Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Favorite songs for improvisation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  1:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

I've started to notice that some songs in my limited repertoire (now documented for the entire world in another thread ) lend themselves to wandering explorations more than others. I tend to noodle all over Slack Key Lullaby, and Kani Ki Ho`alu is no longer recognizable as the song in the book. When Derek (dhelby) and I get together we'll play Molehu forever, alternating each time through with one person playing it straight and the other improvising on top of it.

With which songs do you improvise more?

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.

bones
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  10:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Howzit Braddah Chrispy. I usually feel comfortable playing around with E Liliu E. I'ts a simple melody to add to. At least to me at my stage of learning.
aloha
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  09:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e bones,

Funny you should mention E Lili'u E. Same for me, it was maybe the first song I could "elaborate on" – putting in extra notes and making harmonies.

For me, I have to know a song really, really well before I can even think about improvising around it. That's why E Lili'u E -- it was the second song I ever learned.

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  10:37:36 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, E Lili`u e for me, too. Especially since Bill showed me some things that I had not noticed in my ignorance. 1. You can get the parallel 6ths into the D7 vamp on the 4th, 7th and 5th frets just by using an extra finger (giving 4/2, 7/5, and 4/5). T'anks e Bill!. Then, he suggested substituting a declining parallel 6ths run for the second D7 vamp, so I did, starting at the 9th and 10th fret and ending at 4/5 G. Then, I stole some moves from Ron Loo's "Kealoha" and chimed at the 12th A and alternated with the 9th fret A. Then threw a hammer on the 5th and a hammer/pull off D7 at the 2nd fret. After Bill pointed some stuff out to me, I started using bits and pieces of "vocabulary" that I knew from elsewhere, that fit in with the song.

Of course, Lili`u is the only song I can do that with ;-(

BTW, don't even try variations with Led's version, becaue they already *are* there - his whole version is just random variation chunks that happen to fit the song. His is easy enough to follow, but it hasn't any logical structure that I can discern.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  8:29:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Reid,
Wow ~ I wish I understood everything you just described. I think I gotta long way to go before I can do anything improvisational, but I sure admire anyone who can!
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  9:34:45 PM  Show Profile
So there are lots of folks who improvise on E' Liliu E??

Hmmm.... Sounds like a good song for that other thread
on virtual kanikapila that konabob brought up.

This is one of the tunes I "used to know" and so I could
bring it back quickly for a virtual kani session.

Whaddya thienk - should we propose it for a group medley
via file exchange?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  12:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Sounds like I need to add E Lili`u E to the "Working On" list. Is that in any of the standard books? I think I have them all now.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.

Edited by - Bruddah Chrispy on 08/08/2003 12:46:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  12:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Chris,

Ron Loo has E Lili`u e (and a very good simple version it is) in his first instruction book. That is the one I added to per Bill's suggestions. Bill recognised it as a reduced version of Leonard Kwan's Dancing Cat arrangement.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  12:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
It's also on Led Ka`apana's video.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000