Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kihoalu Festival Pictures!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  04:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha all,

We should all be proud of our Taropatch.net ohana. A few of our members shared the stage with some of the best in Slack Key performers.

http://www.pbase.com/edkalama/festival

Enjoy and hope to see more of our members next year!

ed

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  10:35:54 AM  Show Profile
Ed, thanks for the pictures. I look forward to perusing them. Did the camera really keep you off the stage?

Perused! Those are fine photos with fine subjects! I see Andy found some new shoes. Thanks again.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 06/23/2003 12:15:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  12:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Ed!
Mahalo for posting the pics!!! Looks like everyone is having so much fun! Bet they all learned a lot too. What an experience!
Thanks again, Ed!
Aloha,
Stacey
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  12:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Great photos Ed...mahalo!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  3:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Thanks for posting your pics Ed. I'm sorry I did not get a chance to meet you. I believe we walk past each other several times but as you know there was so much happening at the time. George's camp was a wonderful, enlightening experienced. As soon as I arrived at the Mauian and heard the haunting sounds of guitars, ukuleles and chants in the air I knew this experience was going to be very special. Fun, fun, fun, from the first day of instruction to the Slack-Key concert finally at the Maui cultural center. I would like to thank everyone at the camp for making the last several days a really memorable time of friendship, learning and enlightnment. I'm back at work right now and did'nt have the time to review the pics I took on Maui. I will post them in the future. So until I figure out just how to do that, have a great day and wish you were there. Alooooohas!
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  4:31:01 PM  Show Profile
Way to go. As if I didn't have enough reasons to feel sorry for myself.
Ho'omaika`i. Mahalo.
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  6:08:00 PM  Show Profile
First of all....."Ed! Great Pics" But I don't see me! Nah nah nah, just kidding.

"NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! SARAH BECOMES THE GUEST SECRET KIHO'ALU ARTIST AT FESTIVAL 2003!!!!!!! TOOROOT! TOOROOT!

Sarah was the the Guest Secret Performer! For Real!!! "Ed! were you still around when she was introduced on the stage with "Bruddah"Kevin, Ikaika and Joe?" TaroPatch Ohana....You would've all been so proud and full of emmotions if you were there to see her performance in front of a magnitude-plus people (and then some...) That crowd of people that Ed posted! By the time Sarah played, they had doubled!

The clincher was when she spoke in Hawaiian as she thanked "Ohana" Brown, and all those that have taught, and helped her with the Art of the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar. She blew the crowd away when she spoke in the Native Tongue....Before she went on stage to perform, "Bruddah" Kevin gave a wonderful introduction to the mega-crowd that began in the beginning when Sarah and Reid first met "Ohana" Brown.

Then she began the play "Hi'ilawe" in the old style that of which was recognized by a former member of a Hawaiian Group called "Na Keonimana". He's name is Alan Pokipala ("Bruddah" Poki on Maui's Hawaiian Radio Station KPOA (www.kpoa.com) He said after her performance before she left the stage, that when he closed his eyes....he could hear the stylings of Aunty Alice Namakelua. She sang it just like her in the old style.. All of you here on TaroPatch should be so proud of her! I am so VERY PROUD of her..."Love you Sarah"!

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH FROM SATURDAY (JUNE 22, 2003 @ BLUE MARLIN"S RESTAURANT AND GRILL")!!!!!!

As I had posted last Tuesday (June 16th) I was at a Class Reunion Meeting up in Pukalani that evening when about 15 of them went to the Restaurant for open-mike. I missed Sarah's and Andy's debut that night. But as luck would have it, I was able to join them for Dinner and enterainment this past Saturday June 22nd! Guess what????? Give up?

YUP! Sarah again went up and performed for a really good sized crowd And as she did the Tuesday night I missed, she stole the show, and impressed alot of the Local Maui Residence. Some Maui-Musicians, and Sarah had a moment under the spotlight at the "Blue Marlin Restaurant and Grill with "Bruddah" Don Kaulia, Pani Malaiakini and others who were there. Sarah's Performance was a hard act for me to follow....So instead of going up, I enjoyed watching and listening to her more.

"T'WAS THE NIGHT BEFORE THE KIHO'ALU FEST WHEN SARAH ONCE AGAIN PERFORMED HER BEST....IN FRONT OF A CROWD OF PLENTY AND ME SO VERY IMPRESSED!....

AS SHE CONCLUDED THE "TOAD SONG" ALONG WITH DON AND PANI. NO SOONER AS SHE LEFT THE STAGE CAME THE ENTERTAINERS FOR THE KIHO'ALU FEST...

ONE BY ONE THEY CAME OUT OF A CAR...KIHO"ALU'S BEST!

"BRUDDAH" NOLAN! MIKE KAAWA! SARAH OPENED THE SHOW FEATURING THEM AND THE REST!

There you have it everyone here on TaroPatch! You all should be so proud of Sarah! Andy, Lynette, Julie, Larry, Ross and the rest of TaroPatch Ohana was at the workshop that Saturday night. So they weren't able to join us at "Blue Marlin". Later Ed Kalama will be if not already, be posting more pics, and Andy will be too! More pictures to see! BTW! I forgot to mention! Ozzie sat with Sarah, Julie guys out in the audience on the lush thick green grass of the M.A.C.C. throughout the Festival! Talk about a bonus! More so, it was such a wonderful treat to be able to watch as Julie gracefully danced the Hula! "You Danced so Beautifully Julie!"

Well TaroPatch Ohana....I'm about runned out of things to say! When Sarah, Reid, Julie, Larry, Andy, Lynette, Ross and the rest get back, you'll be reading more Posting of all that went on prior, during and after "Maui's Kiho'alu Festival 2003", and again more photos! I may have left out some things, there were so many of them! But what I missed, you will hear from the rest

Take care everyone! Looking forward to meeting and seing all of you in the future! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill Pellazar
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  8:57:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the wonderful pictures, Ed and thank you, Bill for the great blow by blow.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  10:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Bill,

Your post is so colorful, both in the tales you tell, and in the garden of yellow and green plants you decorated it with. Here's one back,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  12:18:27 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Pauline! Hey! Long time we no wala'au! I'm glad you like the colors. Whenver it's possible, I love to use these colorful expressions, to help me bring my stories and tales to life! These are so 'kewl! Anways, I realize sometimes I do get carried-away with them, but they're so much fun!

As you've already seen through photos posted, Maui's been full of joy, and excitement prior to and after the "Kiho'alu Festival". Wished you and everyone else was here too! Enjoying with all of us the Drama and excitement that unfolded during this past week.

Some day, be it during another event like this past Sunday at the Maui Arts And Cultural Center...or a visit by some of you who do make the trip to the Hawaiian Islands, that during that one day or days we can all get together for a "Waihe'e Valley, Maui Kanikajammapila" .

In the mean time Pauline, let's continue to keep in touch here on TaroPatch. Take care Pauline! God Bless! Good Health and Prosperity! But above all else....continue to kiho'alu and JUS'PRESS!!!!!!! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  02:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Eric,
Eh Howzit bruddah. I would have liked to meet you there at the backstage. Nobody told me you were at the workshop. Were you in one of the pictures? Please let me know so I can make some corrections for the benefit of our other taropatch ohana. Having said that, I get the feeling I probably missed others in the class too. Please let me know if any of you guys are in the pics.

Mahalo!

ed

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  03:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hey hey Ed, yeah that's me in pic number 8. I'm the one, I think about to sit down, wearing the baseball cap. I was looking down to make sure that I had my rubba slippers on the right way. I missed a lot of the "Taro Patch Ohana" myself and I was at George's "funshop" for 4 days. I had intended to meet and jam with as many people possible. There was so many talented muscians at the workshop but just not enough time. I did recognize those who posted pics of themselves on the websight. Julie, Andy, Ross, Kevin, and Don, just to name a few. All very talented people in their own right. I was mesmerized by the beauty Napili to remember everyone. For that I apologize. Still, it was very "groovy" happening. Until I post again, goodbye and make someone happy...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  04:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Ed, Bruce Lamb is second from right (behind the guitar) in number 7. Bruce is the producer of Keoki Kahumoku's and Patrick Landeza's teaching DVDs (with more to come, from what I hear). Also, the guy on the far left in number 6 looks like Bob Lee (TucsonBob), "the only slack key player in Arizona".

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  1:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Mahalo Craig & Eric. Corrections made.

ed

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  11:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Hey Ed,
Thanks for posting all the pictures. It was really great to see you again. I think you may have wasted a few too many digitals on Vacaville's oldest slack key player (Me) but was glad to see some of the other taro patch ohana identified also. Just got home last night and am already thinking about next year. Diana and I had a wonderful time and can hardly wait to go back. Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  02:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Jerry,

Did not get a chance to meet or say hello to Diana. (too busy following you all over the backstage). Was she in one of the pictures. Was that her with the ukulele in Picture #11 (between Dan Sythe & Ed Bigelow)?

ed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000