Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Playing in groups, just chording the songs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  6:04:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BreezePlease

Pauline,

Two quick questions:

1) What tuning(s) are you playing, or trying to play?

2) In what key do you usually sing?

-dean

Hi Dean,
1) Taro Patch
2) Most of my singing is with ukulele, and I think my target is often E, which is, of course, awful to do on a C-tuned uke. C is too high to sing with and too low to sing under. Bb works sometimes.

Hey everyone else,
Thanks for your continuing contributions. I've also heard good things about the handouts from George Kahumoku/Ed Bigelow; a source for them for those of us who have missed the workshops would be welcome.
Mark Hanson, in his book Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, has parallel thirds and parallel sixths, a few shifts from D7 to G, chord fingerings for G,C,D,& D7 and a few fingerpicking paterns, all in Taro Patch. Then he leaps into Ray Kane's "La Paloma" with no more than a passing remark that you might find pieces of the building blocks in one or two of the tunes he has transcribed. I want more hand-holding, sigh.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  6:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Send a SASE to George requesting the handouts and he'll send them to you.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  09:52:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Then he leaps into Ray Kane's "La Paloma" with no more than a passing remark that you might find pieces of the building blocks in one or two of the tunes he has transcribed. I want more hand-holding, sigh.

Aloha e Pauline,

For what its worth – to me, La Paloma is too hard for beginning to learn slack key with...

I'm not sure, now, if you are still on the topic of playing with others, or if it's about vamps, or if your speaking of learning to play in general (or all of the above).

However, if it's hand-holding you want, there is nothing better out there in book-land than Ron Loo's books and tapes. He takes you thru measure by measure on the accompanying tapes. And as I've said before somewhere, his arrangements are an excellent source of a variety of traditional, easy-to-play vamps. Couple birds with one stone, there

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  11:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Ed Bigelow's Napili Booklets are excellent resources, and it's kind of Ed and George to offer them here for SASE.
I use mine all the time!
Ed, are you going to "publish" these one day?

Ross
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  11:21:12 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Ross

I've been trying to e-mail you since a week after the workshop but, it keeps sending it back to me. ( e-mail.)

Is it still the same, or maybe im doing something wrong.
Was great working with you and the rest of the taropatch ohana.

Malama Pono
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000