Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 (not Hawaiian Music) Kim Char Meredith Tour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ronellej
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  12:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ronellej's Homepage
Please note that the following is not Hawaiian music, and I've added an addendum below in quotes. -Admin

I'm scheduling performance dates for Kim Char Meredith, a popular, guitar playing vocalist from Hawaii. Kim is interested in playing at Hawaiian venues, luaus, house concerts, etc. She still needs locations to play in Boston (Aug. 14-18), New York (Aug. 19-24), Washington DC (Aug. 27-31), and beyond (see website-www.kimchar.com- for complete list of cities and dates).

Kim writes her own music, mainly in the pop/rock category. She is a Hawaii Music Award winner ("Favorite Pop Recording Artist"), three-time Na Hoku Hano Hano award nominee (Hawaii's "Grammy"), and she opened for a Melissa Etheridge concert in Honolulu last summer. She is touring for 4 months to promote her most recent CD release, "Give and Take" (Passionate Women Records).

You may obtain more information and listen to Kim's repertoire at www.kimchar.com.

Please call my toll-free number as soon as possible if you have any questions or are interested in scheduling a performance.

Admin writes: Kim Char Meredith's music does not fit the scope of this website but call me a sucker for having a soft spot for trying to help a musician who's mainland bound from Hawai`i. In an offline reply email, Ronnelle sent me the following:
quote:
I apologize for any controversy that has come up. Certainly my purpose is to get the word out about Kim, particularly to Hawaiian communities across the country. In areas where we don't have any contacts this has been difficult. Because Kim is well-known and enjoyed by many in Hawaiian communities I'm hoping to find some of her followers who are interested in hosting her. That was the purpose of my posting since we are in the process of searching for venues rather than simply advertising upcoming concerts.

If you feel the posting is inappropriate then please do remove it. I usually meet with a friendly response to my inquiries but can see where this might be considered outside the purpose of your site. Kim doesn't write or perform traditional Hawaiian music.

Again, my purpose was mainly to inquire and to inform. The last thing we intended was to offend anyone.

Aloha,
Ronelle J. Armstrong

Thank you, Ronelle J. Armstrong
Tour Coodinator, Passionate Women Records LLC
Now booking Kim Char Meredith's 2003-04 U.S. Tour
Toll-free: 1.888.450.6619 ext. 3 (8:00 am to 9:00 pm PST)
www.kimchar.com

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  7:03:48 PM  Show Profile
Andy,
Hate to be a grinch, but this looks to me like another commercial message. 1 post, pop artist -- Anybody tell Ronelle that this site is about slack key?
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  9:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
This one is in a very gray area. Part of the TaroPatch.net mission is to, "Show appreciation for Hawaiian music and for those who make it." To me, the main focus of this site is slack key but it is not limited to slack key. It extends to other genres of Hawaiian music. So the first question is, "Does Kim Char Meredith play Hawaiian Music?"

I happened to see her perform at Sunset on the Beach at Waikiki last month. To me, her originals sounded Melissa Etheridge inspired but definitely more pop/rock than Hawaiian.
quote:
Her website says:
Meredith also endeared herself to many contemporary Hawaiian music lovers with the inclusion of her Aloha Festivals/KCCN Song Contest winner, "Ho`ala Hou".
Based on this, I'm willing to give the benefit of doubt here.

The second issue is that we have never had a post from a musician soliciting gigs, only posts announcing scheduled gigs.

RJS is right to question the post since we know little about Kim and her music. Her desire to play at "at Hawaiian venues, luaus..." implies Hawaiian music. It would certainly be nice if ronellej could elablorate on Kim's repertoire.

No decisions yet but my initial thoughts.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  10:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Kim was known as a gospel singer (non-Hawaiian) for quite a few years, but her latest release consists primarily of her own original contemporary compositions.

She would not be classified as a musician who sings/plays Hawaiian music.

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  03:11:56 AM  Show Profile
So Andy, without searching high and low, do you not have a specified forum for advertisements, etc.? If you had one specifically set aside for this kind of thing, those of us who are interested may go browsing around there, and those not interested may chose not to go there... Maybe one area specifically for searching for venues. Personally, I would like to learn more about what things are necessary to put on a show, just because it is intriguing to me. I was in a rock band in the sixties but didn't get a chance to learn about most of this showbiz stuff. (Bill Graham wasn't there when we looked for him in SF, so he never "discovered us".) Sigh, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  5:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

Read your comments (and Ronelle's) about why you are leaving the post on the boards.

Just want to say that I agree with your reasoning, and I think you're pretty cool for doing that! I wish Kim Char Meredith the best of luck.

Puna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000