine" that is definitely Pele.

Mahalo for any help in understanding. We are getting ready to learn to dance this in our halau, however, none of us are native speakers, including our kumu.

Halema`uma`u - by Maddy Lam & Bill Ali`iloa Lincoln

`Ike `ia i ka nani a`o Halema`uma`u
Me ke ahi kaulana a`o ka wahine

He ali`i nui `oe nâ ka malihini
O neia `âina pâhoehoe

Onaona nâ maka o ka malihini
I ka ho`opulu `ia e ka ua noe

Ha`ina `ia mai ana ka puana
`Ike `ia i ka nani a`o Halema`uma`u Behold the beauty of Halema`uma`u
And its famous fire of the woman, Pele

To the visitor of the land of lava rocks
Evident it is that you are a great chiefess

Wonder shows in the eyes of the visitors
Gazing upon you in the misty rain

This is the end of my song
Of seeing the beauty of Halema`uma`u

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  5:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aunty Wanda: your copying of the line is missing the crucial piece:
He aliʻi nui ʻoe NA ka malihini.

You are a great chiefess for the visitor

Look down below: there is the na!

The aliʻi is Pele, who is the wahine in the 2nd line of v1.

amy k
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  12:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duh. Not such a good typist any more, I guess. Goes to show how a small word missing can change things. I apologize for my sloppiness.

Thanks, Amy.

Now Unko Paul is having trouble playing the song as done by Hulu Lindsey. She does not repeat the second and third verses; she changes keys from D to F; we are going to learn by repeating each verse, so one of the guys took Aunty Hulu's verson and electronically repeated the two middle verses, but they stay in the same key, instead of changing like when she repeats verses 1 and 4. I think all that has to be done is for Paul to learn it well in one key and we don't pay attention to the recorded version. He said it was hard to figure out what to do while in taro patch tunig. Might have to use standard tuning?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  12:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other thing: ka vs. na?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  07:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in the phrase "na ka malihini" the na is a preposition "for", not the plural definite article. So the entire phrase is na ka malihini.

Just like in Hiʻilawe: He hiwahiwa ʻoe na ka makua. same thing.

amy k
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  07:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuulei88

in the phrase "na ka malihini" the na is a preposition "for", not the plural definite article. So the entire phrase is na ka malihini.

Just like in Hiʻilawe: He hiwahiwa ʻoe na ka makua. same thing.

Or the seldom heard "Hanalei Bay" by Alfred Alohikea.

A he milimili ho`i na ka malihini

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  09:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Rhapsody.com and search for this mele. There is a version by Bill Lincoln. No key change and each verse is done 2X. Sounds like a simple 6 chord hula so taro patch could work if you like sing um in G. the chords seem to be I,I7,IV,I,VI7,II7,V7 then the vamp.Go for it and have fun.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  4:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The real issue was trying to play along with the recording for learning purposes. Not being fluent in olelo /hawai`i, I need to work with a source to learn the song. For this reason I was playing along with the recording at the lesson last night. It was slightly tricky figuring out the chord and key changes on the fly. Plus, the vamp has to change keys in both directions.When Mapuana De Silva taught the song, she played it herself as she sang. (Wanda & I weren't there.)She repeated each verse, so one of our computer savvy members modified Aunty Hulu's recording to suit our purpose. Once I cath up, (If?) I probably won't change keys at all, unless I stay in standard tuning. Although, playing D & F from Taropatch was interesting. Remembering when to change keys was also "interesting." Again, once I can play & sing without Ms. Lindsey's guidance, all will resolve. Then I'll pick a key that suits my voice and stick with it. I happened to be in Taropatch, mainly 'cause it's all I really know at this point, so I stayed there. I didn't know what key the recording was in at that point, either. Standard tuning is probably the best choice at this point. Especially since I actually used a flat pick and played rhythm. Learning the words and phrasing is the main focus right now.
Mahalo for all the input and suggestions. That's what we needed.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 10/01/2009 4:24:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  01:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Go to Rhapsody.com and search for this mele. There is a version by Bill Lincoln. No key change and each verse is done 2X. Sounds like a simple 6 chord hula so taro patch could work if you like sing um in G. the chords seem to be I,I7,IV,I,VI7,II7,V7 then the vamp.Go for it and have fun.

I wanted to thank you for hearing and acknowledging the VI7 chord here. 99% of musicians I know blow right through it.

Amy and I were just talking last week about how otherwise beautiful and complex songs get oversimplified over time by a less-than-well-trained ear and the lack of written musical notation for the song. The example I cited was "Po La'ila'i." It is almost universally played like this:

G - C - G - E7 - A7 - D7 - G

When it really goes more like this:

G - C - Cm - G - B7 - Em - C - G - D7 - G

My lifelong crusade - or one of them, anyway - is to hear these songs played correctly.

Unko Paul, be true to Bill Lincoln's melody on this song. There are some beautiful 6ths and 9ths without which the thing sort of falls apart.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  02:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What timing!!! A new video posted by Na Palapalai singing "Halema`uma`u"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n2LUmAYyK8&feature=sub
I think it was done at Chai's.

Here is one done a few weeks ago, before I knew we were going to dance it. Just a man and a guitar (and a fantastic leo ki`eki`e).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aQHdho9xbA&feature=related

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 10/04/2009 03:03:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  08:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Bill Wynne. The old stuff played well is a beautiful thing to behold and I attempt to keep it true to the best of my ability. The 6ʻs and 9ʻs I did not put in because I didnʻt want to add too much spice to the stew that Paul was already cooking up. Mahalo for your kind words.

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  05:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Mahalo Bill Wynne. The old stuff played well is a beautiful thing to behold and I attempt to keep it true to the best of my ability. The 6ʻs and 9ʻs I did not put in because I didnʻt want to add too much spice to the stew that Paul was already cooking up. Mahalo for your kind words.

I don't think you missed a thing in portraying the chords. I think they are dead on!

The 6ths and 9ths are in the melody line. And I often hear singers flatten these out because they are just too tough to hear and/or sing.

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  12:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo nō, I just noticed that in Pō Laʻilaʻi you could place a G7 between the G and the C in the beginning of the verse as well. But you are right that the correct chording adds to the overall sound of the song and makes it more musical. Good to have you in the patch and posting man.

Edited by - noeau on 10/08/2009 12:14:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  6:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

Amy and I were just talking last week about how otherwise beautiful and complex songs get oversimplified over time by a less-than-well-trained ear and the lack of written musical notation for the song. The example I cited was "Po La'ila'i." It is almost universally played like this:

G - C - G - E7 - A7 - D7 - G

When it really goes more like this:

G - C - Cm - G - B7 - Em - C - G - D7 - G
I often heard reference to the frequent lack of correct chords in performing Pō Laʻilaʻi, but nobody told me what the correct chords were. Thanks for posting them.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000