Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kihoalu Festival Pictures!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  5:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
The name of the gentleman on the left of Cyril (Andy is on the right) in pick #12 is Claude the master "Bass" maker. He donated the upright bass that was raffled off along with the Taylor guitar at the slack-key concert. His generousity overwhelms me. Have a good many...
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  02:43:24 AM  Show Profile
HI ED!!!!!!!

Mahalo nui loa for all the photos! They were great fun to see, since I don't have mine back from the shop yet. (Film) But were you not able to get some shots of the KANE HULA?

Yes, some of the kanes had been practicing the song Ulupalakua! They got on the stage with pareos wrapped around their waists, Claude had a giant leaf covering his front, and George K was there right in front. I would have never believed it except I saw it with my own eyes.I was playing on stage.

By the way, the wahines danced not Ulupalakua, but Papalina Lahilahi (Oh, those rosy cheecks!)

I knew I had experienced a historical moment when during camp, I offered to play my ukulele and sing Ulupalakua for the kane practice, and played while George and Keoki Kahumoku and the others danced the hula! A first for me! Usually it is the other way around.

We are still floating on Cloud 9 after those wonderful days and nights at the Mauian. Nice, sweet old hotel, no phones or TV's in the rooms, lots of food and music non-stop. Kanikapilas everynight. A very special visit to Kahakuloa (sp?) Valley to work in the taro patch, picnic and swim in the stream, then a short kanikapila in the shelter. Ont the way there we stopped at Nakalele point, a sacred place where many souls jumped off the cliffs from the real world into the spirit world. Chickenskin!!!

There were some very memorable moments along the way. Auntie Edna coming from Puamana and explaining the story behind the song that her sister Auntie Irmgard wrote. George falling asleep and snoring LOUDLY during Steve Grimes guitar maintenance lecture just before the performance at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center. Playing along with Cyril Pahinui, Ozzie Kotani, George, Carlos Andrade, Rev. Dennis Kamakahi and his son David, George falling asleep resting his head on his guitar during kanikapila and continuing strumming. Wally dancing E Huli Makou and breaking up into laughter when he backed up into a long microphone about 2.5 feet high.

I thank everyone who was there for a phenomenally good time. Sad it's all over for another year, but the memories will last forever...
Aloha, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 06/29/2003 03:19:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  10:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ed,
Diana did not participate in the on stage performance this year. She was sitting out in front and enjoying the music. Maybe next year we can get her involved with the uke and I will make sure to introduce you. Jerry
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  11:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Julie,

I did have a picture of the Kane Hula. Yea that was hilarious! It's in the album now.

ed

hina
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  9:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Julie and all my new friends from the Maui workshop. I miss all of you! Its lonely out here on Johnston Island! It was great dancing the hula with you Julie,you are a beautiful dancer, thanks for helping us in practice. Do you remember the last part of KOALI, the second dance we were learning? I know all of it except the part after the flag. Looking forward to seeing all of you next year. NO KA OI
Aloha
Hina (Jennifer)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  11:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Jennifer,

Great meeting you in Maui. Welcome to the `ohana. Like me, I'm sure there are others who have never heard of Johnston Island! Aloha!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  3:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Bill Slackkey!!

Thanks so much for all your kind words, and your glowing and colorful report of the festival. And, I'm slow on the uptake -- but you wrote a *poem* in there, too!!! You're the Best, Bill, mahalo nui loa!

Haven't seen you post in a while...hope you are enjoying a nice vacation or something!

me ke aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000