Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Textbook and Guide to Slack Key by Peter Medeiros
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  5:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In light of my previous post:
quote:
This is not a book for those that are afraid of musical terms, musical notation, and an in-depth explanation and analysis of Slack Key Methodology -- Peter is a Professor of Music. If you run away from words like "scordatura", "habanera", "kinetic patterns", and the like -- then you should hold off on this book
I have met a few people that would like to learn slack key. However, when I start to mention a few basic music theory concepts (for example, the Open G Tuning only uses the three notes of of the G Major Chord) they state that is WAY TOO MUCH information. They just want to know how to play or to copy the way I play a specific song without wanting to know how they can remember the song through simple chord forms and repeating patterns. They want to see and hear how the song is played.

Peter's book is outstanding. But there are no audio files and there is no video of Peter playing the songs. If you restrict how you are willing to learn to listen & see only, then ANY book will not help you.
quote:
The methodology is covered in the first chapter. If you read through and understand this chapter, what you learn here can then be applied to each of the ten tunings in the text. Although each tuning is in one sense unique, they also share certain characteristics, which is what I explain in detail in the first chapter. What my book does is provide you with an efficient means of learning slack key.”

Ditto on what Peter said!!! This book has an outstanding explanation of the Methodology. You will not find this in any other Slack key Book I have read. The methodology is well written and easy to follow. Once you understand it, learning slack key will be much easier.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  09:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to offer my sincerest thanks to those of you who have purchased my first book Hawaiian Slack Key: a Lifetime of Study Volume 1 Methodology. The response has been phenomenal.

I now realize that my classroom has become much larger than I had ever imagined and that I now have to provide additional support in helping you hear the traditional sound of Hawaiian slack key as I know and teach. I have been teaching most of these songs for decades – starting about 1970. So, I have taken for granted that most people actually know them. This view may apply to Hawai'i, but it certainly doesn’t hold true once I made these songs available to the public outside of Hawai'i.

My schedule at the University is fairly heavy this month; the final six weeks before the semester ends are the busiest. But starting in December I will be making available to the public mp3s of selected songs that are in the methodology. These mp3 downloads will be made available on my website http://www.slackkeybypetermed.com for free and will be done by increments (which means when I have the free time to record). I must reiterate that although there are 43 songs in the method not all of them will be made available.

I have to work out the details with my domain host. This will not happen until early December and it will be an ongoing recording process followed by posting the mastered mp3s. If you have any questions drop me a line and I'll be glad to be of assistance to you.

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 11/12/2009 09:39:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  2:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the book, and looking forward to the mp3's, Thanks Peter!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  6:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hawaiian Slack Key: A Lifetime of Study
Volume 1 Methodology

Peter Jay Kapahua Medeiros

I wasn’t sure what to expect from a 283 page publication, plus bibliography and index taking total page count to 290. Since it was authored by "Da Professa", I thought it was going to be a very academic text presenting history of slack key, its players, along with instruction. I was pleasantly surprised that the "Lifetime of Study" is far more practical and agrees with its name as a "Methodology" for learning how to play slack key. The book stands out among available slack key instructional materials in its breadth and quantity of material. Without a doubt, the book is the culmination of a lot of effort, thought and experience on behalf of Professa Medeiros.

I haven’t had time to work through the music/tabs yet but was impressed by the inclusion of lyrics and background notes that provide additional insights into each song. I also appreciate the manner in which various tunings are presented. Key points open each tuning including basic chords, two note sequences, common vamps, and background information about the tuning. The full Table of Contents can be viewed a www.slackkeybypetermed.com/Chapter-Review.html, but here are highlights of the many tunings and songs that quickly fill the near 300 pages.

Taropatch

Hoea Traditional
Salomila Traditional
Kalena Kai Charles E. King
Old Tune Peter J.K. Medeiros
ʻUla Nō Weo (Duet G Tuning) Traditional
No Ke Ano Ahiahi (Trio G Tuning) Traditional
Sassy Hiram & Kokolia
My Boat is Sailing Traditional
Maunawili Medley (Duet G Tuning) Peter J.K. Medeiros
Ahi Wela Traditional
La Paloma Sebastian Yradier
Adios Ke Aloha (Duet G Tuning) Prince Leleiōhoku
Wai Huʻi O Ke Aniani Traditional

Drop C
Ua Nani O Nuʻuanu Traditional
Nahenahe Leonard Kwan
Lei No Kaʻiulani John Edwards
Ka Manaʻo No Ia Ida Hanakahi
Beautiful Kahana (Duet Drop C) Mary Montano

G Wahine Tuning
Kaula ʻIli Elizabeth Haʻaheo
Hawaiian Lullaby Kimo Chillingworth
Ka Manu Traditional / Namakelua
Ka Manu Traditional / Pavao / Chillingworth
Kawika’s March (Duet G WahineTuning) Traditional

D Wahine
Hiʻilawe Sam Liʻa Kalainaina, Sr.
Noho Paipai Traditional
Nawiliwili Traditional
Maikaʻi Waimea Traditional

C Wahine
Hi‘ilawe Sam Li‘a Kalainaina, Sr.
Kilakila O Moanalua Traditional

C Major 9
Wailana (Duet CM9 & C Maunaloa) King David Kalākaua
Heʻeia Traditional

Open C Tuning
Kaʻena Samuel Halsted
Ua Noho Wau A Kupa (Duet CM9 & C Maunaloa) Traditional

C Maunaloa
Hola E Pae Traditional
Kalawao Peter J.K. Medeiros
Blue Pond Peter J.K. Medeiros

High C Maunaloa
Salomila Traditional
Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua Traditional
No Ka Pueokahi (Duet CM9 & Hi C Maunaloa) Traditional

G Maunaloa
Paʻahana Traditional
Papakolea Johnny Almeida

Congrats to Peter on writing, compiling, arranging and publishing such a resource for the study of kī hōʻalu. It's hard to imagine Volume 2 (a broader study of how a number of different artists over time have played slack key), Volumes 3, 4 and 5 (focus upon the performance styles of specific artists) are still forthcoming. Also be on the look out for mp3 audio files to be made available at www.slackkeybypetermed.com. I don't know how Peter has found the time to complete volume 1 and will find the time for subsequent volumes but a big mahalo!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  9:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got Peter's book this week (at a kanikapila with SirDuke and Ho'okani guys along with da Abrigo Ohana, Uncle Ron Kanhele, was unreal!). After spending a good part of the day paging through it, I just have to say, "WELL DONE, Peter!" It is a fine addition to my musical library. Clear, concise, easily navigated. IMHO, get one for yourself, you'll be glad you did.
Go to Top of Page

old Pooperoo
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  07:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Peter. I'm especially thankful for the analysis of Gabby's tunings and techniques. This helps me link together more tunings and styles. I attended the recent workshop and Slack Key concert in Seattle. Being able to learn from Cyril and Dennis and then playing a couple tunes with them was so much fun. Lot's of chicken shkin that day! Mahalo again for all your hard work and dedication.
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  08:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just recieved my copy in today's mail. This volume will go back and forth between my nightstand and my music stand for quite a while. What a treasure trove for us slackers. Many, many thanks, Peter, for all of your work.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  12:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working my way slowly through this rich and comprehensive text but I've hit a speed bump in Chapter 8: Open C Tuning. I find this a really beautiful tuning (at least when I've heard Cyril play it), but I can't make sense of the list of basic chords on page 233. In fact, this page is identical to the basic chords for the C Major 9 tuning on page 217.

So am I missing something, or did maybe two pages get mixed around at the printer? Has anyone else got the same problem in their copy of the book?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  2:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welina,

I would like to announce there is indeed a printing error in Chapter 10 with the Open C chord charts on pages 233 and 234. Although the header on the page was correct, the wrong music file was called up during the printing process. A pdf file of the correct chord chart is now available in the new download section on my website http://www.slackkeybypetermed.com/Downloads.html.

The new download section will be an ongoing work in progress and will include musical examples of the songs in the book, not all of them but those which I have time to record. I don't have such great voice, but you should be able to get a good idea of what the music sounds like. Not all of the songs performed are in the book but are used here to demonstrate certain techniques and approaches to slack key.

There is a lot music on this page, so depending upon your internet speed you may have to give this page a couple of minutes to load. If you have a T100 or T1 connection it will load quickly. There are 30 examples on this first page and ten songs in their entirety so be patient.

Ahui hou
Peter

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 03/23/2010 12:46:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  9:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those UH Manoa students who were unable to enroll this coming fall in Pacific Music Performance Class: Slack Key Guitar - MUS 123B 001, but were unable to do so, contact me directly at petermed @ hawaii.edu and I will do a prerequisite override to get you into the class. The course syllabus will be posted later this summer on Laulima. Hawaiian Slack Key: A Lifetime of Study is the textbook for the course and will be available at UH Bookstore before the start of fall semester. A hui hou.

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 05/28/2010 9:40:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  05:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tanks eh Peter! Da book is awesome. Different from all my odda slack key books, cuz you explain everyting, not jus have different tabs fo different tunings. Dis is da perfect resource fo peeps like me who no mo teacha - all i get is da books and da internet. I no can wait fo see wat else you goin put togeddah in da odda volumes! Mahaloz!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

kmedeiros
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  1:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I'm late to the party, but amazing book, thank you Peter! Anybody know when Vol. 2 will be coming out?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  08:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should be getting feedback on the initial anthology next week. After making whatever changes that are necessary I'm hoping make it available sometime in June, before the July workshops at UH with the Pa`i Foundation.
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  08:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, thank you again for writing such a great book and for sending me the CD of the downloads. I especially like the chapters on the different "C" tunings that are missing from the other books. I like your version of "Hi'ilawe" and it is deeply satisfying for me to be able to play this classic song now on my 12-string guitar. I'm really looking forward to volume 2 and I'm wishing you the very best of luck with it. -Matthew in Oregon
Go to Top of Page

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  4:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up Peter's book on my last visit at Harry's Music. Been really busy at work so it took me a while before I got a chance to look at it and I am so glad I got it. Living in Georgia there are not many kanikapilas going on so I have to learn from YouTube and books. Peter, thank you for your work, it will provide me with hours of study and the chance to learn other styles that until now have been a mystery to me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000