Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Who's been using their Guitar Center Black Friday.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  07:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weekend discount cards?

I went to the San Marcos Guitar Center (again!) after work today to test-drive the Egnator
stacks and combos and the Fender Super Champ XD. Keep in mind I just bought a new
Fender Telecaster there last night, using a 15% off one item card they mailed me for Black
Friday. Well... a couple of my friends just had to open their traps and start talking
about some new low wattage tube amps and their mighty prowess...

First I played a Telecaster, a Strat and a Les Paul through a:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-Rebel-Half-Stack-863005-i1437908.gc

It's variable wattage control reminded me of a Power Soak on the output of a Mesa Boogie!
I could play anything from bright rockabilly to creamy Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs at
surprizing decibel levels! I could definately feel the buzz Jon B was talking about, with the
local Southern California performing musicians scene. I was and still am very impressed.

Next, I tried the same guitars through the Fender Super Champ XD. This Champ is hands
over fists superior to my previous mid 70's Vibro Champ. It has more voices than any other
amp I own (I have 60 guitars and about the same number of amps, all for different
applications). This Champ lacked a little of the bottom of the Egnator, so... I plugged the
speaker out of the Champ into the Egnator Speaker Cabinet. The sound was fuller than
the all Egnator stack, so...

I bought it and have been jamming the Tele through it for sbout two hours!! I now know why
Miller was throwing a hissy fit over this powerful little combo! It's going to be fun mic'ing
this Champ onstage at a future gig. It's quite the musical weapon for a variety of axes.
Maybe over the next couple of weeks I'll try it through one of my Marshall 4-12 slant cabs.

I used my Saturday 10% off card for this purchase...

I still have a $50 off coupon on a purchase over $349 that's good through tomorrow...

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  08:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reviews. I've been lusting after one or another of those little tube jobs---nothing like hot valves & tiny speakers for a great recording amp.

But there ain't a force on earth that would get me to shop Thanksgiving weekend. You are a brave man.
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  10:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No bigee, Mark. Our local Guitar Center is offse from the WalMart and Kohls in the same plaza. It was quick in and quick out both days. Ric

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  11:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Ric,
Say hi to the USA bubbas for me. I spent all day with the local musicians in kanikapila and having a grand old time with slack key and ukulele. I'll not be there this week as I am again working on Oahu.
Captain Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  11:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do, Skipper! I also picked up an Ibanez:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEB10E-AcousticElectric-Bass-Guitar-with-Onboard-Tuner?sku=519995

Spruce top and mahogany body for warm, clear tone.

The Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic-Electric Bass Guitar with Onboard Tuner gives you warm, full tones. A Fishman Sonicore pickup and SST preamp deliver a fat, punchy sound. The mahogany neck, back, and sides make for a rich low end. Features a spruce top, pearl dot inlays, die-cast chrome tuners, rosewood fretboard and bridge, and an onboard tuner.

Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic-Electric Bass Guitar with Onboard Tuner Features:

Mahogany neck, back, and sides
Rosewood fretboard and bridge
Spruce top
Fishman Sonicore pickup and SST preamp
Pearl dot inlays
Die-cast chrome tuners
Onboard tuner

Christy Johnson, from the Carlsbad village Square Association and the Carlsbad Village Farmers Market has requested acoustic only music, as the city of Carlsbad has implemented new noise ordinances. I figure an acoustic bass will be a nice substitute, in Jim Stowes absense. Ric

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  11:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

But there ain't a force on earth that would get me to shop Thanksgiving weekend. You are a brave man.
That is what I was thinking but sounds like GC was okay. Congrats on the new purchases, ricdoug!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000