Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Nail click
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  11:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

For some reason - age? - my nails are starting to splinter and are getting shorter due to filing. The result is nail click with every stroke. I've tried speed and angle change, but can't get rid of the annoying click. Any suggestions are welcome. Mahalo.

Larry

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2009 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't worry. As we age we lose the ability to hear high frequencies. In a year or two, you won't be able to hear the click.

Now don't you feel better?
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2009 :  11:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Larry,

My experience has been that clicking is generally caused by the nail hitting the string without flesh to dampen the sound. This occurs especially when using fast right hand movements, like tremolo. You can limit the clicking by using an attack that incorporates the flesh of your finger. The sequence should be that the flesh touches the string, then the nail follows. The release (or follow-through) is both the flesh and nail. The finger should also be loose on the follow-through, which means that the joint of the finger closest to the nail will flex. You may need to practice really slowly to get it consistent. Not sure if that made any sense at all. . .

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2009 :  3:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

If the main issue is the strength of your nails, you may want to try using a product like Nutra Nail to make your nails thicker and stronger. This might help with the splintering you mentioned and allow you to grow your nails a little longer. Just a thought!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  08:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the crack about hearing loss... couldn't resist.

RE: Strengthening your nails: I just heard something interesting from a totally different source: Erica Azim, who teaches Shona mbira (which is played with your two thumbs & right forefinger), suggests the following:

quote:
You may
want to harden your fingernails by dipping them in very hot saltwater.

I've never heard that one before, but it might be worth a shot. In Zimbabwe, mbira players typically play at ceremonies that last all night, so they might know a thing or two about keeping your nails tough!

Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  5:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Mark, Darin and Lance.

Yesterday I realized the click is pronounced on nylon, but hardly discernible on steel string. Interesting.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  05:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adequate nutrition may help. Glucosamine, gelatin, MSM, whatever.
While playing for some friends a while back, they mentioned string squeak and other accompanying noises. I told them that it was part of playing, that I was playing an actual guitar and not a synthesizer. Life don't have to be pretty to be beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  08:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I told them that it was part of playing, that I was playing an actual guitar and not a synthesizer.

Well, if you were playing a synth, you'd be able to take advantage of General MIDI patch # 121: Guitar Fret Noise. Sprinkle some squeaks to add "realism" to your performance. I'm not kidding.

Oh, and Patch # 127 is Applause. So you can feel good about playing a synth, I suppose.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  1:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, is there a MIDI patch for raspy breathing of the "player" and maybe another for clearing the throat?
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  11:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed the initial post on this subject but nail click is something I have payed attention to very closely over the last few years.

In a nutshell, Darin's post covers the problem. You need flesh and nail to get a good clean sound. You should also smooth your nails with a fine grit board or stone and you should also stop opening cans etc. with you picking hand.

I noticed nail click when I began to work on Heitor Villa Lobos' Etude #1--it is a busy arpeggio study. Nylon does make noise stand out more, but if you record yourself you will find that it is a problem with steel too.

Cutting down nails will not solve the problem because the click either gets worse (string clips the nail after releasing from the flesh) or you will begin to hear your fingerprint ridges pass over the string. Both are very distracting (to me).

The thumb is a big issue too. If you get a metalic click on your basses, it is from the string clipping the nail on the way through. I found that I either had to grow my nail out or cut the nail way way down like on a nail-biter's thumb. But once again, I think you would begin to hear your fingerprints.

Guitarplayer nails (plastic) can give a very good tone if you cannot grow good ones but then you need to absolutely make sure your real nails are constantly filed and tapered into the plastic(electric with conical bit) to avoid double striking.

I play nylon and steel and I find that just a 1/16 or 1/8 nail works real well. You must also meet the sting with flesh first as Darin said.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000