Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 "A Taropatch"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  07:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to practice three vocal pieces over and over that end up in keys that require me to capo up to 2nd fret on my taropatch-tuned steel-string guitar.

I like the sound of open strings and the ease of using no capo, so is there any harm in tuning the whole thing up a whole step from taropatch? (E-A-E-A-C#-E)

This is the same as tuning three strings up from standard tuning, instead of three strings down, so it seems an equivalent "variation." But will it put too much pressure on the neck and damage the instrument somehow?

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  08:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, assuming the guitar is well built and in good shape, I'd do two things. I'd use a lighter gauge string set, and I'd be careful to shield my eyes when bringing the strings up to tension. Bottleneck blues players use "Taropatch A" pretty often, and there are stories about strings snapping and inflicting pain.

Other than that, it should be fine.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  09:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Fran.
Always wondered why those blues players wore shades indoors at night.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000