Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Sonny Lim Band
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  06:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last time I saw Sonny Lim (June 2009) he was in a band with a uke player whose last name was Pahinui, and a bass player (shaved head) with an incredible voice. Does anyone know the name of the group, the actual names of the uke and bass player, and whether they have any recordings available?

Karl
Frozen North

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  04:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can buy their (only?) CD online from the Parker Ranch Store:
http://www.parkerranch.com/Media/420/ka-paniolo-parker-parker-ranch-cowboy

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  11:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

You can buy their (only?) CD online from the Parker Ranch Store:
http://www.parkerranch.com/Media/420/ka-paniolo-parker-parker-ranch-cowboy

They actually contributed a generous number of songs to the Mele Hula CD series (Volumes 2 and 3) as well as instrumental support for a number of other artists on these beautiful CDs.

I think their version of "Pua Carnation" is the best recording of that song ever.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  8:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Auntie
Thanks, but I do not think that is the same group I saw in June. Sonny told me at the time they were working on a full CD. He introduced me to the uke player, ______Pahinui, and said he was Cyril's son or nephew. Do yo know who this might be? And the bass player was the most incredible tenor. I've tried emailing Sonny via Palm Records but got no response

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  03:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure sounds like the uke player is Kunia Galderia. He's Cyril's nephew and I've recently seen him use the name Kunia Pahinui Galderia. As Bill said, he made some great contributions to the "Mele Hula" CD's.

Both Kunia and Sonny Lim will be part of the Seattle Slack Key Festival on November 21 & 22 . . . come on down, Karl!

Don
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just spoke with Sonny's wife, Donna. The uke player was indeed Kunia Galderia, and the bass player is Kevin Kealoha. They are in the process of making a CD.
Thanks for you help, folks.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000