Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Strumming technique
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  10:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Armed with my new `ukulele and a few classes with Cindy (Slack Key Lady), I am ready to practice.

So the other night, after strumming the chords to Henehene Kou `Aka, I noticed a few marks on my sparkling new, unblemished uke. So here's my question: Is this normal or is my strumming just way out of control? I suspect it is the latter, because when I practice the spanish strum that Cindy taught us, things are in control and I'm not inflicting damage to the instrument or things around me.

My dog has fleas,
Andy

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  12:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi Andy -

I think you hit on it when you said you didn't contact the instrument's face when you practiced strumming, only when playing a song. Sounds like exhuberence takes over!

I'd guess that your long-slack-key-playing finger nails are the culprit. I have the same problem, particularly with the ring finger and pinky. Those two nails tend to get long cuz they don't get as much wear.

I've got a question for you -- I'm helping Annie with her `ukulele practice. I missed Cindy's class, so I'm trying to recreate the lesson. On the second stroke of Cindy's Spanish strum, which finger starts the "fan-out" movement? Is it like a rasguedo, starting with the index finger? Or from the pinky?

Thanks!

BTW: Annie's mnemonic for remembering the tuning is Good Cows Eat All.

Moo to you.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  12:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Ok, I'll refrain from further Pete Townsend windmills on my uke.

On the second stroke of Cindy's Spanish strum, the pinky starts the "fan-out" movement - if I recall correctly. Cindy? I have it on video so I can check later.

No more the Who on uke,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkeylady
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  12:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit slackkeylady's Homepage
Uke Dudes!
How cool you're all honing your 'Ukulele Power!

The way I do the 'Spanish Strum' is with the backs of my nails starting with the pinky and fanning out....you can do it 'rasgueado' style too....whatever it takes to achieve that 'Dededown' of the 2nd part of the strum that goes: Down Dededown Up Down Up Down Up
1 &2 & 3 & 4 &

Fortunately, my Mele uke has pick guards on either sides of the strings. I bet Jake Shimobukuro's uke is all scratched up (unless he has guards).....and even Ohta San's looked a littled scruffy last time I saw his....he had one of his old Martins. I have one like it that is mostly just dirty(cracks were patched with bondo before my friend sanded it off anf gave it to me). It comes with the territory I suppose. Don't let a few scratches hold you back if you want to wail.....wail.....unless the trade off is too much (skill vs. sratched up uke).

The pinky nail can poke holes in your finish pretty easily....to cut or not ot cut it? That is the question. I'm leaving mine there ...sometimes I chop it off before I record...or you can put tape on it.....feels weird and can get in the way. My guitar has little tiny dings in it from my bad ol' pinky nail.

Vanity Fair?

Willie Nelson has worn holes in one of his guitars....my ukes already have enough holes thank you....sound holes that is.

Wish I could come over for coffee Annie!!! Keep Your Lovelight Shining Hour By Hour With Your Ukulele Power!!!!!

Aloha Nui Loa, Slack Key Lady
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  10:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Andy (an' da CyberSlack`ohana),

You can buy clear plastic pickguard film from places like Elderly and FQMS. (Look on the web and use their 800 number.) Cut it to shape and just lay it down where you want it below and/or above the soundhole. It adheres by vacuum - just press the air bubbles out. It will be just like the one your McCollum guitar. Then you can beat on the strings - but cut out playing the Who. Kay?

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  11:31:55 AM  Show Profile
Those clear plastic guards were included in a beginner's guitar accessory kit I ordered. Cute name - Cling Ons.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  9:03:11 PM  Show Profile
How does a beginning ukester (Ukist? ukestress? Ukestrix?! See, I am pretty new) learn strumming technique? I've just started and am having to teach myself out here in the wilds of western Connecticut. I've got a few books, and Jim Beloff's video, with some inspiring segments with Travis Harrelson et al., but I could really use some sytematic home lessons. Are there videos that would help? Special practice techniques? Any tips you pros and soon-to-be pros can suggest? Thanks in advance...I think I need lesson from Cindy next time I visit my in-laws in HI, maybe.
Carol

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  08:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Carol,

Where in the wilds of western Connecticut are you? We are in the wilds of south-central Connecticut. :-)

Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Carol
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  10:56:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm in New Fairfield. What about you? Did you see the uke show in Stamford this spring?

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  11:44:44 AM  Show Profile
We're in Hamden. We didn't get to see the uke show -- did you? I thought it was pretty amazing for a small museum in Stamford to put on something like that :-)

Go to Top of Page

Carol
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  10:39:55 AM  Show Profile
I did get to see it--it was great! This was before I had a uke of my own, though I had been wanting one for a while, and the show was really inspiring and just plain fun for the whole family.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000