Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Airlines, guitars and watercolors?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

parlorplayer
Aloha

16 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  3:31:01 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, After reading and re-reading the old posts about airlines and guitars, I finally was prompted to write because of the reoccuring reference to watercolors. My dilemma is how to get my 22x32" gatorboard with (arches hot press paper in between )and my Larrivee koa parlor on Hawaiian Air. This morning's long phone call to Hawaiian still didn't solve anything. It left me with the "What if they won't let me take the guitar as carry-on?" worry. ( I did copy the referenced letter) I guess I can box the art board and paper as oversized, and that counts as my two pieces for check-in. Technically the parlor is too big for carry-on, but it seems that most of you out there have done it. I can take it in a hard case or soft---?. We will be flying from SFO to Honolulu and then the Big Island. The inter island flight is where I thought I might have problems with the guitar. I've been a watercolorist for 27 years and an enthusiastic slack key player for 8 months. We'll be at the Slack Key festival in Hilo on the17th and 18th for our 3rd year with new appreciation. Mahalo for all the help on this forum!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  4:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Unfortunately, I have no definitive answers for you since much depends on the size of the plane, capacity of the flight, and the gate attendant on the day of your flight.

I can say that I've been fortunate on Continental and Hawaiian Air, carrying my guitar(s) onboard. In fact, local flights have been particularly good (knock on wood). Island Air was too small a plane going Molokai but they hand carried by "gig bagged" guitar with special care. BTW, I'd suggest a hard case. I had my beater in the gig bag.

A little pleading with the flight attendant can help too. Once time, I was forced to gate check one guitar but allowed to bring on my parlor in a HSC because the attendant agreed that it was significantly smaller than the other guitars.

I'm not sure what to tell you besides "hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst."

Andy
Go to Top of Page

parlorplayer
Aloha

16 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  10:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your quick response! I called The Music Exchange in Waimea and the guy told me to just take my parlor in the gig bag. He said then they (probably) wouldn't make me check it in. But, because of your advice "prepare for the worst-- I'm also experimenting with a bike box that I could cut down and put my watercolor stuff and guitar in. I guess I called The Music Exchange with the possible excuse of getting a guitar over there :) We were lucky enough to buy a house on the Big Island last year and will be going back and forth every year between tenants. I may just leave my parlor there and let someone enjoy it while I'm away. BTW I have an all mahogany parlor too, and just like most people who have them, it is my favorite. For the watercolor people out there, I'm experimenting with the new Daniel Smith natural pigments. There is a connection between lushious pure color and sound. If you paint and play, I'm sure you know what I mean.
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  10:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha PP,
Went Hawai`ian Air in March Oakland-Maui then to B.I. and back Oakland.; no problem EVAH with the parlor in a soft case. No problem United last few years either.

Fits right in the overhead. Just put it in last, on top of everybody's stuffs.
For me, it was my main carry-on item, aside from my(huge) fannypack, so that probably helps. If you stumble-up with one axe and other luggage, they might be more inclined to make you check SOMETHING.

You do get kind-of a "oh, he must be the air marshall, guitar, yeah right" look from fellow passengers though....but they no bother you whole flight den

Hey, have fun playing your easily-transported no hassle ever parlor over deah.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  02:31:08 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Parlorplayer, we just came back from Maui, and my husband and I checked our guitars, carried our ukuleles on, and my son was able to bring his guitar on and put it in the first class closet. United Air Lines to SFO. But we never travel with our good guitars, the Martin and the slide stay home. It is easy to replace my Baby Taylor and my husband's parlor should they get damaged.

As for the watercolors, I take half-sheets of 300lb. paper and my board, which fit into the bottom of my suitcase. A lightweight easel goes in there as well. So I brought all this art stuff to Maui and was so busy making music, etc., that I only made one sketch. But I took a lot of reference photos, got some great ideas, and hope to knock out a bunch of tropical landscapes soon. If you know people at your destination, you could also box and mail the art supplies to them. UPS is pretty good for that.

Good luck. Need someone to go with you????? Julie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000