Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Questions about some Iz songs.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  8:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I received the following email, and am posting it here, as there are a lot of akamai members who might be able to answer them.
Mahalo,
-Konabob
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Willie & Bob:

I'm learning the song "Kamalani" as sung by Iz. In order that I could better introduce it to my listening audience, are you able to tell me who, what or where Kamalani and Puka'nilui is?

Who was/is Willie Dan who wrote White Sandy Beach or is this the only song he is associated with? This song I'm learning is also by Iz.

Thanks,
Harry

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  12:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakahiaka, Kona Bob:

A great reference for Iz music is: Iz: The Songbook Collection put out by Warner Bros. Publications. Just do a google search and you can find all kinds of sources for it.

kama means child; lani means heavenly, aristocratic; high born. Iz explains the song as being about a pampered one.

Pu`ukani = sweet-voiced; singer
Nui - large, great == someone with an exceedingly lovely voice. Unless there is some kaona which I am clueless about (as I usually am).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/27/2007 04:58:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  12:49:10 AM  Show Profile
Re: Willie Dan -- I love what Iz says on one of his CDs: "This song is by Willie Dan. Don' know who da heck, but very one nice song, brah."

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  11:09:17 AM  Show Profile
Kamalani was written by Larry Rivera from Kaua`i. He is Leilani Bond's father. Kamalani was his first grandchild (Leilani's first daughter). You all know I'm a big Leilani Bond fan; no one sings this better than Leilani Bond (on her third album).

From her album liner notes:
Written in 1975, Larry was asked by the owner and manager of Coco Palms Hotel to pen a song about the frogs that were so abundant and noisy in the lagoons fo the hotel grounds. In a children's story, Pu`ukaninui, a great singer who traveled and visited tha sacred area of Wailua and was cautioned to return before sundown lest he turn into a frog. He fell in love with Kamalani, the grandaughter of a high chief and stayed. Kamalani was the name chosen before the birth of Larry's first granchild.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 03/27/2007 1:10:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Kamalani was written by Larry Rivera from Kaua`i. He is Leilani Bond's father. Kamalani was his first grandchild (Leilani's first daughter). You all know I'm a big Leilani Bond fan; no one sings this better than Leilani Bond (on her third album).

From her album liner notes:
Written in 1975, Larry was asked by the owner and manager of Coco Palms Hotel to pen a song about the frogs that were so abundant and noisy in the lagoons fo the hotel grounds. In a children's story, Pu`ukaninui, a great singer who traveled and visited tha sacred area of Wailua and was cautioned to return before sundown lest he turn into a frog. He fell in love with Kamalani, the grandaughter of a high chief and stayed. Kamalani was the name chosen before the birth of Larry's first granchild.

I love Leilani too. I can't wait to get her Christmas CD. By the time I saw info about it, this past holiday season was drawing to a close. I'm definitely getting it this year.

Guess what? We've emailed each other on occasion!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  2:34:41 PM  Show Profile
Actually I think the proper words in Kamalani are

"Pu kani nui" with the kahako over the "u" in Pu
not pu'ukani

I think the Pu kani nui is the "large conch shell trumpet"

So, you can hear the voice of "pu knai nui" is referring to the call of the conch shell trumpet.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  2:50:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Oh here I am, Kamalani,
Here in this paradise
Kamalani, Kamalani
Is this the fullness of heaven,
Here in this paradise?

Please come to me, Kamalani
Where nights are still, Kamalani
You can hear the voice of Pûkani Nui
He beckons you, Kamalani
You'll be together again.

Kamalani, Kamalani
You'll hear the sound of his voice
Here in this paradise.

Please come to me, Kamalani
Where nights are still, Kamalani
You can hear the voice of Pûkani Nui
Oh, here I am, Kamalani,
We'll be together again

Kamalani, Kamalani
Here in this paradise
Kamalani, Kamalani
Here in this paradise...paradise.

I can see where the "conch shell trumpet" and the "sweet voiced singer" could be one and the same depending on the placement of an okino or a kahako. I listened again to Iz's singing in "E Ala E". There is no gutteral stop as in pu'u but a long oo as in pu (with kahako) or poooo.

Frogs don't sound much like conch shell calls.

I guess the real key is "sound of his voice".

Chunky must be right again!
(Dang, I hate it when that happens)

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  6:10:05 PM  Show Profile
This is why I get very confused as I try to learn the `olelo. I do believe that Iz is just not pronouncing it correctly. Leilani Rivera Bond does distinctly pronounce it as "Pu`u"; so does Uncle Moe; Iz does also on one or the other of the DVDs - you can watch his mouth -- it is not distinct, but very definitely a glottal stop.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/30/2007 12:05:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  7:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Just a nitpicky point (I am not a Hawaiian language expert, but): I believe the sound signified by an `okina is a glottal stop (as in glottis; back of mouth, top of throat) not gutteral.

Great song in any case

JC

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:52:50 AM  Show Profile
I can make my conchs sound like frogs...
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  3:43:54 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any conchs, but my singing voice sounds like a frog. Does that count?

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  4:11:37 PM  Show Profile
I have a carved and hollowed out wooden "frog" from Thailand that you rub a stick across its ridged back and it sounds like a croaking bull frog (used as a percussion instrument). r-r-r-r-r-rbk

My conch shell sounds like the "ocean"

my glottal stop is rather gutteral too

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  1:26:25 PM  Show Profile
If anyone still needs an answer, I have Leilani Bond's email address.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  2:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey chunk, try ask leilani! it'd be fun to know...

every time i try to play a conch shell, i wonder where the mouthpiece is. can one use a trumpet mouthpiece?

keith
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  5:22:42 PM  Show Profile
Eh Keith - are you going to Kai-Sen tomorrow? If so and I get down there, I'll bring a couple conchs with me and show you how to use...
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  5:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
nancy - hm, probably not tomorrow; i have a dinner with some faculty; i don't know how long it will go. starting next week though, yow! i've been working on a version of "maori brown eyes" and have "he 'ono" half down, kinda. one of these weeks, we'll try them conchs :)

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000