Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Recording acoustic-electric to PC?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  01:01:50 AM  Show Profile
I've never used the electrics of my acoustic-electric Applause. Has anyone ever tried recording one of these directly to a PC? Is it as simple as wiring a couple of jacks and plugging one end into your guitar and the other into the microphone port or the line-in port?

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  04:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You'll probably need to add a preamp to bring the guitar output up to line level. Otherwise (assuming you have software to record with) yes, it's that simple.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/13/2003 04:19:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  12:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I record my acoustic steel by plugging it directly into my Mac G4 and it works just fine. As mentioned above, a preamp can help bring up your level, but just as an experiment, try it without. I recorded this mp3 using 2 tracks for my steel guitar in taro patch tuning and one for my stick bass (tuned G-B-D half a patch of taro ):
http://www.konaweb.com/stick/Poi_Dog_Waltz.mp3

-Konabob

Edited by - Konabob on 07/13/2003 12:24:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  12:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Konabob--

Great piece! The stick bass is also just plugged into your computer? No preamp? Sounds great. I have one of your stick basses and love it.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  12:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Hi Duke! I was at George's workshop for a day. Hoped to have met you. I will definitely be back next year. George and Nancy are great people, and I met a lot of wonderful folks.

Yeah! Plugged the bass into my G4 through my eq box to knock out finger noise. I am using "Sound Sculptor" software which sells for $35. Does an amazing job!

Glad to hear you are having fun with your Kona Walkingstick. Do you perform with it anywhere? If you are ever able to record some of your work, email me an mp3! Even though we can see Hana from the Big Island, I have only been there once in my life!

-Lookin' forward to meeting you!
-Konabob

Edited by - Konabob on 07/13/2003 12:44:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  2:19:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Craig and Konabob!

That's a really nice waltz! (And those walking sticks look COOL!)

Now, all I need is a trip to Radio Shack and a recommendation for a good freeware MP3 recorder.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  5:10:17 PM  Show Profile
Hans,
When I plugged my classics with Baggs dual source directly into computer - got a poor signal. Went and bought an M Audio Duo - plugged my 1/4" into the box, the box difitizes and goes into computer via USB. Works well. I found mine used for about $100.
I use Cool Edit which you can get on their website with a 20 day free trial at Syntrillium.com.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  12:37:30 AM  Show Profile
konabob--

no, I don't perform (yet) with the stick bass. I'm not really a bass player, but this really makes it easy, especially in half-patch tuning. I've showed it to lots of people here who were really intrigued and impressed. If you ever come out this way, let me know!

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  12:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Duke,
Kai Smith and Pueo Pata performed in Oceanview last night. Kai said this uncle had a great time playing your bass and really enjoyed it. Thanks for getting the word out.
I am a bass player only when needed. My first love is acoustic steel. I understand Bob Brozman will be joining George for a workshop in December. Hmmmm...
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  1:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Lucky you! Kai and Pueo are great aren't they?

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  3:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Very entertaining… outstanding voices. What amazes me is Pueo (a native American from California) has an unbelievable education in Hawaiian culture.
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  6:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Raymond! If I had to use a preamp would an ART Tube OPL Mic Preamp suffice? Those run $60 at zzounds.com and I've seen them for $35 on eBay.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  7:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hans, I'm not sure if the ART is what you want...for one, it's going to add color to the sound of the guitar that you might not want. Take a look at the Behringer mini-mixers with built-in preamps...$50 at zzounds.com for the UB502 and you have much more flexibility than the ART (you can mix in a vocal mic, for example). They are very highly rated (the UB502 gets a 9.8/10 user rating at zzounds.com). I have a slightly more expensive ($120) model and love it.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/14/2003 7:22:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  9:58:33 PM  Show Profile
I dropped by Radio Shack and got a 6-ft shielded audio cable (42-2433) and a stereo-to-mono adapter (274-374) and connected my Applause to the stereo microphone port of my old Toshiba laptop. I tested it with Windows 98's Audio Recorder. The signal was weak, even after setting all the recording controls to their highest setting, so I guess I may need a preamp (or just use a regular microphone for recording).

Hello Craig,

Thanks for the recommendation of the UB502. You're right, the ART probably isn't what I'm looking for. The UB502 is priced nicely at $50 but I'm still hoping to find a more inexpensive and simple preamp. If there's nothing else out there, I may opt for the UB502.

Edited by - ongchua on 07/15/2003 10:03:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  12:52:54 AM  Show Profile
Hans, I'm sure you checked this, but did you max out the volume control on the Microphone port inside Win98? I dont remember the old Toshibas having a Line-In port.

I doubt you'll be able to get in cheaper than the UB502. I believe it's better to spend the couple dollars now, then find something of poor quality and having to pay for that AND the UB502 eventually. I haven't worked in two years, and I still buy the better pastels for my paintings, for example. I've always bought into the notion that you get what you pay for, and when it comes to my art or my music, I splurge the extra $10 or whatever. Trust me, it pays for itself knowing that you'll not have to pull your hair out to get the sound you want

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  01:06:39 AM  Show Profile
Hello Greg,

Thanks for the response. Yes. I set the mic recording volume, the general recording volume, and my AE-36 volume dial to their maximums and I still got a weak signal mixed with noise. I'll briefly experiment with another recording software and will try the Mic and Line-In ports on my desktop which has a SB Awe64 card (probably this weekend).

I did some browsing online and it DOES look like the UB502 is the best deal out there (new or used). I went to the Behringer website (http://www.behringer.com) and downloaded a PDF of the UB502 manual and it reads as a very capable device.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000