Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Blue Grass Ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  09:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
so, i was at the windgap bluegrass festival this weekend. dr ralph stanley, who will be on jay leno tonight (mon. june 10), was brilliant, and i got to meet him backstage before he went on. but the highlight for me was rhonda vincent -- bluegrass female vocalist of the year, and one of the most beautiful women on the planet. i had a 1940 blueburst gretsch camp uke with me -- in near mint condition, btw, with the tailpiece for a strap intact.
anyway, when rhonda and her band Rage finished their set, they hung around for photos and autographs and such. i took my uke and got the whole band and the incredible miss vincent to sign it. she oohed over it a bit as she signed. and the rest of the band was very respectful of the instrument. the last to sign was her fiddler -- an 18 year old lad out of tennessee. he signed, and said "i love the ukulele!" and danged if that boy didn't break into a fast rendition of one verse and chorus of "ukulele lady".
i would say i got me a real bluegrass ukulele. yes indeedy!

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  7:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi uj, i've not visited jim' discussion board in awhile, so it's nice to hear from you again.

it's pretty obvious that the ukulele can stand in for a mando pretty well. but, flatpicking techniques for bluegrass guitar migrate over reasonably well to the ukulele. for example, bill monroe's "rosa lee mcfall" is beautiful on the uke in the key of F. his rippling hammer-ons and pull-offs sound perfect.

some hawaiian uke players use what to me sounds like a flatpicking technique to extract the melody from the chords. heeday kimura does this.., anyway, you can do a great version of "aloha oe" in the key of F by strumming the chords and picking out the melody at the same time with your thumb.

then again, whenever i throw in a G run all my friends at the kanakapila look alarmed. :0)

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  9:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
then again, whenever i throw in a G run all my friends at the kanakapila look alarmed. "

LOL

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000