Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Report from Kamp Kahumoku
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  03:21:37 AM  Show Profile
Aloha. Yes, we did sit on the stone wall at sunset with our cocktails and looked over to Molokai, and toasted all the folks at Aloha Music Camp, wishing we could be in two places at one time.

Eventhough Larry and I got to Maui a week ahead of time, we still didn't have enough time to do everything we wanted to. My 22 year-old son joined us for the workshop, and he gained a whole new appreciation for Hawaiian music. He grew up with it on the stereo, I didn't listen to much else during the 80's and 90's, but now he understands it more. He easily surpassed us on the instruments, he's just a natural musician.

Bob Brozman was a great asset to camp. He gave several rythm lessons which had us walking around slapping our legs and anything else that was available. His National steel guitar was probably the most heard intrument in camp. Except for KonaBob's bass, which was amplified... We converted our regular guitars with nut extenders and had a lot of fun with the slide techniques. He made his lessons fun and exciting, and he has one exceptional sense of humor. OK, back to ukulele for me.

Keoki Kahumoku has a great way of teaching. He's patient and fun, and made sure everyone was on the same page. Aloha Music Campers will remember the year Keoki was there with Herb Otha Jr. I think we spent most of the time in their class laughing. Keoki was joined by two exceptional young ukulele players, Garret Probst and Peter Aquino. These two play at the Hula Grille on Saturdaynights, and on Tuesdaynights they set up the sound system for George's Master Slack Key Show at the Ritz-Carlton, after which they get to join the featured artist at the end of the show. We got to see Richard Ho'opi'i the week before camp, and my face hurt from smiling at him, he was so entertaining.

One of George's goals is to include everyone in the nightly kanikapilas. We sat around in a circle and played along with Cyril Pahinui, Bob Brozman, Dennis Kamakahi, David Kamakahi, Carlos Andrade, Ozzie Kotani, Led Kaapana, George and Keoki. (I'm sure I left some people out!) It's kind of neat jamming with these great musicians. Lawrence Bryant set up and maintained the sound system. Great job, Lawrence! Now and then someone would get up and hula. Brozman also had his percussion boxes with which he would get everyone into the same rythm. Imagine that!

Ku'ulei Palakiko taught us a chant, and his wife Evalani taught both wahine and kani the hula.

The whole week ended on a high note as we all practiced for two numbers on stage with George at the Maui Slack Key Festival. There was a lot of excitement preparing for the show. People twittering backstage, adorned with flower an ti leis, hugging and laughing. When we entered the stage, we chanted this booming chant that had everyone responding, and I think we blew away the audience. There were 60 or so of us on stage, and we wowed them! First, four of us wahine danced the hula to Hale Olu, then the kane joined us for a roaring couples hula to E Huli Makou. George danced center stage with Nancy. I didn't see everything they did because I was dancing as well, but there was an awful lot of hooting and hollering and whistling!!!

We stayed and watched the rest of the concert and then took off for the Blue Marlin at Maalea Harbor, where the manager did everything he could to accomodate us. There we were joined by Kevin Brown, and we played some more at the open mike.

I could probably go on for a lot longer, but there was just so much that I think my brain got fried in the first couple of days. Then it all became a blur of music, food, swimming, more music, more food...

Wishing we were back on Maui, Julie

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  10:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Julie:

Wow! Thanks for your wonderful report! Between yours and Jesse's stories, it makes it more agonizing to wait another whole year for the next workshop! It's been great reading all these tales from the AMC too! I just met up w/some friends last night for dinner who were in Maui (I didn't know they had gone) and who just happened to catch the Slack Key Fest and said how blown away they were at the quality of musicians they saw there (even the students!). They were first-timers to listen to slack key and are now hooked.

I honestly don't know how you all are re-entering the atmosphere and getting back to real life, after such a fantastic week of music, sun, and fun. I would be afraid that I would never come back.

Thanks again!
Maggie

Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000