Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ka Mele o Kaho`olawe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  09:32:52 AM  Show Profile
Aloha käkou,

Okay, I *know* I don't have this one in my livingroom.

Reid and I heard a beautiful version of what I think was the Kaho'olawe song (from the lyrics) on the radio. I'm not sure of the exact title, either. (Could be just Kaho`olawe) Once again, no info from the dj.

It was a woman singing – a warm, beautiful, lyrical voice – with a man putting in some harmony behind her. It was a fairly long song, with lyrics mentioning Kaho'olawe and Kanaloa, and talking about the lifestyle of the people who (once) lived there.

Auntie Maria is working on her sound clip problem (server-DSL problems), but for now it isn't working. Anyway, a search there suggests it might be Steve Ma`i`i and Teresa Bright, since all the other artists that came up are male....

Any thoughts, anyone?

Once again, Mahalo for your Kokua!

Aloha,
Sarah

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  09:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Did you make sure you checked behind the sofa? :)

Anjani Thomas did a duet with Henry Kapono called 'Kanaloa'.

Here are some lyrics:
Kanaloa, Kahikimoe
Kanaloa, Kahikimoe
ua ala hou mai nei makou
(we have awakened on this place)
me ke aloha Kaho'olawe
(you are cherished, Kaho'olawe)

If that doesn't ring a bell, you can find a Real clip at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/anjani and lyrics at http://www.anjani-music.com/ (under music, under the album called Anjali).

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?

Edited by - rd2ruin on 07/17/2003 10:00:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  11:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Man, Greg, you are *good*! Encyclopedic music memory - whoa...

I just listened to that clip and I am 95% certain that it is the *one*. In any case, it is gorgeous music and lyrics and we *will* get the recording. Sarah has a better memory (better everything, in fact) than I do, so she will know for absolute sure.

You are a handy guy to have around :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  11:51:57 AM  Show Profile
That's IT!!!

Oh, Mahalo, e Greg! That's IT!!

ooooooooo, chickenskin!!

You guys are too good. I never thought to search for Kanaloa. And, I had forgotten that part of what caught our ears was there are some slack key "references' worked into the instrumental parts.... Very nice.

I am so happy....now, I am going to go buy one CD!

me ka mahalo a nui loa!
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  12:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Hui!

Guess what, the credits say that *Ozzie* is who is playing ki ho`alu on this beautiful song "Kanaloa"!

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  2:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Sarah and Reid

Im glad you found the song. I listen to it
and it sounds great, your vocals will fit in
just perfect.

So who's going to do the male back up?
ok Reid, "This Is Your Big Chance"

Love you Guy's
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  4:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kevin,

Well, we sure are Lucky! ...to find two songs in two days! All with the help of the taropatch 'ohana! (Just think, 365 days in a year....365 songs?? )

"Kanaloa" is great...and very moving. (I'll be really "lucky" if I ever learn to sing this one!)

me ke aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  4:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Kevin, my friend, you *know* I have no talent. I think Ikaika does the best backups Sarah could wish for. He was so good singing behind her (and all the other musical stuff, too) at the Festival.

You know, I was at the side of the stage with Sarah while you guys were doing the first two numbers and Owana was on deck, standing with us. She asked in an amazed voice, "Who is playing that?" (Meaning, who is doing such a nice job?) When I said, "Ikaika." She said "What, That little boy?" I broke up laughing, 'cause she still thought of Ikaika as a child prodigy. Which he was, but he is a big guy now, and better all the time.

Back to Kanaloa: Sarah will have to multitrack or rearrange it.

E malama pono
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  4:53:01 PM  Show Profile
To tell the truth, I'm just good at finding stuff on the Internet. I never heard of Anjani or the song before. Now if I could find a job (looking for two years) and all my missing socks (looking for 35 years), I'd really be set. :)

Just happy to contribute LOL

Okole maluna!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  5:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Do what I do...buy all your socks in the same make, color, and style. That way you never have more than one unmatched sock.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000