Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 What to get? Where?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  10:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Advice and opinions, please.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 'ukulele but know nothing about them. What is the most all around style of 'ukulele? And who makes them?

I heard about one fellow who's getting $4000 each for them, the Japanese love them, but I was hoping for something far more reasonable.

For Northwesterners, do you have any suggestions for stores in the Seattle area where I could try them?

Pauline

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  02:40:56 AM  Show Profile
Go to Dusty Strings in the Freemont area of Seattle. They have a nice selection in stock right now from reasonable to high end, both older and brand new instruments and various sizes. For cheap, the Fluke has a surprisingly nice sound, although an unconventional look and they have several of those in stock.

They are now also carrying a few instructionals in Ukulele and Slack Key, as well as a small collection of recorded music. I just love this shop and have to drop in and see them every time I come down. I just impulse bought a guitar from them, sheesh.

Check them out at: http://www.dustystrings.com/

And when you are done shopping, you can drop in around the corner for some great Greek food.

aka Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  03:04:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion! I've been there a couple of times looking at guitars; I'll have to look around more. I'm a little afraid of falling for a harp if I go back.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Their harps and dulcimers are amazing. I knew them years ago when they were working out of a little basemsnt in their house. I bought one of their first dulcimers.

aka Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  10:39:27 AM  Show Profile
Holy Smoke!

In that pic on Dusty Strings' Uke page, they have a *harp* `uke and a *resonator* `uke. I can't believe it. Those forms have been made for the guitar since the early 1900's (Dyer by the Larson Bros, for example), but I can't imagine what a `uke would sound like constructed like that. Harp guitars (and Paul McGill resonators) are amazing sounding guitars. Those `ukes make me lots more interested. I wonder who made them? Pete Howlett (a Brit luthier) is carried by that shop. Maybe he made them. Please ask them if you visit the shop and then tell us.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Drop them a line. They aren't always prompt, but they do answer their emails!

aka Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  10:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
...In that pic on Dusty Strings' Uke page, they have a *harp* `uke and a *resonator* `uke. I can't believe it....

Reid, resonator ukes have been around since before wwII. National made them in metal bodied versions back then, and they're doing it today. Eric Schoenberg (www.om28.com) has a John Morton metal bodied reso uke but he doesn't have a picture of it up on his site yet. John Morton is an aerospace engineer who builds fantastic handmade resonator guitars. I think this is his first uke.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  8:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Pauline,

For what it's worth, if your not real sure about 'ukuleles I'd suggest trying a Fluke. For the money they are very well built, have great intonation and project very well. Elderly Music has them for the best prices. I added a concert model to my arsenal of instruments a about 18 months ago and I've never regreted my choice. They're funky looking but a great value.

--Pops

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  11:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Pops,

Thanks for the tip on Elderly. They carry a lot of ukes, but the Flukes are the cutest! Leopard print? That would match the fearsome predators of Hawaii's jungles.

Reid,

Elderly has pictures of a different harp uke plus a steel reso uke.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  08:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Leopard print?!?! I went to the 2001 Uke Expo in Monclair, NJ and took this photo during the open mic. Yes, the `uke matches the outfit!

The Expo was fun with workshops and vendors, but the highlight for me was seeing Chris Kamaka, Asa Young, Byron Yasui and Bryan Tolentino perform at the evening concert. Anyone want to go this year? The Expo will be in October. More info here.

See ya there?,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  10:19:39 AM  Show Profile
That dude is wearing cow camouflage with mouse ears?

Maybe he's dressed as his favorite computer, so the ears are appropriate.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  11:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Check out the mother of all ukulele sites.
http://ukes.com/links.html

----------
Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  12:56:19 AM  Show Profile
Great site, thanks Dusty. Following some links led me to 4 tracks of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, IZ's songs, http://www.geocities.com/~ukulele/iz.html

I started to listen to the sound of the uke, but got swept up in IZ's singing.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the links.

I added `uke links on the "General Links" page. Let me know if you have any more favorite `uke websites.

Aloha,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  6:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

In regard to the Uke Expo, how fun is it? I could drive there in about 10 hours. Does the fun factor exceed the drive to New Jersey?

Mahalo,

Pops

Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  11:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
Pops, the uke expo is probably the most fun you can have on the mainland. imagine a huge, well appointed old hall with hundreds of people who totally "get it" about ukes. i don't have to drive 10 hours. but if my family and i move to north carolina, i Will drive 10 hours to be there this fall.

Reid,
you also might want to check out http://www.beltona.net for reso ukes. last month, i played one of his beltona blue concert size ukes that someone had at the ukulele fever museum exhibition in connecticut. it's made out of fiberglass, and plays great. a reso uke of one brand or another is my next uke purchase.

btw, the reso ukes on the covers of 2 of my cds were the idea of the guy who did the artwork. but i've lusted after a reso for a long time. the beltona blue -- i'm not saying that's my final choice, but since pauline mentioned price at the beginning of this thread -- go for around $600, as i understand it.

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000