Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ka Ipo Lei Manu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  10:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

When Reid and I were on Maui, we heard twice on the radio a beautiful version of Ka Ipo Lei Manu. We've been trying to figure out who did it -- the dj never said.

It starts out with a spoken intro about the history of the song (the king, California, etc) and then a male sings (not falsetto - maybe baritone range) - and there is a sort of distinctive percussive "boing, boing" in the background during the song, part of the music...sounds a bit like a jews harp.

Anyone else heard this? Anyone have any ideas who does this version? It's not Gabby, not Dennis Pavao, not Sonny.

Mahalo no ke kokua

Aloha,
Sarah

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  11:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sarah, did you try doing a search on the song title at Auntie Maria's site? You can then listen to samples of each version found to find the one you're looking for.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  12:12:23 PM  Show Profile
mahalo! mahalo both of you!

Craig, I did look on Auntie's site, didn't find it ...although on a lot of older cds she doesn't have clips for everything...

and Admirable, mahalo 'ia 'oe no käu pane 'ana mai!! I'll check um out!

mahalo nui,

Sarah

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  1:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sarah, you have to click on the search link from her main page then enter "ka ipo lei manu" (with quotes) in the song title search box. That results in links to 7 versions, including Palani's, 6 of which have audio samples (although the audio sample feature seems to be broken at the moment).

Incidentally, Palani's is a medley with Unchained Melody and I Will Always Love You so I doubt that's the one you're looking for.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  2:41:42 PM  Show Profile
ooooo...... okay. Thanks for the clarification. I'll go check it out .

[...pause for checking...]

yeah, I can't get the audio to work, either. I think because it was a medley, I didn't pay close attn to it when I searched before. Still, I'll have to check back when Auntie gets the audio fixed.

Also, I just accidentally saw the song also titled as "Ipo Lei Manu" and did a search for that (didn't think to do that last time!) and got a list of 20 recordings.... so, I gotta poke around some more, too.

Thanks again,

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  08:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

I found it!!

...but I'm pretty hilahila because I found it in my own livingroom. Ha!!

Mahalo a nui loa to Admirable for naming Palani Vaughn, cuz it got me looking in the right direction.

At home we have a couple "best of" Palani Vaughn that we haven't listened to in a long time, so I took a look, and sure 'nuff, track 11 on Vol I of "Palani Vaughn's Best with the King's Own" (1993) is the exact, full version of Ipo Lei Manu that we were trying to find.

But we are so happy now - and don't even have to go buy one CD!!

mahalo and aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  2:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Alright!

Gee's Sarah you seem to run into luck
everytime your looking for a song. ha,ha.

Palani did a great arrangment on that song.
Remember you said in the back ground it sounds
like a juice harp playing?

Well Palani played something called, "U Ke'Ke.
It's a strip of bamboo that looks like a miniature
bow enough to hold in you tumb and index finer, with
some strips of coconut fiber's attached on each end.

And you play it almost like a juice harp.
It was said the "U KE'KE" was the first stringed
instrument invented by the hawaiians, before the
steel guitar came into play.

It is one of my favorite song by Palani Vaughan.

Aloha Pumehana
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  3:25:32 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kevin,

Mahalo for the info about the bamboo uke'ke -- I didn't know about it, but it sure makes a distinctive sound, and that's one thing about Palani's arrangement that is so great.

I think I'll go see if I can find a picture of the uke'ke.

Thanks, Kevin!

Sarah

-P.S.- Found a picture, and some info, for those who are interested:
picture at http://www.invivo.edu/~jsdenieau/Florence/IIB2.htm The site is in French (oops) but the Ukeke is the first picture you find on the page.
A description is at another site (even cites Palani Vaughn as a way to hear how it sounds ) http://ce.byu.edu/hi/pse/sample_unit_page_2.dhtm and page_3.

Edited by - Sarah on 07/17/2003 3:56:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  4:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
One of the interesting things about the ukeke (aside from its use to conduct private conversations between lovers in public) is that "ukeke lele", or "dancing ukeke", is considered a likely origin of the word "ukulele".

If you're interested in making your own ukeke, look for a copy of the OOP 1988 book, "How to Make Your Own Hawaiian Musical Instruments" by Jerry Hopkins.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  4:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for teaching me something interesting.

See: http://www.alohaplentyhawaii.com/ukeke.htm

Also see a 1998 Star Bulletin article titled, "Treating hula with respect"
quote:
'Ukeke -- a little known Hawaiian mouth harp -- is part of tomorrow's world premiere of a three-act hula show created for the theater.

"It has a very soft, strumming sound," says Michael Pilikukunaokala Pang, whose middle name means "you are like the rays of the sun." "The 'ukeke is not a very loud piece. It dealt with words of love that people would communicate between each other."

I also read a story about the `ukeke being used to reference an imported instrument, the "`ukeke lele" which became `ukulele. Dancing flea or dancing bow? No one knows for sure, though.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000