Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Black Bear Ukes/Quality makers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

El Jefe
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  12:28:16 PM  Show Profile
I have long heard of Black Bear ukes and have yet to see one.
Does anyone own one or has played one...

Also along the line of the higher quality ukes..anyone have recommendations

Even though I build the ocassional uke I also buy the ocassional uke
looking for something with no frills and lots of character..
good sound and playability...preferable a lesser known maker..
not a production instrument

Thanks

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
ive seen several that the builder has sold on ebay, one was just
sold a few days ago, its body was made from an old wooden cigar
box (he says he had braced it etc), still had the cigar maker logo
etc printed on the front, double soundhole. it was a real neat
looking if unorthodox uke. i think it sold for 300-400$. another i saw
had a real colorful paint job with different colored translucent tuner
buttons. theres none on ebay now but check now and then, theyre
always interesting.

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  8:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi el jefe,

black bear are supposed to be one of the best ukulele makers around; i've had friends mention them in the same breath as kawika. i had the chance to play one once, and it was a beautiful and responsive ukulele.

rm saul in san luis obispo makes some beautiful sounding ukuleles. he makes some out of the hardwoods local to where he lives. the last time i checked, he only makes sopranos. he does tend to gussy them up, but even the simple ones are beautiful sounding to my ear.

i seem to keep meeting hawaiians who are home ukulele makers. then again, a lot of hawaiians are amazingly self-sufficient. i would guess that a few weeks touring one of the islands trolling for local makers would result in some beautiful uke finds. (it sounds like fran will be able to give a great trip report...)

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

El Jefe
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  10:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies

Not sure I mentioned this on another thread but the Saul's intrique me as well
They have an incomplete web site..but what I see is very clean...

Also saw on the Flea Market site Bulletin Board where Pete Howlett may be coming back with his instruments...

The kanilea has one model with a concert body and a tenor scale with a spruce top that looks nice at around $1095..
Little fancier than I want.. but very nice...they also have these toned down a bit

My guess is that you are right about some of the unknown home builders

But insome instruments there is just a "magic" about them

Others have all the basis covered ..well made etc..but dont have the character of play ..dare I say soul..

And I dont know if there is a recipe for this or not

I marvelled at the socalled "repros" that essentially look like turn of the 19th/2oth century makers but they did not have the "it"

My guess is that one day I will stumble on something..it will be beyond my financial prudence and I'll buy it anyhow!!

I guess I must be odd man out when I dont take a shine to some of the most sought after instruments..I marvel at the exactitude of construction but they don'tget" me and I don't "get" them

Samefor all things I suppose

Again thanks..

El Jefe

Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  10:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
el jefe,
are you familiar with joel eckhaus' instruments? http://www.earnestinstruments.com

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  10:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just a side note: Shame on me. I did not know that Joel Eckhaus is a luthier. I've seen him perform in Boston, MA and in NJ last year at the Uke Expo. Student of Roy Smeck, Joel played some entertaining western swing. "It's not cool to sit on the sunny side of the pool" (this might be paraphrasing) was a highlight for me.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  11:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
el jefe,

saul has a web site? can you send me the URL? i talked with him about two years ago. it sounded like he welcomed people dropping by and seeing his studio. i've since misplaced his telephone number. i'm going to be up that way in a few months and would like to stop by.

you're right that there are all different kinds of ukes out there. i tried some "third wave" ukuleles once and was surprised at how dead they sounded even though they looked pretty.

taking it one step further, i am wary of getting any instrument without having played it first. you're a luthier, and so this is probably old hat to you, but as an experiment, go down to some good guitar store and try playing as many guitars, all of the same maker, model and wood, as you can. when i've done this, i have found an enormous variation in their quality of sound. i was talking with john kitakis (the luthier of ko'olau ukuleles) about this because i ordered a ukulele from him and so expressed my worry. he says that the differences has to do with the variations in the wood. and, i know that different finishes have a huge effect on the sound (a local luthier, chris camp, regularly strips the finish of martin guitars for a country recording artist, since an unfinished guitar has a fuller sound than finished one).

speaking of ko'olau ukuleles, i've played a few of them and have been really amazed at how good they sound. i would place them at the same level as saul's ukes.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  2:14:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:

el jefe,
are you familiar with joel eckhaus' instruments? http://www.earnestinstruments.com

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets

Fun!! It would be so tempting to collect 'ukuleles. The serious ukes are also nice, but the others are so light-hearted!

Thanks for the link!

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 06/18/2002 14:18:34
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  06:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:

speaking of ko'olau ukuleles, i've played a few of them and have been really amazed at how good they sound. i would place them at the same level as saul's ukes.

I have a few more shops to visit but I can say that the instruments at Ko`olau were terrific. I don't know how to describe the sound of his koa topped tenors, except to say that they were sweet - they didn't sound like guitars, they sounded like ukuleles should.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  12:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e fran,

this is great! i'm living vicariously through your tour. keep the ukulele makers and concert reports a'comin'!

mahalo,
keith

Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
hes got a pineapple listed on ebay now...

Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  6:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
andy, joel had a table at the expo. his tenor guitars look awesome, too. when you saw him perform, was tenor git part of the act?

pauline, glad you liked joel's webpage. i'm not really a collector so much as accumulator and trader, as well as performer. but given funds to collect properly, i'd certainly start with a double order of eckhaus.

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  7:05:28 PM  Show Profile
"Accumulator"

Good word, a little closer to what I meant, too.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  10:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Uke Jackson,

The tenor git was not part of the show, as I recall. But I have never bragged about my memory being all that great either. Glad you brought it up though. I'll keep an eye out if I catch Joel again.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
Andy,
i've never seen him play it either. but he lists it as part of his act on his webpage. it may be you were at uke-specific shows.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000