Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Using Finger Picks ???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  10:15:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to get more volume and a brighter crisper sound out of some of the songs I'm working on so I thought I would try finger picks. Oh my ! Its like learning to play all over again. No control, feel like I'm so far away from the strings.
Any suggestions ?

Mahalo

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  11:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Jim, there is definitely an adjustment period but once you get past it you'll find that it's not that hard to switch back and forth. Try "playing softer" when you're using the picks...I find this helps me.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  12:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I will second that, Jim.
Once you get used to them, they are no problem. You have the added advantage (once you get used to them)
of being able to play the steel guitar, and (tragically), the banjo.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  7:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Even though I primarily use nails, sometimes they break... and generally right before an important gig.

I'm sold on Alaska picks -- they slide under your existing nails -- or what's left of 'em. The key is to take a long time with a nail file, clippers, sandpaper... and entrenching tool... to shape them just right. Believe me, they feel like torture before you modify 'em. You may have to remove some of the plastic that goes around your finger so they don't pinch, as well as shape the business end. The second key is to make them short -- no longer than your normal nail would be for playing.

I keep a full set in my case -- labeled w/ permanent marker so I can augment whatever nail broke. Once I got them all to fit, I can hardly tell the difference between my real nails and the plastic one.

Sorry, I don't know if they have a thumpick solution. I use metal fingerpicks and a great huge mother-of-vomit-colored thumbpick for steel, but I've never liked the feel of a thumbpick on guitar.

Maybe that's why I've never been able to play like Merle...

Happy picking!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  8:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Here's another vote for Alaska Piks (the plastic ones). For a thumb pick I use their XL size so it's just like playing with your thumbnail (one less adjustment to make when you go to play without picks).

Craig
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  09:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the input.
I sat down to play last night and tried putting on one pick and struggled thru a few basic exersises until it kinda sorta started working and then added a second one. It's definetly going to take some time.
I'll stop at the music store today and try the Alaska pick.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  10:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I've been playing guitar with "Alaska" pics off and on for about a year now(you get it, off and on) usually after I break a fingernail. Anyway, I could never understand why one would wear this pick tucked under a fingernail. If I had a functional fingernail I would'nt use the pick. Anyway again, yes, you should cut, trim and sand um to your own comfort and be patient when using with them. Took me a while to get use to them but in my opinion they are the best product out there now for guitar. Aloha and have a happy day!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  1:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You can tuck them under a fingernail that is as short as 1/8". Also Jim, if you can't find them at the store you can order them from the Web site. (Although it's nice to be able to try the different sizes to see what works best for you.)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  10:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
I've played guitar with fingernails for years, but have desired the dimension capable with finger picks. Since bluegrass banjo requires picks I own and have used about a dozen brands of fingerpicks and thumbpicks. I've been playing with a standard National thumb pick and ProPick twin band, brass finger picks. I decided to use the same combination on my guitars for slack key. The transition took some effort because old ways die hard, but it was worth it..

Brass gives a slightly softer sound, and the twin bands allow a perfect fit, without any digging into the cuticles. Btw, to play well and consistently with finger picks, they must be worn exactly the same every time, and twisted in such a way that the pick meets the string squarely.

Here's a picture of the ProPick twin band in nickle-silver.
http://www.janetdavismusic.com/finpiks.html

Edited by - David on 06/16/2004 10:52:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  12:42:45 PM  Show Profile
It's just a matter of spending time with them. I got used to them quickly and they're worth it when you need them (playing in a setting where volume is needed). They'll save your fingers and once you get used to them you find that you can add some new dimensions to your playing. I used to play exclusively with them but as I get older I find that I go bare fingers more often than not.

Happy picking!
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  10:14:34 AM  Show Profile
Yo Jim, I just keep my nails longer on i, m, a, and use a large Alaska pic on the thumb. I still hit mainly with my skin and the nail gives the volume on the way off. It did take me awhile to get used to havin long nails on one hand ( both my pinkies are trimmed down though). Things like itching your ears or picking your nose can be lethal! Don't know how some of these women function with some of the painted claws you see on them now and then! Been lucky with strong nails but have to keep them shaped and filed regulary so they don't "hook" on the strings. Keep experimenting you'll find your groove....Aloha, Ken.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  8:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i use a "zookie" thumb pick (plastic thumb pick with a twist at the end) and play with alaska picks when my fingernails are acting up (which is often, lately).

aloha, keith

PS hey, what's wrong with the banjo? think of it as a loud taro patch-uned ukulele. kawelina (doneley) smith says that on one of dennis kamakahi's songs - i don't remember which - dennis uses a clawhammer pick pattern on his guitar. when asked about this, braddah dennis 'fessedup that he plays the banjo too.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  10:14:49 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

With your new way of holding the geetar, you won't need those things anymore.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  11:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi dave - yep, i noticed that!

dave pointed out to me that i was holding my right arm more appropriate for someone using a flatpick. by resting my forearm more on the top of the guitar, the fingers hit the strings clos to a 90 degree angle and the wrist remains loose, which results in a clearer and louder tone. later on, during one of the lessons, keola elaborated on right hand position. so, i'm retraining myself.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000