Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Fixed Isa Lei - Taro Patch Tuning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  6:20:12 PM  Show Profile
I've never tabbed a song out before, but I created 'Isa Lei' in Taro Patch tuning. It's not all that great, but you can at least use it to figure out the song if you have a recording of it. For example, I've totally disregarded certain timing measurements. And the bass notes aren't completely timed right. I was using Power Tab Editor and I was tired of it 'beeping' at me.

I've wanted to learn this for awhile. So I just started to figure it out in G, since I didn't see one readily available in this tuning on the net and didn't feel like retuning to F Wahine or D Wahine.

So give it a looksee. Read the note at the top about formatting it so you can understand it. It took me a couple hours just to get this down, but if you think it's worth it, maybe I'll do another in the future. Remember, I was shooting for 'useable', not perfection

Also, and I doubt this, but if this looks familiar to anyone else's version, please let me know. Last thing I want to do is make it look like I've posted illegal tabs online.

http://www.mindspring.com/~rd2ruin/isalei.txt

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?

Edited by - rd2ruin on 07/17/2003 01:22:23 AM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  6:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Keith Marzullo tabbed this out a while back and posted a link to it. Do a search for "Isa Lei". You can hear him play it at
http://www.soundclick.com/taropatch

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  7:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Dusty!

And almost exactly one year ago today. Well, his certainly looks better than mine, but I'll leave it out there anyway. You can never have enough versions of certain songs, I always say :)

- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  7:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Greg, do you have a recording of yourself playing this? It makes it easier to follow the tab.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  8:12:40 PM  Show Profile
I will work on a recording tomorrow.

However, I have totally redone the transcription, and even though you still have to cut and paste it in Notepad (for formatting), it's almost completely accurate now, the way I play it. Looking back, that first one was a mess. This time I did it, with, you know, guitar in hand. Helps.

Cheers!
- Greg

Edited by - rd2ruin on 07/17/2003 01:07:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  10:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Craig, I put a real, real slow version of it up at http://www.mindspring.com/~rd2ruin/isaleitab.mp3

Funny, when I tried to play it this slower than normal (so it would be easier to follow the tab), I kept messing up more than I normally do.. a feat in itself. Is there anything more awkward sounding than forcing slack key to a certain speed?

It's under 1 meg, and I only did one each of the verse and chorus, just to give y'all an idea of how I'm playing it.

Cheers!
- Greg

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000